• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Quick questions for Dan in Selma

Stevens

Frequent Participant
Got that website ready yet? How about Facebook?

How many people have you contacted this week regarding funding for you LPFM startup? Any appointments set?

Media interviews…how many? Have you put together that media kit yet?

1. Just set up a bank account for the radio station.
2. Still trying to get some interviews going. Will have to bug the local TV station and newspapers again. They haven't returned my requests for one.
3. Waiting for two local Churches to get back with me. Will bug them again. I want to have a meeting with them, since I have plans of airing their Worship service. Hope we can get something going in that area.
4. No social media or web page has been established yet. Will work on those things, very soon.
5. Fixing to get some free broadcasting equipment, soon as I hear from two people I've been talking with. They're now checking to see what they have. Hope they can come through for me.
6. We have a local chat room site, here in Selma. Topix is the name and I'm spreading the word, on their site, about my start up.

Dan <><

Last edited:
Find the name of the specific person that you should be contacting at newspaper and television and produce your press kit.

(http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/57260 and http://www.inc.com/guides/2010/09/how-to-put-together-a-press-kit.html)

Mail the press kit to that specific contact person -- including a couple of written options for possible story angles along with a cover letter that includes a time when you'll be contacting that person to follow up on what you've mailed. Follow up at that time. And don't limit yourself to just the Times-Journal. Contact any local Community or Shopper type newspapers too.

It's not about you choosing what churches you'll air. That's up to them. It will take staff and volunteer time on their part to make a broadcast happen. They may not have that time or manpower. They may not consider a radio outreach to be a viable ministry option for their church. And simply because you want to air their service, that doesn't mean they have any interest or obligation to support your radio station. Your better approach is to make time available to any local congregation and expect them to pay you for their airtime. Find the churches that are interested in your LPFM. It will be those churches that will support your radio station. Focus on who wants to be involved with you, not who you think should be.

As for Topix, it's a national website, not local to just Selma. Only a very small percentage of Selma locals will ever take the time to read that site -- the number interested in your radio station will be even fewer. You need to be spending your time working on the press kit, Facebook and your own website before you put much effort into something with the limited reach of the Topix site. (And frankly, I did a search of the site. The only recent mention of your LPFM appeared to be buried at the end of a non-related topic regarding construction near the Selma Walmart. And although the youtube link is a step in the right direction, better yet, set up your Facebook page and website now. Then create your own youtube channel with embedded links on FB and your website to video of the artists you'll be playing.)

Last edited:
One of the owners from WALX Selma and Brother Rob Moore of Moody South fame told me, I couldn't charge a set fee to air the Church services. I was only allowed to air them for free and take a donation of any size to help keep their block going. The Churches I want to carry would have free exposure from me and I would be helping them add to their Ministry.

Still trying to get some interviews going with the local media, as I post this. Hope to have some in place, real soon. Will bug them this week and see if they're interested in doing it.

Waiting to see if I'm going to get some free broadcasting items, for the building side of things. Hope my two contacts will come through and have some stuff for me.

Still working on making my online presence even bigger. Will have one real soon. Stay tuned for it.

Dan <><

Last edited:
So you can't charge to air a church broadcast? I certainly appreciate that I've learned something new today. Can you please direct me to the specifics of that at the FCC website? I'd be interested in reading more about it. Although what your friends have told you is in direct contrast to what I've always understood as standard practice. In fact, Sterling Communications states just the opposite on their website, writing that "...non -comms differ from commercial FM stations primarily in that they are not permitted to accept revenue in exchange for broadcasting 'spots', yet they may charge for broadcasting programs."

(Source includes more detail at http://www.christianradiohome.com/comm-noncomm.asp.)

But no matter who is right, it's not about what you'll offer for free or what help you think you can be. It's not up to you to choose a select few for broadcast. It's up to the church. You want to be involved with ministries that want to be part of your LPFM. That's where you'll find donations. And frankly, if you're going to reflect the fullness of Selma's church community, you have to resist the temptation to limit air time to only those churches who meet your guidelines.

As for the media, it's not about "bugging them." There are accepted practices that you need to learn to follow. It's all about first impressions. That's what a press kit is for. That's why I continue to try to stress the importance of finding a specific contact person and getting that press/media kit produced and distributed to that person.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Just spoke with Mr. Rob Moore. He also informed me that I could charge some to carry the services. Now working on getting some interviews conducted. Still excited over this radio station. Want to see it through, to the finish line. Thanks for all your help, so far, Mr. Stevens. I appreciate it.

Dan <><

P.S. Your info was very helpful. I read every word of it. Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

An Update: Now working on my press kit. It'll include the infamous Q&A session, telling everyone about myself and the benefits of supporting this radio station.

Last edited:
A new update: The kit is coming along. Trying now to get everything I need for it. Have my Q&A session part, the coverage area map and some pics of the singers, completed. Getting a proofreader to check out the Q&A session. If I need to include anything else, let me know. I want this kit to be professional and done right, so people can take me seriously.

Dan <><

P.S. Yes I intend to make the most of this dream and not let it slip away. Too excited to give up now. Want to see WPJB-LP through.

There are some things in broadcasting that you CANNOT do, even though you MAY do them. More precisely, you theoretically have the ability to do them, but it would be so wrong or have so many negative repercussions that you wouldn't want to.

If there is no rule against something, that means you MAY do it. But just because something is legal doesn't mean you should do it.

No one is suggesting that WPJB-LP try to profit from airing a church broadcast.

Nor is there anything wrong with WPJB-LP expecting to be compensated for the limited expenses related to airing that church broadcast.

If you're willing to back up your opposing viewpoint by writing a check to underwrite those broadcasts, I'm certain that WPJB-LP will be more than willing to take your money.

Last edited:
When I worked with an LPFM in Ohio, they absolutely could and did charge for the air time to run church programs.

Great job on that one. It got the important information out there. An excellent first step.

How are things moving with social media and the website? And how long will that video be available from the WAKA site? Be sure to embed the video on both the Facebook and web page.

And be sure to follow up with the reporter you talked with. A quick thanks and brief details of the response you receive from the story. Then continue to follow up with him regarding further details as the build out of your station progresses.

Be sure to include a mention of the TV story with further distribution of your press kit to other media sources. Or simply send a letter letting them know about WAKA's coverage. Again, this TV story is just a first step.

As an old program director friend of mine always said…press on.

Last edited:
They tend to keep that on site, for a long time. Will work on the social and web things, real soon. Me and him will keep in touch. I promised him I would.

Dan <><

P.S. Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it.

New station puts faith in new programming

Published 1:37pm Sunday, July 20, 2014

Selma resident Dan Presley‘s 1996-2003 experience on a Christian radio station led to a vision to build his own station. (AFR Selma) In less than a year, that dream is expected to become a reality.

Presley is making final preparations for WPJB-LP 93.3 FM, also known as Jesus Radio, which is scheduled to become operational between December and May. The nonprofit Christian radio station will play contemporary Christian to execute Presley’s mission to spread positivity in Selma.

“I feel that Selma has had need for this station for years, because of all the crime, violence and evil,” Presley said. “I want to help put a dent in some of that in Selma if I can.”

Created under the People for Jesus Radio Broadcasting Company, Jesus Radio station is located at 608 Park Avenue, off of Summerfield Road.

The broadcast area will be approximately within 12 miles of the 100-watt transmitter.

Featured artists will include Twila Paris, Steven Chapman, Larry Norman, Keith Green, Dallas Holm, Michael Smith, Tobymac, Third Day, Jeremy Camp, Newsboys, Leeland, Kevin Derryberry and more.

Presley wants the music to appeal to those ages 18 to 54.

“Those are the ones that still don’t have a gospel radio voice of their own,” Presley said. “I want to help bring a voice to Selma that will have a positive influence on them.”

He said he also wants to help create more job opportunities with the new station.

With a goal to raise $10,000 for operational costs, Presley’s hoping the community will provide some financial support.

People can donate money, music, broadcasting equipment, paneling and more.

Donations for the radio station can be mailed to WPJB-LP, 608 Park Avenue, Selma Alabama, 36701. Checks can be made payable to People for Jesus.

“Help is greatly appreciated, but regardless of whether you donate or not, you’ll be able to enjoy our broadcast with no on-air advertising,” Presley said.

The radio station has not been completed, but Presley has already earned a fan.

His mother, Patsy, said she loves Southern music, and she’s looking forward to praising God as a listener.

“We owe all this praise to the lord,” Patsy said.

Read more: http://www.selmatimesjournal.com/2014/07/20/new-station-puts-faith-in-new-programming/#ixzz382MFrR5a

Dan <><

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom