• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Any other retired has-beens who might find a home on WJAS?

A

Avid Listener

I wish Bill Cardille and Jack Bogut long, healthy lives. They'll always be treasured parts of Pittsburgh's broadcasting history. But sooner or later, they're going to have to hang it up for a well-deserved retirement.

Are they any other has-beens out there who might be welcome candidates to replace either of them when the time comes? In another thread, I suggested that Jim Quinn, who has proven that he can re-invent himself when he has to, could be one possibility. Can anyone think of any other likely candidates?

I read Dave James sometimes posting on the Voy nostalgia forum. Would he be a candidate for WJAS?

I think "veteran" or "seasoned talent" may have been a better choice than the phrase "has been." But your point is well taken on the two "senior broadcasters" you mentioned.

Moot point since WJAS will soon be changing formats. Bigger point is the nasty nature of the thread title suggests that George needs to have his meds adjusted again.

Maybe Karl, who runs the Voy forum, might be interested. It doesn't seem that he does anything else in Pittsburgh radio, does he?

Someone mentioned to me WJAS may be going talk w Quinn and Rose via posts on the Voy forum...and the other bits about country on 104.7, talk syndie shows to 970, sports to new translator et al

Someone mentioned to me WJAS may be going talk w Quinn and Rose via posts on the Voy forum...and the other bits about country on 104.7, talk syndie shows to 970, sports to new translator et al

Well, as they say, "Consider the source".

True but one never knows; supp. the WJAS deal with Q&R could well be happening but no idea what else would go there. It's said the signal used to be good, not as well now; the maps on radio-locator tend to be optimistic but maybe not realistic. Well I'll be in the area around Aug 17-2 or so, and when driving around can see for myself.

True but one never knows; supp. the WJAS deal with Q&R could well be happening but no idea what else would go there. It's said the signal used to be good, not as well now; the maps on radio-locator tend to be optimistic but maybe not realistic. Well I'll be in the area around Aug 17-2 or so, and when driving around can see for myself.

The thing is, the Voy forum is anonymous, so no one really knows who is posting what. Then you have Karl's anal-retentive censorship. So, if you read anything on Voy, you can be positive that there's a 50-50 chance that it's accurate.

True Voy is full of lots of innuendo and speculation more than anything else, but if Iorio were looking at Quinn it would make more sense to hire him as a talk host then to try and have him reinvent himself yet again. Plus one of Iorio's other properties is a talk station, so he could actually network a Quinn (or Quinn and Rose) show on more than one station, and if 104.7 were to drop talk, Iorio's other talk station already has agreements with many of the shows currently on 104.7, possibly giving him a leg up on relocating the same shows in this market.

True Voy is full of lots of innuendo and speculation more than anything else, but if Iorio were looking at Quinn it would make more sense to hire him as a talk host then to try and have him reinvent himself yet again. Plus one of Iorio's other properties is a talk station, so he could actually network a Quinn (or Quinn and Rose) show on more than one station, and if 104.7 were to drop talk, Iorio's other talk station already has agreements with many of the shows currently on 104.7, possibly giving him a leg up on relocating the same shows in this market.

I think you're correct. If I were a betting man, I would now put the best odds on Iorio switching WJAS to talk, but only because the rumors about 104.7 dropping talk now appear to be solid. Back when a reboot of 104.7 as country was only a pipe dream, then it made more sense to bet on Quinn reinventing himself in the mold of Bogut and Cardille. That's the trouble with making predictions based on the current situation as it appears. When things change, that impacts other things.

The only available has-been I could think of is George Erdner. He used to be on The Place on WQED 45 years ago.

http://triblive.com/aande/moreaande/6558425-74/iorio-format-former#axzz39Sk8dbxk
WJAS sale finalized; format expected to change

Monday - Aug. 4, 2014

Talk is expected to replace nostalgia on one of Pittsburgh's oldest radio stations, said an executive of its former owner. Renda Broadcasting vice president of operations Alan C. Serena said Monday that his company had closed on the $1 million sale of WJAS-1320 to Radio Partners LLC, owned by former Beaver County station owner Frank Iorio.

“Shortly, (Iorio) will move WJAS into his own facilities, where he is expected to flip the format to talk,” Serena said. “We wish Mr. Iorio much success.”

The new owner said it might be “a little bit yet” before a format change can occur.

“I'm absolutely swamped in stuff,” Iorio said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom