• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mainline stations officially in the hands of Alpha Broadcasting

Yeah, it was around 8:10 PM Monday evening (I'm thinking the confusion comes in with the boards being on GMT, or at least that is how it was for me until I found the setting to fix it) that they went out... which was why I thought it was odd. I know they were still off around 3 AM, so no telling how long it was. I'm pretty sure nobody is monitoring that station at all (or if they are, they're not quite doing their job). I don't know if it was ever brought up on these boards, but on Christmas night at midnight last year, their service that provided their Christmas music went off the air and they switched to some simulcast of a hip hop station for several hours, and they were completely oblivious to this until the next morning. Hopefully Alpha will do a better job keeping track of what is going on with this station.

You've gotta at least give them until after December/January so that they can do the Christmas music. And beyond that, they really do have a challenge if they're going to replace Easy Rock. As horrible as Easy Rock is doing, it is also hard to imagine what sort of format actually would work there. I sort of think they're better off just sticking with what they've got until they have a well-planned and well-researched solid replacement.

I agree. Someone needs to invest in 105.1. Poor thing doesnt stand a chance if they dont no matter the format. I think the conservative talk could have worked but they didnt invest in it. They dont invest in easy rock either but we shall see. The only thing that hasnt been tried much in louisville radio on the fm is sports talk. They wont go that route.

Why all this attention and discussion about a Class A FM with a bad signal? Nobody will ever notice it, no matter what they do.

It seems to me it's getting harder and harder for even the big stations to get noticed anymore, much less a third tier one.

105.1 has been the infatuation of this board forever. What to do with it? What to do? But you're right, WildCatGuy- there isn't much you can do. That station is hoping and praying to achieve 20th place someday.

It was LRS you know. Not the real LRS, but it did have the same name. Kinda like WAKY. You've got to respect that.

But that's what we talk about here- marginal stations and what to do with them. Or station sales and what the new owner will do with them. Or some station suddenly has a ratings spike and upsets the apple cart and we'll talk about that. QMF will have a good book and upset 107.7 and some of the Clear Channel cheerleaders will be on here blowing steam till the next book when things get back to normal.

This is mostly because the people that know things can't say anything. So we're left wondering what 105.1 is going to do. Because they sure aren't doing much now.

Why all this attention and discussion about a Class A FM with a bad signal? Nobody will ever notice it, no matter what they do.

It seems to me it's getting harder and harder for even the big stations to get noticed anymore, much less a third tier one.

I would say there are a couple of things that make 105.1 so interesting. One being that every format change they've made seems to dig them deeper into a hole. Not that any of their formats ever made them a major player, but every time they've changed their format, it seems to do even more damage than ever before. The "new rock" format on WLRS definitely had some devoted fans and had some attention, even at 105.1. There was a time when everything at 105.1 was live and local in all the key hours, and even if it wasn't a very highly rated station or very profitable (I have no clue how it worked for them financially, but obviously not well enough to maintain the format), it somehow managed to be a relevant part of the local radio lineup... even if their signal sucked. LRS Fest was a real thing even, and it attracted the big names of the artists actually being played on WLRS. And I think people knew the station existed and what it was despite their shortcomings. Then Main Line came in and started tearing up the station piece by piece around 2007/2008 and just seemed to make things worse every time they tried something.

I think another reason is just a quick observation of Alpha Media's portfolio of stations they own in Louisville. Their other stations are rather well-known and three tend to have very solid ratings (and while WXMA usually doesn't have the highest numbers, they're successful because they seem to be grabbing the perfect advertiser friendly audience from what I understand). But WESI is their red-headed stepchild. You can even tell a huge difference between what you hear on WDJX/WXMA/WMJM/WGZB versus what you hear on WESI. You can sense that they're not even trying on WESI. If WESI was owned by a local small time broadcaster who was clueless about broadcasting, it wouldn't be so intriguing. But they're owned and managed by people who sort of know what they're doing in radio, and unlike stations owned by the likes of Cumulus or ClearChannel (or other similar large broadcasters), they've never been owned by a corporation that just cuts their losses on underperforming stations and lets them be as they wish. Alpha, in particular, is large enough that they have the resources to make something work, but also small enough that they actually NEED to make everything work.

Finally, it's just the curiosity... what's next. Speculation is always fun. Nobody else in the area seems poised to make any format changes anytime soon (I wouldn't doubt it if one pulled a complete surprise on us, though), and this is where the curiosity is.

Has anyone listened to 105.1 lately?They sound terrible.It's like they turned up the volume and the audio is distorted.It's the opposite of what WAKY did a while back.You could barely hear them for a while.
I guess nobody at 105.1 cares if they sound like crap!

Remember summer of 2009 when lrs had terrible audio for awhile on purpose then next thing you know conservative talk was born. Perhaps a flip is coming sooner than we think??? Anythings possible...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom