• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cable systems located in one market that carry another market’s channels in HD

mvcg66b3r

Star Participant
ftballfan just mentioned that Charter in St Johns MI only carries Flint-Saginaw stations in HD despite being located in the Lansing DMA. Also Charter in Fayetteville TN (Huntsville DMA) only carries Nashville stations in HD, and then only the ABC, CBS and NBC affiliates. No FOX station is carried in HD in Fayetteville.

Until recently, Comcast in Holly MI (Detroit DMA) carried only Flint-Saginaw stations in HD, while Detroit stations were in SD. Now, the Detroit stations are in HD, while the Flint stations are often blacked out.

What are some other examples of this TV oddity?

Last edited:
ftballfan just mentioned that Charter in St Johns MI only carries Flint-Saginaw stations in HD despite being located in the Lansing DMA. Also Charter in Fayetteville TN (Huntsville DMA) only carries Nashville stations in HD, and then only the ABC, CBS and NBC affiliates. No FOX station is carried in HD in Fayetteville.

Until recently, Comcast in Holly MI (Detroit DMA) carried only Flint-Saginaw stations in HD, while Detroit stations were in SD. Now, the Detroit stations are in HD, while the Flint stations are often blacked out.

What are some other examples of this TV oddity?

Fidelity in Rolla, MO, officially in the St. Louis DMA but out of OTA range from those stations, carries Springfield MO's ABC affiliate instead of KDNL, also out OTA range for Springfield Stations, probably in OTA range of the Columbia/Jefferson City statiosn

Mankato, MN can be part of this oddity

They are their own market....but its a short market (CBS & FOX only).

Cable gets most of Minneapolis stations in HD (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, MY) even though KEYC CBS is in HD. Fox is in 480i widescreen so they do give you KMSP from Minneapolis in HD with no blackouts (the SD channel ironically does)

Mankato, MN can be part of this oddity

They are their own market....but its a short market (CBS & FOX only).

Cable gets most of Minneapolis stations in HD (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, MY) even though KEYC CBS is in HD. Fox is in 480i widescreen so they do give you KMSP from Minneapolis in HD with no blackouts (the SD channel ironically does)

I thought Fox only allowed cable systems to carry one affiliate, even if another has significantly viewed status, KNPN forced WDAF off cable in St Joseph MO but WDAF can stick be picked up with a good antenna

I thought Fox only allowed cable systems to carry one affiliate, even if another has significantly viewed status, KNPN forced WDAF off cable in St Joseph MO but WDAF can stick be picked up with a good antenna
I think this is still true. Salisbury, NC has both the Charlotte, NC and Greensboro (High Point), NC Fox stations. One of the Salisbury radio station has the meteorologist from the High Point Fox station doing their weather, although the owner and morning DJ (who has sold the station but still runs it) used to run a radio station in High Point.

I seem to remember Comcast in Wyomissing, PA (across the Schuylkill River from Reading) carrying NBC, PBS and FOX in HD from the Harrisburg/Lancaster/York market. Berks County, PA is a portion of the Philadelphia/Wilmington market.

it may have to do with the local Fox not in HD but KMSP Fox Minneapolis is on 9 and KEYC-DT2 is on 19 in SD (I dont know what the HD channels are off the top of my head)

I present the following from Michigan that break this rule (in-market affiliate bolded):
Charter in Mt. Pleasant and Clare carries WFQX and WSMH (Clare is literally ON the market line)
Charter in Hart and Shelby carries WFQX and WXMI
Charter in Alpena carries WFQX and WBKB-DT2 (and both in HD!)
Charter in St. Johns carries WSYM (SD only) and WSMH (HD only)
Charter in Litchfield and Reading carries WXMI and WSYM (both in SD, but WXMI only in HD)
MIcom in western Michigan carries WFQX and WXMI (the system crosses market lines, but WXMI is in HD)

Back in the 1990s, WFQX (then-WGKI) was carried in the central and western Upper Peninsula alongside WLUK

One more Charter in Michigan example: Gogebic County, in which Ironwood is the county seat, is in the Duluth, MN-Superior, WI market, but the Charter system there carries CBS, Fox, and NBC in HD (and SD) from both the Duluth-Superior market as well the Marquette, MI market. For ABC, only the in-market Duluth-Superior station is carried.

An additional oddity about this is that Gogebic County is in the Central Time Zone (as are the Duluth-Superior stations), while Marquette is in the Eastern Time Zone.

To be picky, Zanesville, Ohio gets all the Columbus stations except WWHO (CW) in HD. Zanesville has its own NBC affiliate, WHIZ, and is considered its own DMA even all other network affiliates come from Columbus.
Adjacent counties within the Columbus DMA also get WHIZ HD on cable.

Charter in Mt. Pleasant and Clare carries WFQX and WSMH (Clare is literally ON the market line)

Clare is primarily in Clare County (Traverse City DMA). In HD, CBS, FOX and NBC come from Traverse City, while ABC comes from Flint. In SD, again there's CBS, FOX and NBC from Traverse City, but all of the Flint stations are carried, as well as ABC from Grand Rapids.

Charter in Litchfield and Reading carries WXMI and WSYM (both in SD, but WXMI only in HD)

All the Lansing stations are in SD only.

Last edited:
it may have to do with the local Fox not in HD but KMSP Fox Minneapolis is on 9 and KEYC-DT2 is on 19 in SD (I dont know what the HD channels are off the top of my head)

looking a little more I see KEYC does have a HD feed for Fox Mankato that is fibred (not OTA) so both cable companies in Mankato (Charter and Enventis formerly HickoryTech) carry BOTH CBS & FOX in HD from Minneapolis and Mankato.

One more Charter in Michigan example: Gogebic County, in which Ironwood is the county seat, is in the Duluth, MN-Superior, WI market, but the Charter system there carries CBS, Fox, and NBC in HD (and SD) from both the Duluth-Superior market as well the Marquette, MI market. For ABC, only the in-market Duluth-Superior station is carried.

An additional oddity about this is that Gogebic County is in the Central Time Zone (as are the Duluth-Superior stations), while Marquette is in the Eastern Time Zone.

A third oddity about this: Before WMQF (Marquette's original Fox affiliate) and KQDS launched, the Fox affiliates carried were WLUK from Green Bay and then-WGKI from Cadillac!

A third oddity about this: Before WMQF (Marquette's original Fox affiliate) and KQDS launched, the Fox affiliates carried were WLUK from Green Bay and then-WGKI from Cadillac!

There's one more oddity I just realized upon rereading my post. I said Ironwood was the county seat, but meant to say it's the biggest city in the county (and where the Charter system is based). Bessemer, nearly next door to Ironwood along US Highway 2, is actually the county seat. The Ironwood Charter system serves both cities, as well as Wakefield and, I think, Watersmeet.

Charter in Monroe, MI (Detroit market) carries WLMB (Toledo market) in HD and most other Toledos (ABC, CBS, NBC, one of two PBS) in SD.

Buckeye CableSystem in Bedford, MI (Detroit market, but right across the border from Toledo) carries ABC, CBS, CW, and one of two PBS (along with independent WLMB) from Toledo and ABC, CBC, FOX, ION, and NBC out of Detroit-Windsor in HD. SD adds the other PBS and MNT from Toledo and CW from Detroit.

Buckeye CableSystem in Sandusky, OH (Cleveland market) and Toledo, OH (Toledo market) carries CBC Windsor in HD.

Charter in Jackson, TN is in the Jackson market, but they carry WREG CBS 3 and WMC NBC 5 from Memphis in HD. Otherwise WBBJ ABC 7 and WJKT Fox 16 in Jackson are carried in HD. WBBJ also has their CBS/Me TV subchannel on 7.3, but it is in SD.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom