• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Michigan FMs in Wisconsin

I live on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan and I often can receive signals from Wisconsin. I am wondering if the same thing happens on the Wisconsin side (Michigan FMs making it to WI).
Here are some possibilities:
88.7 WIAA
89.7 WLMN
89.9 WLJN
90.3 WBLV
91.1 WOLW
92.9 WJZQ
94.1 WWKR
94.9 WKZC
95.5 WQEZ
97.7 WMLQ
98.1 WGFN
98.9 WKLZ
100.1 WCUZ
101.9 WLDR
103.5 WTCM
105.9 WKHQ
106.3 WKLA

In my personal experience, it is possible to pick up michigan stations in WI. I live in Sheboygan, Wi and on high tropo days we can easily pick up 102.7 wmom, and sometimes wsnx completely goes over our local station on 104.5. Ive had much more luck picking up chicago stations recently though. In summer on a car radio wpwx is sometimes more clear than some Milwaukee stations 55 miles away! Sometimes 100.7 in the u.p. covers up wkkv here also.

106.9 in Muskegon pretty much slaughters WNRG's signal in the Sheboygan area during the summer; it still amazes me how the FCC approved putting a signal there in Milwaukee that doesn't get far past Port Washington and Racine. And WSNX (along with WBFM and WHBZ) is pretty much why WXER on 104.5 had to get the 96.1 translator, which gets more range than most translators I know.

I also agree about 106.9 having bad reception in the sheboygan area, but on a good car radio at times it still can be listenable, even in summer. And the 96.1 translator really does get out there! Can be heard as far as maintowoc. Honestly surprised they let them on 96.1 because of wksz on 95.9. Makes that station unlistanable until about cleveland to the north. Before they put up the translator it had a pretty descent signal in the area. Would it be possible for one of the milwaukee stations to get translators this far north? I gotta say they Sheboygan stations suck, and most people listen to Milwaukee around here, in my experience anyway.

106.9 in Muskegon pretty much slaughters WNRG's signal in the Sheboygan area during the summer; it still amazes me how the FCC approved putting a signal there in Milwaukee that doesn't get far past Port Washington and Racine. And WSNX (along with WBFM and WHBZ) is pretty much why WXER on 104.5 had to get the 96.1 translator, which gets more range than most translators I know.

WNRG has a null toward Illinois, since it must protect 1st adjacent WPPN Des Plaines, IL on 106.7, a 50kw station. That's why it doesn't make it past Racine. With 106.9 being a Class A station, transmitting out of Milwaukee will explain why it doesn't always make it past Port Washington. Saga wanted to cover more of Milwaukee County with a Grade A signal, & serve Milwaukee, rather than Brookfield, or Waukesha County for that matter. Otherwise, they would still be transmitting from I believe Menomonee Falls, for where I last remember their signal broadcasting from (definitely came out of Waukesha County the last time I was in Milwaukee, which was 2006).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom