• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Multiple Versions of the Same Song

What I find enjoyable is the live versions of some of the slower songs because they usually rock up the tempo. I think it is a good idea to mix up the playlist with an occasional different version of a song, if it is available. Live versions of the Eagles, Doobie Brothers, etc. Same with long versions, especially at night. Sadly, I have never seen much info on listeners reactions to alternative versions of the same song. Limit their rotation, but an occasional curveball is not always a bad thing, or is it? Should be fun.

Last edited:
What I find enjoyable is the live versions of some of the slower songs because they usually rock up the tempo. I think it is a good idea to mix up the playlist with an occasional different version of a song, if it is available. Live versions of the Eagles, Doobie Brothers, etc. Same with long versions, especially at night. Sadly, I have never seen much info on listeners reactions to alternative versions of the same song. Limit their rotation, but an occasional curveball is not always a bad thing, or is it? Should be fun.

It would be fun, but it depends on who you ask. Ask a music fan, or even a casual radio listener, and they'd tell the truth and say they'd like it, though not too often. Ask one of the suits responsible for making programming decisions on the radio, they'd say they'd have to "research it", and get back to you. Then they'd say it wouldn't work, stick with a playlist of only 10 really good songs, repeated as nauseum.

I never understood why the Cutting Crew would approve a cold ending version of Died In Your Arms on the 45 RPM single, yet approved a faded version on the album Broadcast.

Seems like Mr. Mister did something similar for "Kyrie," but I doubt that I could check it out now because I only have it on cassette tape, and it is about worn out now. Damn cassette tapes!

Seems like Mr. Mister did something similar for "Kyrie," but I doubt that I could check it out now because I only have it on cassette tape, and it is about worn out now. Damn cassette tapes!

Yep, they did.

R

In most cases I don't particularly care for alternate/rambling live versions of a song designed for studio play because the additions/changes are superfluous and don't really improve the original. Take for example Fleetwood Mac's Landslide. I love the original, but there is something about Nicks' cadence in the live version that seems too "cute" and puts me off. Now Tusk, on the other hand, is far superior live, but that seems more the medium it was composed for.

One of my favorite rarities is the long single version of "Sometimes a Fantasy" by Billy Joel. The version on Glass Houses fades out at the end, but on this single version, you get to hear it "break down" at the end. If you have ever wondered how songs that fade out ACTUALLY end, here is a great example for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDLPEkmS5A

Check the touch-tones at the beginning of the LP and 45 versions. They are different. When the record was released one of them actually called "Root Beer Rag", the current Billy Joel fan club magazine. The other touch tones had a hang up tone and did nothing.

I like the one by Engelbert.

I heard "Fool on the Hill" this morning. The version America's Best Music plays the most is by Brasil 66, but they played The Beatles this morning. Not nearly as good, at least to me.

There are far, far too many to list, though I do have a fun little story on the topic. Back at my college station, a couple of the guys and I were in the studio working on a pre-recorded sports show late one night, and just to prove that no one was listening at 3:00 on a Saturday morning, I went into the air studio and changed the playlist to nothing but two versions of the same song back-to-back for a solid hour. No one ever said word one. We all laugh about it to this day when we get together.

I remember late in 1958 on KAIR in Tucson the DJ played Richie Valens' "La Bamba" every other spin for about 45 minutes. He would introduce another song then La Bamba would fire off. This was during the middle evening but I don't remember the day of the week other than it was a weekday (because I was working on homework at the time). Everyone talked about it next day at school and we all thought it was some sort of malfunction - until about 3 weeks later when The Day The Music Died took place - and we learned it was some sort of inside joke by the station's DJ's. Not knowing of course that Valens and two others would lose their lives in the plane crash in Iowa just days later.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom