• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Delilah Change..

I remember hearing once that none of it is live, that what you're hearing are actually calls from the night before, produced into that night's show. I have no way of confirming that, but with the polished, almost over-produced sound that the show has, I have no reason to doubt it.

Yes, that is the way they run the show. Delilah takes phone calls all evening from her home studio. During the day, someone puts together the show, calls & songs (Hopefully with a better blend thank Kokomo for someone's dying mom.) that they run that night...while Delilah is taking calls for the next night.

Delilah also records a night weather report for a few markets.

Last edited:
If I called into Delilah, I would actually request a song. 99.9% of the time, the listeners say "find me a good song for my daughter" or "play a song for my husband" or whatever. I would say "I would like for you to play Phil Collins' "One More Night"..."

-crainbebo

If I called into Delilah, I would actually request a song. 99.9% of the time, the listeners say "find me a good song for my daughter" or "play a song for my husband" or whatever. I would say "I would like for you to play Phil Collins' "One More Night"..."
I can only think of ONE occasion in which I ever heard a caller ask Delilah for a specific song (although I don't remember what it was!), and to her credit, she played it!

Despite the reputation that Delilah herself has for boring, bland, "sleepy" music, I can't help but notice that sometimes, Delilah "outrocks" whatever the other AC station happens to be playing. I live within range of Lite 98.7 in Hopkinsville, KY (still a Delilah affiliate station, last time I checked) and Mix 92.9 here in Nashville (a former affiliate station that dropped Delilah two years ago). 92.9 now has local programming on Sunday-Thursday evenings, with Tom Kent on weekend evenings.

One way to assure you never get on the air!

Then explain to me why I hear so many songs requested on any of Tom Kent's shows? If it's the weeknight version, "Lovin' Life Livin the 80s," or the Ultimate Party. People call in and request a CERTAIN song quite a bit on there. Delilah is just "play whatever you want, I don't care what you play because you've only got 250 songs anyways to pick from, and the song I would request is not on the playlist".

-crainbebo

I believe that this disconnect between what Delilah talks about, and what she actually plays, may be the reason behind the decline in her popularity. Listeners are finally beginning to see through it.

I seem to recall that a similar disconnect between what John Boy and Billy talk about, and what they play, was due to the fact that JB&B are programmed on some country stations, and some rock stations, resulting in different songs being played (depending on the station) between their talk segments (which are WAY too long for me, anyway!).

Delilah and music.

Then explain to me why I hear so many songs requested on any of Tom Kent's shows?

Because the Delilah show is put together differently (see earlier posts explaining how it is workshopped together from one night to the next. )

Also, syndicating an AC music show is a difficult environment these days, as PD's are very picky about what songs they want played, and what songs they don't want played. The syndicator, if they are providing the songs, have to trad very lightly. (Some stations like WLTW in NYC air their own music, so the telephone bits have to be able to go with any song the WLTW programmers schedule. )

I was wondering who would be the first to go there on the "dead dog" piece.

I once heard Delilah turn down a listener's request. The woman called in and said she was seeing a married man. Delilah spoke her mind about it, but didn't come off as condescending to her.

Yesterday I looked up WFEZ in Miami and was surprised to see Delilah is there. That station is co-owned with a station that plays the music Delilah plays, so that makes no sense to me. WFEZ plays The Carpenters and Barry Manilow and other soft classics, but it's not an AC.

Joy 92 in Myrtle Beach SC did the same thing fifteen years ago. Delilah's music sounded somewhat different then, but this was a station that played instrumentals! Not as many as they once did, but they were still "easy listening". After it was sold, the AC, co-owned as a result of that and another deal, moved to that frequency and kept Delilah.

A station co-owned with WFEZ in Miami that plays Delilah music. Hmm..., are you sure about that? I assumed you are talking about WFLC. Well that station is now a CHR. How's that Delilah music? It was an AC/Hot AC hybrid a couple years ago, then they evolved it into a Hot AC which didn't last long, and then they flipped it to a CHR.

If you were to say WFEZ's competitor, A.K.A. WLYF, it would had made more sense. WLYF sounds like Delilah music 15 years ago though. Not even Delilah music today fits WLYF completely alone. But I still would say Delilah music still fits WLYF a hell lot better than my local AC KVIL (err..., it's a Hot AC now).

Moreover, it seems bigger AC stations are slowly removing 70's and only focusing on the 80's, 90's, 2K, and current.
Not just bigger AC's. Most AC's big or small are slowly removing 70s music and most AC's are trying to position themselves as more variety from the 80s til' now. A few of the bigger AC's that are still playing 70s are WLTW, KOST, and WLYF. WLTW are hardly touching 70s though. The smaller AC's that are still playing 70s are WRVR, WLMG, KOSI, and WEAT. WLMG are hardly touching 70s though. The majority of the bigger AC's that have eliminated 70s mostly or completely, are WLTW (sort of), KOIT, and KODA. The majority of the smaller AC's that have eliminated 70s mostly or completely are KMGL, WMGF, KKMJ, WLMG (sort of), WASH, KRWM, and KKCW.

A station co-owned with WFEZ in Miami that plays Delilah music. Hmm..., are you sure about that?
I don't know where I got the idea they were co-owned. That would have been ridiculous, since their formats are so close together.
If you were to say WFEZ's competitor, A.K.A. WLYF, it would had made more sense. WLYF sounds like Delilah music 15 years ago though. Not even Delilah music today fits WLYF completely alone.
That's the station I meant.

Old Delilah jingles from GMI Media

I assumed that the GMI Delilah jingles was used until 2006 with the current Reelworld package featuring Emily McIntosh and Darnel Alexander, but it was updated in 2009 with the current musical logo

So? Who cares, aside from people who live wherever WJYE is located?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom