• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Walrus

Why is the Walrus only playing the same 80's songs and some 70's songs? And no 60's?

For the same reason that nearly all "oldies" stations have morphed into "classic hits" stations: 60's oldies give a station a core audience in their 60's and 70's. There is essentially no ad revenue to be had for reaching listeners over 55, so stations constantly refresh, adding more recent years and deleting music from the farthest back in time.

What you do think they might do? Simulcast 1090? Is that even possible with Mexican stations?

Nick Summers

The name will change to Max and it will feature late 70's and 80's gold.

Per SDRadio, Nolan is out. Expect the other shoe to drop on a p.m. voice. 'Max', just around the corner...

Simulcast 1090? Is that even possible with Mexican stations?

Many stations in Mexico simulcast.

However, as Mexico reduces the number of AM stations by 85%, most of those will go away, leaving only the FM.

Yep, XHPRS morning co-host John Nolan quit in July, leaving Kim Morrison to work solo, and Rich "Brother" Robbin's final afternoon show will be August 8. Broadcast Company of the Americas, owner of XHPRS, has registered the domain names 1057Max.com, 1057MaxFM.com, 1057MaxFMSD.com, 1057SDMax.com and Max1057FM.com.

David, don't you think the United States should also reduce the number of AM stations? In every major market, there are far too many AM stations with a 0.1 or 0.2 share. I think that many of the foreign-language stations could be consolidated. And wouldn't fewer stations improve reception?

David, don't you think the United States should also reduce the number of AM stations? In every major market, there are far too many AM stations with a 0.1 or 0.2 share. I think that many of the foreign-language stations could be consolidated. And wouldn't fewer stations improve reception?

In Mexico, the regulatory body for radio has different rules on things like frequency separations inside a market and power levels. Because of this, they were able to make available FM channels for about 85% of all AM station in the nation. The only places they could not accommodate any significant moves were in the 4 largest cities as well as along the US border. The border zone has to obey FM rules that are essentially the FCC technical requirements and stations have to protect each other, mutually.

Mexico had under 800 AMs for 100 million people. The US has over 5000 for 325 million people, so there are just too many stations... particularly in the larger markets, to move AMs to FM.

In any case, fewer stations will not improve reception as the main obstacle to AM reception today is man made interference.

As to the foreign language stations, here we often have the most profitable second tier stations in markets like LA, Houston, New York, San Francisco and others. In LA we could not consolidate as we have stations or blocks in Farsi, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean,, Tagalog, Japanese and others which have no commonality. And such stations would resist elimination or consolidation as they serve very significant communities.

The stations that are just not viable will die of their own accord over time. But removing a few daytimers and poor-signal stations will not offer any real chances for improvement for larger stations.

As noted earlier, the PM voice was Rich Bro. Let's just say he wasn't planning on this outcome...
Sure, MAX-FM will be rolling in, officially... but... '70's & '80's ?... may only be...temporary...

Max FM---and why do I keep thinking of Barbara Feldon when I hear that name?---will play classic hits of the late 1970s through the early '90s. KOLA in Riverside-San Bernardino plays all thirty years of the '70s-80s-90s. I wonder why Max isn't doing likewise. Jack Diamond is the new morning show co-host with Kim Morrison. Prior to a 24-year run at WRQX in Washington DC, he had done mornings at country KSON. Christina Martinez, formerly at KRTO in Guadalupe, now does afternoons. The 1960s was arguably the biggest decade for pop music, what with Motown and the Beatles and Stones and Beach Boys and Four Seasons, and it's sad that very few stations still play any '60s hits. It's even sadder to think that today's young people probably consider the Beatles to be "old fogeys' music."

Hopefully it'll be good for Jack Diamond. He's a great talent who had incredible success in DC.

Apparently Jack knew the PD of Max when the two worked at KSON over 25 years ago. So it's a reunion, and a return to San Diego for Jack.

And the station's website URL is still walrusfm.com. Two weeks ago the owner of XHPRS registered five domain names: 1057Max.com, 1057MaxFM.com, 1057MaxFMSD.com, 1057SDMax.com and Max1057FM.com.....so why isn't the station using one of them?

In the past hour, the new Max FM has played Rich Girl, Sweet Dreams, Sweet Home Alabama, Summer Of '69, Brass In Pocket, Who Can It Be Now, Hot Stuff, Walk This Way, Addicted To Love, The Way You Make Me Feel, Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Pride (In The Name Of Love) and Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic. The station's slogan is "We play the songs that make you feel good." Actually they play the same burned-out big hits that we can hear on a dozen other stations. *Sigh*

Don't worry. I know that stations are going to play only a very small number of the biggest hits over and over and over. They don't care about those of us who would love to hear every song that ever made the top 40. One radio professional has pretty much quit posting on this site because he got so tired of arguing with a few zealous music fans on the KRTH thread. I don't want anyone else to leave. My August 18 post will be my only comment about Max FM---unless they play any unusual seldom-heard songs. I'm not expecting that to happen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom