• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why is it that the Orlando radio stations cannot play anything which isn't mainstream

U

Unregistered

I really honestly have had enough of this city's radio stations. We have like 4-5 radio stations that will play "Dark Horses" by Katy Perry but this market just cannot seem to play anything new which the other stations aren't playing. What I'm talking about, and this is really aimed at WJRR, is that why cannot this city play a station like KROQ in LA, 97X in Tampa or Live 105 in SF? They play the same Bastille song over and over while Tampa is at least playing "Bad Blood" and not "Pompeii". I just wish ORock would come back and not just HD & play some new rock instead of all the same old stuff over and over. I just cannot listen to WJRR anymore because it's not my style & I just don't like classic rock which they play. I know I'm just venting but wish some station could play some ground-breaking new to the area stuff and not the same songs as the others or dwell in the past with old stuff. Sorry, Orlando secular radio is just horrible.

Have you listened to 91.5FM WPRK yet?

This post seems almost crafted to coincide with the new station Cox launched at 107.3 earlier. Hmm.

Byron

This post seems almost crafted to coincide with the new station Cox launched at 107.3 earlier. Hmm.

Byron

The five registered users and four lurkers are a very important demo.

Austin Texas Thinks Pop Country Mexican And AAA Are The Only Format So DOnt Feel To Bad Plus Austin Has 12 Translator Playing The Same Stuff

The Problem With Radio Across The USA Is Know1 Is Trying Cool ForMats Such As Smooth Jazz Dance Soft Adult Contemporary And Classic Country Thats Why Radio Has Been So Bad

Austin Texas Thinks Pop Country Mexican And AAA Are The Only Format So DOnt Feel To Bad Plus Austin Has 12 Translator Playing The Same Stuff

"Mexican" is not a format... it is a nationality. Among the Spanish language station in Austin we have pop, several flavors of Regional Mexican, oldies / classic hits and some different religious options.

Just as in Orlando, the various Spanish language stations have different formats or considerably different variants of similar formats.

The Problem With Radio Across The USA Is Know1 Is Trying Cool ForMats Such As Smooth Jazz Dance Soft Adult Contemporary And Classic Country Thats Why Radio Has Been So Bad

You just named four formats that are either for hard-to-monetize 55+ listeners (Jazz, SAC and SJ) or unable to get salable ratings (dance),

Having just visited Orlando, I can tell you the market is rich with unique and great radio stations. Compared to the radio desert of Houston, where every other station is country or Spanish language, Orlando radio is great! I can put the dial on something like 101.9 or 98.9, or just about anywhere and just leave it because they are playing great music. Add to that the Tampa Bay stations that make it to Orlando just fine, Melbourne, and other places, and I would be hard pressed NOT to find a song worth listening to. Every time I visit Orlando, I long to move back. Unfortunately Florida has a bad tax law and I can't.

And not just any ratings are desirable to advertisers. A station can have high ratings and still lose ad revenue because the ratings represent an out of target demographic. Most local retail and national agencies want 25 - 54 adults with a heavy lean toward the female demo. If a station isn't attracting this demo, then changes are made to target the desired target demo. There is very little money available to stations attracting an over 55 demographic.

Last edited:
Radio? What's that? Its long overdue to realize radio is "circling the drain". First off, programing music nobody ever heard of is, and always has been a loser! We are on the front lines of watching a valuable resource die. What has happened is technology has finally given stupid owners/management everything they wanted to have a station on the cheap and to flush down the toilet the factor of localism. These idiots are constantly blaming the listeners when in reality these bozo's have been hellbent on NOT providing what listeners wanted and driving those listeners away toward other means to get what they want. They can prance around all they want throwing out cute catch phrases such as "branding" when the bottom line is they, themselves have killed off radio and have raised the middle finger to all of their listeners. Their goal has always been to replace localized programming by satelite feeds and automation. For years stupid ownership has HATED talent and especially engineering because in the minds of these morons the only people who were needed were themselves.

Radio? What's that? Its long overdue to realize radio is "circling the drain". First off, programing music nobody ever heard of is, and always has been a loser! We are on the front lines of watching a valuable resource die. What has happened is technology has finally given stupid owners/management everything they wanted to have a station on the cheap and to flush down the toilet the factor of localism. These idiots are constantly blaming the listeners when in reality these bozo's have been hellbent on NOT providing what listeners wanted and driving those listeners away toward other means to get what they want. They can prance around all they want throwing out cute catch phrases such as "branding" when the bottom line is they, themselves have killed off radio and have raised the middle finger to all of their listeners. Their goal has always been to replace localized programming by satelite feeds and automation. For years stupid ownership has HATED talent and especially engineering because in the minds of these morons the only people who were needed were themselves.

Sound like a disgruntled ex-jock. Yep - those stupid owners spend millions acquiring and running stations for the sole purpose of "not providing what listeners wanted and driving those listeners away". Do you even read what you are writing before you post it?

EXACTLY! And in addition to paying a small fortune for some of these properties the wise owners are also spending money to research what is or isn't being offered in said radio market and then either you Fill a Void that has existed or you end up in a head to head situation with another owner-in which case you have to do them one better and you have a situation such as 101.9 and 106.7. DOGDOG Suggesting Branding isn't Important? Tell that to COX & CBS. You're certainly not going to have any listener recognition if you are going to just toss the call letters out 4 times an hour..."Sunny","XL',"AMP" or "The Wolf" etc builds listener recognition and you build loyalty by coming up with a Game Plan and then Maintain some sort of Consistancy so folks get what they expect when they tune into the BRAND. I've yet to see any HUGE Success from a Station with No Brand and a 10,000 song Playlist.

exactly! And in addition to paying a small fortune for some of these properties the wise owners are also spending money to research what is or isn't being offered in said radio market and then either you fill a void that has existed or you end up in a head to head situation with another owner-in which case you have to do them one better and you have a situation such as 101.9 and 106.7. Dogdog suggesting branding isn't important? Tell that to cox & cbs. You're certainly not going to have any listener recognition if you are going to just toss the call letters out 4 times an hour..."sunny","xl',"amp" or "the wolf" etc builds listener recognition and you build loyalty by coming up with a game plan and then maintain some sort of consistancy so folks get what they expect when they tune into the brand. I've yet to see any huge success from a station with no brand and a 10,000 song playlist.

Exactly!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom