• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Putting Millenials In The Driver’s Seat

Where do you find intelligent millennials who can talk? Its near impossible in NYC to find any who want to be talk show hosts.

exactly... I find they text all day and use apps....and are totally clueless on how to use Google search...... and we charge to use the studio and engineer and would waive the fee if we could find people smart enough or serious enough to try. Its almost like they hate the idea of using a library which is what Google is anyway.

exactly... I find they text all day and use apps....and are totally clueless on how to use Google search...... and we charge to use the studio and engineer and would waive the fee if we could find people smart enough or serious enough to try. Its almost like they hate the idea of using a library which is what Google is anyway.

Let's face it. We in this country have spent a generation or two of "dumbing down" our kids and this is what we have to show for it. I quite literally fear for our country. I've decided to at least take on the responsibility of making sure that my own grandchildren do NOT fall through the cracks of "modern education". I can't save the world, but I can at least try to save my own grandchildren. As long as I'm living, I'm going to try and instill a love of reading and then go about "molding their minds of mush" in the hopes that I can have some influence.

Where do you find intelligent millennials who can talk? Its near impossible in NYC to find any who want to be talk show hosts.

I'm not a "millennial" so to speak, but....I'm very interested in being a talk show host. In case you were curious, I'm thirty-four (generation X....I guess) and am located in Southwestern CT. Have sent some demo tapes out to talk stations in the area.

The advance of technology has made the modern passenger car virtually impossible for the average teen to work on. This, more than anything, has destroyed the car-teen relationship so prevalent in the "old days". Teens today see the car as just transportation and not a life style. Almost everything revolved around the car in the 50's - theater, drive-in (food and theater), cruisin', hobby, chick attraction etc. I see some kids doing that today but nowhere near the number when I was a kid.

Pass any urban high school parking lot now and see the difference. In the old days you'd have a number of home built hot rods, a few classics, some trucks and a few "rich boy" cars. Now it is almost all the latter. More girls are driving cars that daddy bought for them and most guys seem to like the econo-boxes where the stereo is larger than the motor. Student parking at my local high school is $75 per semester and the lot is full year after year (juniors and seniors only need apply). Kids are apparently more affluent now than back then. (Disclaimer: I do live in a more affluent area so my school may not represent most.)

My personal car is connected but I very rarely use any of its features. And I will teach my granddaughter, when she is old enough, that driving is driving and not fooling around with a variety of techno-gadgets on the dash. When you're good enough you get to listen to the radio (if they still exist then) but that is it. No texting, browsing, videoing, etc. In fact, she will probably get my car - after I have disabled all the tech gadgets in it.

One last comment.....I notice that most of the younger drivers around me tend to have players in their cars and are not listening to the radio. This also does not bode well for radio futures in the dash.

Last edited:
Let's face it. We in this country have spent a generation or two of "dumbing down" our kids and this is what we have to show for it. I quite literally fear for our country. I've decided to at least take on the responsibility of making sure that my own grandchildren do NOT fall through the cracks of "modern education". I can't save the world, but I can at least try to save my own grandchildren. As long as I'm living, I'm going to try and instill a love of reading and then go about "molding their minds of mush" in the hopes that I can have some influence.

That sounds like a quote from "The Paper Chase".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom