• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hunter Hancock ,LA TV dance show

alok

Frequent Participant
I read recently where LA DJ Hunter Hancock had an R&B music dance show on LA TV in the 50's,anybody know the station this was on,the day & time it was on ?

Al

In the fall of 1955, on Friday nights, I also had a television show on KCBS, Channel 2, called "Rhythm and Bluesville," that lasted seventeen weeks. My guests included Duke Ellington, Fats Domino, Little Richard, The Platters, Richard Berry, Gene & Eunice, and The Jaguars.

Al, since 2003 I have written the daily Rewind features for LARadio.com. Today, August 4, is the anniversary of Hunter Hancock's death. Here is the column I wrote for today. It answers your question. Yes, the question that Bob already answered. So sue me!

LARadio Rewind: August 4, 2004. Hunter Hancock, the first white disc jockey in the western United States to play r&b, dies at 88 in a Claremont retiremont home. Born in Uvalde, Texas, Hancock worked at KMAC in San Antonio and KPAB in Laredo before coming to Los Angeles. He joined KFVD in 1947 as an announcer and host of Harlem Holiday, a Sunday jazz show which slowly evolved into an all-r&b program. In 1951 he moved to KFOX, then returned to KFVD (later KPOP) in 1954. He also hosted a KGER gospel program, Songs Of Soul & Spirit, and a short-lived Friday-night program on KNXT-Channel 2, Rhythm 'n' Bluesville. In 1959 he co-founded Swingin' Records, which had a top-5 r&b hit with Big Jay McNeely's There Is Something On Your Mind. In 1957 Hancock moved to KGFJ and began hosting a nightly top-20 countdown show, Huntin' With Hunter. For many years he was the most popular Los Angeles disc jockey among black listeners. In the '60s, Hancock was working 9 am to noon and growing increasingly frustrated over being told what to play. He quit radio in 1968 and went to work for Western Outdoor News. Hunter Hancock hosted his own memorial service at Claremont United Methodist Church. A recording of "Ol' H.H." led guests in the singing of hymns and the recitation of the 23rd Psalm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom