• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Going, going, gone?

Has anyone ever heard of Frank Iorio, Jr? Is he someone who has worked in radio looking to run his own station, or is he someone outside the radio industry looking for a new business or maybe a hobby?

Since no one else looked anything up, I did.

From one source:
Mr. Frank Iorio, Jr. serves as President of Iorio Broadcasting of Radio Partners, LLC. As a sole member of Radio Partners, LLC, Mr. Iorio oversees the operations of six radio stations. He also serves as a Director of Circuit Research Labs, Inc. since February 26, 2007.

One of those stations, according to another source:
WRRN 92.3 FM

City of License:
Warren, PA

Format:
Oldies

Owner:
Iorio (Radio Partners, LLC)

WRRN is an FM radio station broadcasting at 92.3 MHz. The station is licensed to Warren, PA. The station airs oldies programming. WRRN is owned by Iorio.

There were other sources, but none that had more in depth information.

So, it looks like WJAS was bought by a guy who runs radio stations, at least one of which plays oldies. It appears that this isn't an indication that anything is "Going, going, gone?", does it?

First, it (the thread title) was posed as a question, not a definitive statement. Second, most of the information regarding Frank Iorio could have been had simply by reading the article I linked to. I doubt that he purchased the radio station simply to make it go dark, still he did buy a station that currently employs two people with rather long carers in broadcasting in Pittsburgh in Jack Bogut and Bill Cardille, so while Mr Iorio may opt to keep the current format, there certainly are no guarantees to who will be on the station or if it will be all syndicated fare.

Frank has been GM of lots of Pittsburgh radio stations. Including, 96.1, 104.7, 106.7, 107.9, 1250. he must know what he is doing.

Don't let it bother you. Just another typical attempt at sh*t-stirring from longtime poster Avid Listener/Radio Realist/News Dude all of whom are a sour old man named George in Georgia. It's amazing that he thinks no one is on to his tired ruse.

Don't let it bother you. Just another typical attempt at sh*t-stirring from longtime poster Avid Listener/Radio Realist/News Dude all of whom are a sour old man named George in Georgia. It's amazing that he thinks no one is on to his tired ruse.

Despite being old and sour, glad to hear "Radio Realist" is still around and doing well. I enjoyed many of the old man's posts--even if I was always trying to defend myself after he would argue with almost anything I posted on the old web form. :) He He.

I had not listened to Jack Bogut since around 1972. This morning I tuned in 1320 to see if he was saying anything about the ownership/format change. They were playing music, broken only by traffic & weather reports. When did Bogut actually leave and did he discuss it on the air?

I guess I could have checked around for the answer on Bogut: http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2014/08/07/Longtime-radio-hosts-say-farewell/stories/201408060181 Interesting that Bogut tells of being offered the morning show on WABC. Whether that was an actual offer or a possibility, it was rumored that OBrien & Garry were courted for a NYC morning show. I'm sure they all enjoyed Pittsburgh, but they also knew about Rege Cordic's LA experience. And, not many could make the move to acting like Cordic did (except Terry McGovern).

The shake ups at Renda are going beyond just the cuts/losses from the selling of WJAS, there are now cuts at WSHH with the most notable being Dan Dunlap no longer being on the air, and the existing hosts seeing their shifts juggled around, Shovlin and Cris Winter mornings, Sara Lockhart middays and Ron Antill on Dunlap's old shift. Last one left over there might want to turn out the lights at this point.

The shake ups at Renda are going beyond just the cuts/losses from the selling of WJAS, there are now cuts at WSHH with the most notable being Dan Dunlap no longer being on the air, and the existing hosts seeing their shifts juggled around, Shovlin and Cris Winter mornings, Sara Lockhart middays and Ron Antill on Dunlap's old shift. Last one left over there might want to turn out the lights at this point.

Basically Shovlin replaces Dunlap on the roster. I don't see this as earth-shattering. Shovlin also does promotions for the stations, and Renda has always valued multi-tasking.

If this were the only thing that has happened I would probably agree with you, but over the last few years we have seen Renda dump all of their Oklahoma properties, two of their three Pittsburgh stations and now they are making cuts at their third. Dan Dunlap is the most noticeable of those cuts though he was not the only one. The lineup changes are interesting in that Ron and Sara had been the morning show for quite some time and while not something I regularly tuned into, I am curious to see how a Cris and Chris show compares to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom