• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can anyone suggest a good East Coast morning show to stream?

wadio

Star Participant
Here in the New York metro area -- the #1 market in the country -- since the acquisition of WOR by Clear Channel there is no news/talk morning show worth listening to anymore.

WABC carries Imus who should have retired years ago. WOR has an interim host who would be adequate on a small market daytimer, and WNYM (with a signal that barely reaches the tri-state area anyway) has Joe Piscopo who is big on ego but short on talent when it comes to news/talk. There's a morning show on a local suburban station that has potential but they fill much too much time with quizzes and contests.

Over the years we've listened to Howard Stern, Lionel, Curtis & Kuby, John Gambling and others. Until now there has always been something entertaining on terrestrial radio in NYC in the morning.

If we were in LA we'd be happy to listen to Bill Handel or Doug McIntyre (although last time I checked, McIntyre's show was too cluttered to be listenable.) Those shows can be streamed, but it's late morning here in the East.

So can anyone recommend a good news/talk morning show that airs live during East Coast Drive Time? Thanks.

Bill Bennett or Doug Stephan.

Paul W. Smith has a good show on WJR, but it's Detroit specific in most of its content, so it likely wouldn't fit the bill for you.

You could also find WSJ This Morning or America in the Morning. While these air early on the East Coast, if you're talking 7 or 8 or thereabouts you could find a mid-continent station that would be carrying it about that time to stream.

Sadly, one of the best, Quinn in the Morning, from Pittsburgh, has been cancelled.

I would try "Mornings on the Mall" on WMAL in Washington, DC. You can find them on iheart radio. They are live and local; but they deal with national issues as the station is based in DC. Brian Wilson and Larry O'Connor are the hosts.

Listening to "Mornings on the Mall" now ... sounds promising. I remember Brian Wilson from "The Nearly Famous Ross and Wilson" on WABC years ago and have heard Larry O'Connor doing fill-ins. Sounds like an intelligent show -- they're not trying to be funny with a bunch of scripted shtick (my biggest beef with Imus) and there's no pop-culture crap like the interim host on WOR is into.

I'll also check out Bill Bennett. I vaguely recall listening to him once and thought the show was a bit dull but I could be wrong. Doug Stephan I can't stand -- just my personal taste. I find his "happy talk" style nauseating and I despise "top-10" lists -- a complete waste of time when you could be having a meaningful discussion instead.

I also remember Paul W. Smith from the short-lived business format on WMCA just before Salem bought it. Good listen but I get what you're saying about the Detroit show being too local. Same for Bruce Elliot out of WILM, Wilmington. I used to enjoy his Saturday morning show on WBAL but the weekly show is too local and much too cluttered (same problem as Doug McIntyre on KABC.)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Doc Thompson has had several shows on traditional radio. He had a local show on WXYT-AM in Detroit during it's brief return to Talk in 2011-2012 before flipping to the CBS Sports National Feed.

Doc Thompson has had several shows on traditional radio. He had a local show on WXYT-AM in Detroit during it's brief return to Talk in 2011-2012 before flipping to the CBS Sports National Feed.

I knew that part, I think most of the Blaze hosts are real radio people. It would be interesting to see them try their hand at radio. Maybe it's a matter of waiting for Beck's contract to expire.

I have an Internet radio and I enjoy listening to a lot of different news talk morning shows. There is a lot out there. This morning I'm listening to KLBJ out of Austin,TX. I compiled a list of the Top 50 or so markets and I choose a news talk station from each one to sample. With an Internet radio you just punch in the call letters and the stream begins.

Are they ever going to try to get the Blaze "radio" shows on real radio. Seems like they'd be at least as good as the second and third tier of talkers.

With the other ventures Glen has, I'd assume they might consider digital radio "real radio", or at least, the future of it? The Blaze Radio seems to have a pretty big following.

I sampled Doc Thompson's show. Just not my thing. He kind of sounds like Glenn Beck lite to me and I'm not a GB fan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom