• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Retro: Wilmington, DE

upndownthedial

Frequent Participant
I didnt know anywhere else to post this, but I figured someone here may have TV Guides, or even remember... I was living in Philadelphia in 1955-57. We used to watch a TV station out of Wilmington. They had an afternoon kids show with a man and woman as host. I can't remember much else, but I would love to know if anyone has any info on the name of the show, or the hosts, etc.
Thanks.

Would it be channel 12? Channel 12 was on the air from Wilmington before WHYY moved there. WHYY used to be on channel 35.

1955-1957 was a very long time ago. Maybe see if a library in Philly or Wilmington has newspapers on microfilm/microfiche. Might I ask - What's so intriguing about the show or the hosts?

Yes, it was a very long time ago. That show had a write-in contest of some sort. I remember the host calling my mom and dad saying that they liked my submission and wanted me to come and be on the show. I got cold feet and refused. Tho, I had always wondered if I could try to find out who the hosts were and what the name of the show was. Unfortunately, the only strong memories I have about kids programming from that time is Miss Frances' Romper Room and Kukla, Fran and Ollie.
Thanks.

The Wilmington public library at Rodney Square in downtown Wilmington [the main library] had microfiche of old Wilmington News Journal and other old Wilmington newspapers there. That probably would be your best bet to find a TV listing with WVUE's programming listings. You might also find articles about the station through those old news papers which might also give you info. Good luck.

I remember a Santa Claus show of some sort being aired and I believe that Grady and Hurst did do their Summer Time at the Pier show via WVUE for a time, but I too was a kid and my memories may not be totally correct. Sadly there doesn't seem to be anyone who has much info about Wilmington TV from the channel 7 days at WDEL to the switch to channel 12 and then WDEL selling it and I forget the second calls, sold it to Storer Broadcasting created WVUE and turned in the license back to the FCC in 1958 when the station went dark. Even the folks at WDEL don't seem to have much in the way of history, knowledge, photos, etc, of their time as WDEL-TV.

In 1963 WHYY did move from Philly's channel 35 to Wilmington's channel 12 and the rest is history as the NET [National Educatonal Television] later PBS affiliate on channel 12 has done rather well. So apparently channel 12 finally found its niche. All of their operation is in a large facility in center city Philly, with a small modern studio in Downtown Wilmington to produce their only Delaware program "First" a weekly news magazine.

This whole "city of license" thing is ridiculous. Full power TV stations serve TV markets (regions), not cities. Most of the population no longer lives in old core cities to which stations are licensed. Commuting and shopping patterns have changed since 1934 and the largest segment of the population lives, works and shops outside core cities. Stations should be licensed to markets.

And why expect a station to tie up regional signal to produce a show just for New Castle County or any other small segment of the region? If so, then why not shows specifically for Delaware County, Chester County, Montgomery, Bucks, Camden, Burlington, Gloucester and the rest?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom