• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stranges Things with COX Meriden, Connecticut

MarcB

Walk of Fame Participant
COX Cable in Meriden, Connecticut still lets subscribers have cable service without a box, so my Mom downgraded the cable a year an a half ago and got rid of the box.

Channel 21 hasn't been any channel in over a year since they moved CSPAN. So for a while it said on Channel 21 CSPAN has moved to Channel 15. (It was only on 15 if you didn't have a box. Later they moved WGBY to 15 if you don't have a box). Then last summer for several months on Channel 21 was a message that says as of July 15th, 2013 (or was it 31st) LIN-TV was discontinuing CoolTV and to call LIN-TV if there were any questions. Strange Message considering CoolTV was never on Channel 21. It was 812. Then in the fall Channel 21 switched to Color bars. Then for about the last 6 weeks or so on Channel 21 was something strange. It was a frozen image of some creepy looking man. As strange as that was, as of today the message from last year about CoolTV is back on the screen, but it's off center so part of the words are cut off the right side of the screen!

As previous mentioned COX is one of the few cable operators where you do not need a cable box. All of a sudden on Tuesday they moved all the local HD Channels and Sub Channels. Before most of the HD Channels of the local station were on the actual channel number as if you were watching OTA. Now they're not.

74.1 WFSB HD (Was on Channel 3.1)
74.2 WTIC-TV HD (Was on Channel 61.1)
74.3 Antenna TV (Was on Channel 61.2)
74.4 WFSB Eyewitness News Now (Was on Channel 3.3)
75.1 WTNH HD (Was on Channel 8.1)
75.2 WCCT-TV HD (Was on Channel 20.1)
75.3 Bounce TV (Was on Channel 8.2)
75.5 THIS TV (Was on Channel 20.2)
76.1 WCTX HD (Was on Channel 59.1)
76.2 WVIT HD (Was on Channel 30.1)
76.3 COZI TV (Was on Channel 30.2)
77.4 PBS HD (Was on Channel 24.1)
77.5 CPTV Sports (was on Channel 24.3)
77.6 CPTV 4 U (Was on Channel 24.2)

This afternoon on one TV everything except the 3 CPTV channels switched back to how they were before. I re-scanned the other TV and everything except the 3 CPTV Channels changed back to how it was before.

Also they fixed it so WHPX-HD is on 26.1 instead of 16.2 and WUVN-DT is on 18.1 instead of 16.3

Other changes: TBS HD is now 116.3 instead of 14.2 and TVGN moved back one channel from 122.187 to 122.186

New: Infomercial Network: on 13.2 (which is 74 with a box).

Cox hd in ct

Now Cozi and Antenna have moved back and work on a Phillips TV but not the Visio TV

So big news in November as that is when Cox announces encryption in Connecticut. The good news a lot more HD and higher internet speeds. Don't worry tho the drop dead date of analog is not until early 2015. You will need a box tho. No quam tuner support.

So big news in November as that is when Cox announces encryption in Connecticut. The good news a lot more HD and higher internet speeds. Don't worry tho the drop dead date of analog is not until early 2015. You will need a box tho. No quam tuner support.

So that's when my Mom plans on filing a lawsuit against Cox.

If just about every other cable company has gone to encryption/mandatory boxes without getting their pants sued off, what makes you think your mom has a case against Cox?

Last edited:
Cox is just about the last cable operator to encrypt their network. A lawsuit would be pointless and thrown out before it even starts. Just like when Comcast encrypted, boxes will be given out for free at no charge for the first 2 years.

Just great. They're only letting you have 2 boxes for free. We have 3 TVs. One in the Family Room, one in my Mom's Bedroom, and one in the office. I tell you COX loves ripping off the elderly.
Do you have any boxes currently or are they all "straight coax".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom