Negative feedback for KROQ's 2014 "Weenie Roast" artist lineup
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Negative feedback for KROQ's 2014 "Weenie Roast" artist lineup

  1. #1

    Negative feedback for KROQ's 2014 "Weenie Roast" artist lineup

    KROQ has been getting some intense (and downright brutal and hilarious) lambasting on their page for the Weenie Roast lineup this year. Long time fans of the station seem to be disappointed with the station's choices for headliners for the longtime festival, in particular the EDM act (I say act, and not band) Avicii. Priceless quotes such as "2014's Weenie Roast, brought to you by KIIS FM this year" have been posted all over the page and even still there after the event was this past weekend. Rumors were floating that Beck, who was supposed to be this year's surprise act, was announced prematurely before the Roast to save face because of all the negative feedback. Obviously KROQ has ticked off their main listeners with accusations of selling out to the popularity of dance/EDM with the booking of the Swedish POP/EDM act, which ironically has only one song ever to be played on the station. This brings me to the question, does this stuff belong on Alternative? It's already all over the Pop, Dance and even Rhythmic stations. Does it need to be played on a station such as KROQ? Or should they stick to The Black Keys? My personal opinion is no, I think Avicii does not belong on KROQ, and it is not in line with their brand, as seen with their P1's being appalled at the inclusion of him. I mean, just look at the comments on their FB page, it's downright brutal: https://www.facebook.com/worldfamouskroq

  2. #2
    It's interesting because that specific act has been reaching out to several other formats, including country.

    http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...rosses-over-on

    He's most recently been working with Coldplay. Perhaps the commenters are reflecting their image of the artist, and not his actual music.
    Last edited by TheBigA; 06-03-2014 at 01:26 PM.

  3. #3
    Avicii is not alternative, neither is Lorde, Tove Lo, or any of these other pop acts that "alternative" stations are playing right now. The negative feedback is completely justified, especially when half of the alternative chart is also being played on Z100, KIIS, etc. Alternative should be a format to hear music you don't hear on these stations, not become Top 40 2.0. Stick with artists like the Black Keys and Foster the People and stop ignoring older artists like Beck, 311, etc.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestar4 View Post
    Stick with artists like the Black Keys and Foster the People and stop ignoring older artists like Beck, 311, etc.
    I doubt any of those folks would do the Weenie Roast.

  6. #6
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I doubt any of those folks would do the Weenie Roast.

    That's gotta be a joke that you say that because Beck played this year's Weenie Roast? And Black Keys headlined last year?

  7. #7
    E-Cam
    Guest

    Negative feedback for KROQ's 2014 "Weenie Roast" artist lineup

    Quote Originally Posted by bluestar4 View Post
    Avicii is not alternative, neither is Lorde, Tove Lo, or any of these other pop acts that "alternative" stations are playing right now. The negative feedback is completely justified, especially when half of the alternative chart is also being played on Z100, KIIS, etc. Alternative should be a format to hear music you don't hear on these stations, not become Top 40 2.0. Stick with artists like the Black Keys and Foster the People and stop ignoring older artists like Beck, 311, etc.
    To me, Avicii's "Wake Me Up", not to mention anything from Lorde, and Mackelmore's "Thrift Shop" is just as alternative as Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" and Beyoncé's "Drunk Love". It makes me wonder how come anything from One Republic, Train, or The Fray also get added on alternative if the format was gonna go that route?

    Anyways, my take on the alternative format these days. I don't mind some of the pop acts that are getting alternative airplay but at least add some cutting edge rock. Stuff like the Black Keys, Muse, Foster the People, Cage the Elephant, Awolnation and Imagine Dragons are what makes alternative the format it should be (same with older bands like 311, Rise Against, My Chemical Romance, and Linkin Park). To me, I think alternative needs to include some of the newer punk bands that don't get much airplay (i.e. Mayday Parade, A Day to Remember, All Time Low, etc.) and it wouldn't hurt to throw in a few hard rock bands like Chevelle, Three Days Grace, The Pretty Reckless, maybe Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, Asking Alexandria, and Of Mice and Men too (probably not something like Five Finger Death Punch or Pop Evil, unless it's ballads maybe? No, wouldn't consider Nickelback-like bands as alternative)

    I mean it is alternative rock and I feel that alternative should focus on newer rock. These days, I look at station playlists and find a heavy load of the 90's and sometimes, I don't see a lot of the 2000s alternative (most of the time it's overplayed "Seven Nation Army" and "Dani California"). There were a lot of good alternative songs that we never get to hear anymore and I could go on and list them all but I wouldn't. I get tired of hearing a Nirvana, Green Day, and RHCP song every hour so why should it be overplayed today? I don't hear "Baby Got Back" or any NSync song these days on CHR or Adult CHR. Why should alternative keep overplaying the 90s? That's like a Jack FM ignoring the 80s music.

  8. #8
    I actually like the direction of today's alt format. I'm guessing those who are saying "this isn't alternative", are ones who grew up on 90s/2k alt. Those of us who've been around longer remember that in the early days of alternative radio (in the 80s), the music was just like it's becoming today (more open to not just hard rock, but also electronic, hip hop, & other influences). Just look at the way synth/new wave defined alt in the early 80s & tell me EDM/Indie isn't doing the same today. Personally, I think it's refreshing that alt is moving away from the active rock sound .
    Last edited by BRH; 06-25-2014 at 03:20 PM.

  9. #9
    DDragon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BRH View Post
    I actually like the direction of today's alt format. I'm guessing those who are saying "this isn't alternative", are ones who grew up on 90s/2k alt. Those of us who've been around longer remember that in the early days of alternative radio (in the 80s), the music was just like it's becoming today (more open to not just hard rock, but also electronic, hip hop, & other influences). Just look at the way synth/new wave defined alt in the early 80s & tell me EDM/Indie isn't doing the same today. Personally, I think it's refreshing that alt is moving away from the active rock sound .
    There's still room for "heavier intelligent bands" but they aren't getting played and its not right. Why was it ok in the 90's for alternative to play heavy bands like Tool, Korn, and Rage Against the Machine along with the softer stuff but now they cant play that stuff. There's no diversity now and its just indie pop/rock mixed it in with the huge hits of the 90's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




     
Our Conferences
Useful Contacts
Community


Contact Us