• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Most affiliates of one network on one cable system

Time Warner in Caldwell OH (Noble County - Columbus DMA) carries four NBC affiliates:
WTAP Parkersburg WV (channel 2)
WCMH Columbus (channel 4)
WTOV Steubenville (channel 5)
WHIZ Zanesville (channel 9)

Time Warner in Cambridge OH (Guernsey County - Columbus DMA) carries all but WTAP.
WCMH (1004) and WHIZ (1009) are in HD.

Suddenlink in Blythe CA (Los Angeles DMA) carries three FOX affiliates, two of them in HD.
KECY El Centro (SD 2)
KSAZ Phoenix (SD 10/HD 110)
KTTV Los Angeles (SD 11/HD 111)

Comcast Lewistown PA (Harrisburg DMA) carries WPSU State College (Johnstown DMA) instead of WITF. Lewistown's other cable provider, Nittany Media, does carry WITF, along with WPSU and WVIA Scranton in SD and HD.

Comcast in Lambertville, NJ carries four PBS members in SD and HD!
WHYY Wilmington, DE (SD 12, HD 812)
WNET Newark, NJ (SD 13, HD 813)
WLVT Allentown, PA (SD 21, HD 793)
WNJN Trenton, NJ (SD 23, HD 800)

Comcast also carries educational independent WYBE (channel 20) and subchannels of all four PBS members mentioned above.

Maybe this thread should have limited the question to commercial network duplications. Multiple PBS stations are almost the norm, since so many PBS stations overlap or offer secondary service. On Time Warner Cable in Northern NJ, we have three PBS stations:

WNET 13 Newark-New York
WLIW 21 Garden City NY
WNJN 50 Montclair NJ (NJ Network)
Plus we get WNYE-TV 25 New York, owned by Board of Education, which runs some PBS shows.

WNET controls WLIW and the NJ Network, so rarely do these stations run the same program at the same time. We also get the PBS subchannels from WNET (Kids and V-Me) and WLIW (Create and World). A former Family Radio station, WFME-TV 66 West Milford NJ, now called WNYJ, runs MHz Worldview. TWC has not changed the call letters on the Program Guide. It still says WFME.

Comcast in Brattleboro, VT carries 3 ABC (Manchester, NH, Boston and Adams, MA), 2 CBS (Boston and Burlington, 2 NBC (Boston and White River Junction, VT), 1 FOX (Boston), 1 MY (Boston), 1 CW (Cambridge, MA), 1 TEL (Merrimack, NH) and 3 PBS (Windsor, VT, Keene, NH and Springfield, MA). Comcast listings also show ION, but not sure if it's channel 21 from Concord, NH or the national feed (the same without the local T.O.H. station ID). I'm surprised that only CBS 3 and NBC 31 are carried from the Burlington/Plattsburgh DMA. Neilsen places Windham County, VT in the Boston/Worcester DMA. Maybe it's got to do with Keene, NH in Cheshire County next door? It sounds like Brattleboro and Keene compete for some of the same ad dollars. 103.7 FM of Keene is fairly good signal-wise heading up and down US Route 5, the main north-south drag in town that isn't I-91.

Comcast in Brattleboro, VT carries 3 ABC (Manchester, NH, Boston and Adams, MA), 2 CBS (Boston and Burlington, 2 NBC (Boston and White River Junction, VT), 1 FOX (Boston), 1 MY (Boston), 1 CW (Cambridge, MA), 1 TEL (Merrimack, NH) and 3 PBS (Windsor, VT, Keene, NH and Springfield, MA). Comcast listings also show ION, but not sure if it's channel 21 from Concord, NH or the national feed (the same without the local T.O.H. station ID). I'm surprised that only CBS 3 and NBC 31 are carried from the Burlington/Plattsburgh DMA. Neilsen places Windham County, VT in the Boston/Worcester DMA. Maybe it's got to do with Keene, NH in Cheshire County next door? It sounds like Brattleboro and Keene compete for some of the same ad dollars. 103.7 FM of Keene is fairly good signal-wise heading up and down US Route 5, the main north-south drag in town that isn't I-91.

3 from Burlington is a dominant VHF (and also gives that area of Vermont state news).

Time Warner, TSC and WatchTV, serving Auglaize County, Ohio, have three CBS affiliates: WHIO from Dayton, WBNS from Columbus and WLMO from Lima.
Conversely, TSC carries only once NBC, ABC and Fox, all from Lima. Despite being in the Dayton DMA, WHIO and the CW are the only Dayton channels the system carries.

I don't know which system, but by the time of the switch to digital TV in 2009, Time Warner was serving Myrtle Beach, SC, and only the local NBC affiliate WMBF, which had just signed on, was left after WIS Columbia SC was removed despite objections, along with WECT Wilmington NC which had been the area's main NBC affiliate for years before a change in its signal range due to the switch to digital. But I can remember when WCIV Charleston SC was also on the cable system. Eventually all the Charleston stations were dropped, but I can't remember whether that happened before or after WCIV moved to ABC. WWAY Wilmington was the ABC station before WPDE Florence, which came later. I don't remember whether WCBD (or WCIV) was on the same system after WPDE was added.

Time Warner, TSC and WatchTV, serving Auglaize County, Ohio, have three CBS affiliates: WHIO from Dayton, WBNS from Columbus and WLMO from Lima.
Conversely, TSC carries only once NBC, ABC and Fox, all from Lima. Despite being in the Dayton DMA, WHIO and the CW are the only Dayton channels the system carries.

Auglaize County is actually the Lima DMA......In fact in 2013-2014 when it moved to Lima, WHIO petitioned the FCC to permanently move it back to the Dayton DMA.
http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7521065670

Last I checked, it was in the Lima DMA

Ah ok. I know it has gone back and forth, and I do know Auglaize is always included on the weather maps for Dayton stations as if it is just as much a part of the market as counties considerably closer to Dayton.
I do remember the WHIO petition ... and from my experience, it is every bit as popular in that area as is mentioned in that document you linked. WHIO's popularity is one reason I am surprised WBNS has never been removed from the systems up there. Other than Columbus news, there is nothing WBNS provides that WHIO and other Dayton and Lima stations can't give western Ohio residents.

I'm not so sure I'd like being someplace where there was only one news option available (like apparently Lima is now).
I remember the Dayton stations banding together to buy newspaper and radio ads in Mercer and Clinton Counties, trying to keep both in the Dayton fold when Dayton was just barely hanging on to top 50 market status.

Dayton has definitely lost its foothold in Clinton County. Amazingly for as close to Dayton as it is (despite being in the Cincinnati DMA), the only Dayton channels carried on cable there are WDTN (in the digital tier) and WPTD from what I could tell. WHIO is carried on systems considerably farther away and out of the DMA, including in Washington Court House, Hillsboro and Chillicothe, but not in Wilmington. Was very surprised to see that.

Time Warner in Lima proper carries those 3 CBS stations too along with Toledo's ABC (WTVG). IN HD its just the Lima locals

edit: since the pdf is too big here is a c/p from their website of the locals in SD (Like I say HD is Lima locals + WBGU PBS)

2...............................GTV-2 *
3...............................CW Plus *
4..............................WTLW (IND) *
5...............................WLIO (NBC)
6..............................WBGU (PBS)
7...............................WHIO (CBS)
8..............................ION Television
9..............................WLIO 2 (FOX)
10...........................WBNS (CBS)
11..............................WOHL 2 (CBS)
12.............................WOHL 1 (ABC)
13.............................WTVG (ABC)

Last edited:
Dayton has definitely lost its foothold in Clinton County. Amazingly for as close to Dayton as it is (despite being in the Cincinnati DMA), the only Dayton channels carried on cable there are WDTN (in the digital tier) and WPTD from what I could tell. WHIO is carried on systems considerably farther away and out of the DMA, including in Washington Court House, Hillsboro and Chillicothe, but not in Wilmington. Was very surprised to see that.

The other odd thing is that much of Butler and Warren counties (closer to Cincinnati) get several Dayton stations. In fact, Wilmington is closer to Dayton than it is to Cincinnati

South Central Rural Telephone Co-op in Kentucky

Barren, Hart, Metcalfe & Adair Counties carries CBS from 3 markets (in HD no less)
Bowling Green
Louisville (but in Barren county its just non duplicate programming)
Nashville

They also have 2 ABC & NBC (BG & Louisville)

Charter Spooner, WI (Washburn Co/Mpls DMA)

has the Big 4 from Minneapolis and Duluth and ABC, NBC, FOX from Eau Claire

Ironically by road Minneapolis is the furthest away (76 to Duluth, 81 to Eau Claire, 110 to Mpls)

list of SD nets..bold is Duluth, Italics is Eau Claire, Mpls other
2 KTCA - PBS
3 KDLH - CBS
4 WCCO - CBS
5 KSTP - ABC
6 KBJR - NBC
7 WFTC - MyTV
8 WEUX - FOX
9 KMSP - FOX
10 WDIO - ABC
11 KARE - NBC
12 WHWC - PBS
13 WEAU - NBC
14 WQOW - ABC
15 WUCW - The CW
18 KQDS - FOX

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom