• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Oasis 103.7

Dr Wayne

Leading Participant
I can't say enough about this great station. The programming is superb. Lots of great jazz with few vocals. The day programming is full of upbeat tunes while the evening is soft and relaxing. These guys or gals really know what they are doing. Nice to have a radio station playing smooth jazz.

103.7 the oasis fron New Mexico but can listen online. During the day very upbeat tunes and at night relaxing tunes. Programming is super. Just a great station give it a listen and you won't be sorry.

We briefly had 'The Oasis' in Detroit on a translator. Martz had to drop it because of claimed interference from a station way down in Toledo for crying out loud. Glad the format lives on elsewhere.

I listen to 103.7 as well, online. It's probably the only smooth jazz station I'll touch nowadays. Amazing listener support the last 2 years and the advertising is going strong. Now, corporate pundits, what do you think now? ;)

-crainbebo

The Oasis is co-owned with a station I consult, and although I don't handle its programming (that is consulted by the best guy in the business for this format, Steve Hibbard) I think it is the best sounding Smooth Jazz station since before KTWV in my home market of Los Angeles got rid of Don Burns and tried to become more AC.

I love this station because they play more jazz than vocals. Could you imagine listening to a classical music station that plays a classical selection followed by a vocal. If I want vocals I will listen to a vocal station. Great programming on the oasis with just the right mix. The guy is a genius with his mix. I liked the Wave but they added too many vocals and than dropped the jazz so I no longer listen.

They play some VERY rare Al Jarreau and Bobby Caldwell...for example I hear Al Jarreau's "All Of My Love" and "So Good" sometimes. I never heard those on KWJZ even back in the early 2000s. I also enjoy how they blacklist Kenny G. Smooth Jazz without an annoying high pitched saxophone all day to drive you nuts.

-crainbebo

I listen to 103.7 as well, online. It's probably the only smooth jazz station I'll touch nowadays. Amazing listener support the last 2 years and the advertising is going strong. Now, corporate pundits, what do you think now? ;)

I'm always impressed with what that station's owner has done with some smaller facilities in one of America's most competitive markets.

I am guessing that they are able to monetize the format, as they have a nice "unique selling proposition" which works at the client and agency level.

That said, just because a station has lots of ads does not mean it is making money. Ads are priced by audience size, and sometimes they are sold too cheap to cover costs. A full log does not mean a profitable station.

From what I understand, they switched streaming hosts and/or providers and are required to use that provider's apps. If you visit the listen live page and save it to your homescreen, it will work like a single station app.

If you're like me and hate single station apps with a passion, you can get the "pro" edition of TuneIn and add the station's link manually. I've had the pro edition since before TuneIn offered a free edition, and found adding it extremely easy. That page doesn't hide streaming links very well, and you can find the stream easily if you know how to inspect elements and view page sources.

On my iPhone, if you're not on TuneIn, iHeartRadio, RadioPup or Radio.com, you don't even get a glance, let alone a listen. I also only bring up TuneIn and iHeartRadio at work. So, again, unless you're on those, you don't get a listen. I have all the ones I have on my iPhone on my iPad except RadioPup. So, I have some of the Townsquare stations and other favorites, like 103.7 The Oasis, manually put into TuneIn so I can listen to them on the iPad or at work.

I think the music mix on The Oasis is great! It seems they have live DJs from morning till evening, although I'm not sure if they're really there or they simply voice track that day so they can give brief weather. The overnight is obviously voice tracked. That DJ doesn't talk about the songs played or the weather. He just gives some station promos and thanks us for listening late into the night. But then I don't want the DJs to be intrusive, so it works well.

The station is really an AM with a translator in Albuquerque and another in Santa Fe. But I guess that's enough to cover the listeners who live close to those two downtowns. They don't subscribe to Arbitron, so we don't know how the ratings are.

The late night guy is Chris Cannon. He is taped - I think he does the same "thanks for listening to us" messages over and over through the night. Jeff, Katie, Blake and Steve sound live, probably voicetracked on weekends however. They do have some people on weekends, like Janet, and Jeremy Reynalds who runs the "Joy Junction" homeless shelter. The music mix is very very good. Better than smooth jazz stations I have heard in the past, even KWJZ.

-crainbebo

"The station is really an AM with a translator in Albuquerque and another in Santa Fe. But I guess that's enough to cover the listeners who live close to those two downtowns."

250 watts at 4000+ feet HAAT. We are not talking about 'cover the listeners'. We are talking about full coverage of ABQ/Rio Rancho here. And the 95.9 translator in Santa Fe comes in intermittently here some 50+ miles away. Interferes with the 95.9 translator in ABQ, but since I am not a listener to the ABQ station (any more) I don't care.

The overnight is obviously voice tracked. That DJ doesn't talk about the songs played or the weather. He just gives some station promos and thanks us for listening late into the night.
Point of information, so as to make the discussion clearer: "Voice tracked" does not mean what you are saying it does. It means someone is recording fresh tracks every shift that include song intros/outros, weather (when feasible), etc. And yes, some of the Oasis' air personalities are voice tracked. (I'm not telling you which ones.)

Overnights are what most of us call "jukebox with liners" or "auto-pilot". The music runs and generic liners play, but there is no daily update of liner content.

I also find amusing -- since I'm guilty of this myself on occasion -- the references that sneak through about "being taped" or "taping the liners" as we all know it's all audio files on a computer now.

This is probably the last Smooth Jazz station around. What a great station! I would only hope it will be around forever! I love this station and listen day long and at night while relaxing. If you are a fan of Smooth Jazz this is The Station! What great programming with more jazz tunes and less vocals.

This is probably the last Smooth Jazz station around. What a great station! I would only hope it will be around forever! I love this station and listen day long and at night while relaxing. If you are a fan of Smooth Jazz this is The Station! What great programming with more jazz tunes and less vocals.
The Oasis is a very nice find! I've got them on my iPhone as well. Reminds me of 94.7 The Wave's best days with Don Burns and the No Stress Express. AAA is my favorite format but smooth jazz the way it's done here is a welcome diversion. I also got into ABQ thanks to Breaking Bad :)

Not the last Smooth Jazz station, but close - we still have WSBZ, KYSJ and a few BA's around (like WMGF-HD2, KZIZ AM) - I still think KOAZ is the best however.

-crainbebo

I had a chance to listen to The Seabreeze and find it very relaxing in the evening. I like their evening program but their day programming is not up to the Oasis.

Back to KOAZ and listening to Steve Oliver and old Richard Elliot. I also downloaded a few of spiritof67's old JRN airchecks and it's so interesting how KOAZ today sounds like the old Jones SJ back then, alas with newer singles here and there. Must be the "Steve Michaels/Hibbard" spirit...

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom