• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sirius/XM Channel Changes

Effective July 17th Sirius/XM will change their channel lineup. Means re-setting a bunch of presets.

Link is at ... http://blog.siriusxm.com/2014/07/10/siriusxm-july-17-2014-channel-additions-and-updates/

In my case they are deleting a channel I listen to 90% of the time. Sent an e-mail to Sirius/XM telling them I am re-thinking my subscription. But at 23 million subscribers, I doubt that they are going to do much :)

Nobody's going to admit to being a heavy listener to Vivid Radio (formerly Radio Sex), and you're probably not the right demographic for 20 on 20, so you must be talking about Pops. I'm in the other classical camp -- I listen fairly often to Symphony Hall. I'm hoping that the combining of the two channels doesn't limit the "new" Symphony Hall to only the best-known works, or put the old warhorses and trendy favorites (I'm looking at YOU, Pachelbel "Canon"!) in saturation rotation, with lesser-known works only played once in a blue moon.

I imagine that eventually there will be nothing much but obscenity on satellite radio. Internet is the way to go.

Sirius/XM Pops had a limited playlist as well (think 'Four Seasons' and 'Pines of Rome'). As a very very 'Ex' classical announcer, I could have done a lot better job of programming within the format but limiting the repetitions. That is why I liked having two classical channels. One gets bad and there is always the other. Since I suspect that I and quite a few others are aging out of the demographic, and since the Met probably subsidizes their channel, that 'Symphony Hall' will be on the hit list shortly.

If anybody was really interested I could almost name enough channels to be equal to the rock channels (e.g. Baroque, Mozart, 20th/21st Century) but that will never happen.

An 8 gig flash drive is about 123 hours of music (if my arithmetic is right). Probably last me for six months of driving without a repeat. And since my cell phone carrier, no longer charges me for streaming Pandora, I am going to have to start looking at that (but I have technical issues being in the MON (Middle of Nowhere)).

Where will Holiday Pops go this year at Christmas? I love listening around Christmas. We actually listen to Pops stream on the app anyway during the rest of the year at home.

Someone named Dale Bryant complained on the Main Facebook page of SiriusXM about Pops being discontinued. An XM representative named Ann responded, saying, "Our analysts told us that Pops wasn't attracting the young demographics were (sic) after." This service is now mainly for your friendly back alley hoods. I wouldn't listen to anything these creeps broadcast, not even Escape or Symphony Hall. May the Internet chew them up and spit them out to rot in the sun.

What they sent me ...

"Our goal has always been to provide a wide range of channels that satisfy the diverse tastes of our 26 million subscribers. Please visit our Channel Update page for more information."

I am sure that the statement speaks for itself (sarcasm intended) :)

I find it sad that SiriusXM just cannot create a country station with 90's-today like the old Nashville on XM or a station covering a wider variety of years. Their country offering is pretty poor.

Someone named Dale Bryant complained on the Main Facebook page of SiriusXM about Pops being discontinued. An XM representative named Ann responded, saying, "Our analysts told us that Pops wasn't attracting the young demographics were (sic) after." This service is now mainly for your friendly back alley hoods. I wouldn't listen to anything these creeps broadcast, not even Escape or Symphony Hall. May the Internet chew them up and spit them out to rot in the sun.

Woooh! What is the demographic bit? These are not advertiser supported channels we're talking about, these are subscriber based channels. If they start touting that demographic crap I'm taking my money and going elsewhere. Satellite radio used to be an alternative to terrestrial radio, not the same old thing. Boy they have really messed up a good thing.

As I have posted elsewhere, I have 'voted with my feet' and cancelled my subscription.

And, yes, I believe that Sirius/XM cares a lot about demographics. You need to know who is most likely to write a check for the subscription. I also suspect, without having run the numbers, that Sirius/XM mirrors the terrestrial FM radio dial in numbers and types of stations (by category), e.g. Rap, Hip-Hop, Country, Top 40, Talk.

Woooh! What is the demographic bit? These are not advertiser supported channels we're talking about, these are subscriber based channels. If they start touting that demographic crap I'm taking my money and going elsewhere. Satellite radio used to be an alternative to terrestrial radio, not the same old thing. Boy they have really messed up a good thing.
That remark by Ann was there for a while and then evidently taken off. About everything Ann and Jess say about SiriusXM POPS is irritating. I am starting to regard SiriusXM as the great red light district in the sky. I don't think they are fit for anything decent. These two representatives are just saying what they are told. Think God for the Internet and the smartphone!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom