• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Webstreams on HD subchannels

I just got an interesting phone call. It was from a web-only radio station who wanted to know if we would be interested in leasing our HD-2 or HD-3 channel. Not to gain listeners, but to get around paying royalties. Since broadcasters pay less per listener than web-only stations they see this as a method of saving money. I seem to remember that one of the big webcasters bought a station in South Dakota for this same reason. I haven't received anything in writing yet, but based on what he's offering we could get about a 27-year payback on our HD transmitter investment.

Dave B.

This might be a new source of revenue for HD stations in the middle of nowhere. Have up to 8 HD subchannels each with a different web stream. Who cares about the audio quality, no one's listening!

Birmingham has a popular web station that's airing on both an HD subchannel as well as a translator, but that's less a case of a streamer trying to save money than a radio company being too cheap to put on their own format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom