• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

God, why won't ESPN fire Freddie Coleman?

Banacek

New Participating Member
He basically spent all of his 4/30/2014 show talking about John Calipari going to the LA Lakers, and persisted on making it the main talking point of his show even after two different Lakers beat writers told him, on-air, that it would not happen at all.

The man is just so...vapid, I think, would be the right term. Every show he works on is heavily scripted and planned out, and it's always a disaster if there is a breaking news story while he's on the air because he doesn't know how to handle it.

That's why Coleman never gets a shot to guest host "Mike & Mike," because he can't handle having Joaquin and the other producers coming at him in his headphones with new soundbites or a change in the interview schedule due to a guest being delayed.

Just once I wanna see Coleman end up hosting a "open phone" show, b/c it would be a complete disaster.

nice to see a new thread on the revived radio discussions sports board.

i mainly agree with your point re: coleman's inability to improvise.

his athlete interviews are awful. last night during the calipari non-story, he had an espnla reporter on who went a little off script with a movie or music reference. it was hilariously awkward. coleman and other espn talent are so scarred to miss a live read, run over a break or say something off script that it makes for unintentionally funny radio. nothing beats erik kuselias v. jay mohr during the detroit super bowl week (i think).

however, i've softened on coleman a bit over the years. he's decent in short blasts and probably belongs back on weekends, local only or for fill-in roles. he's better with a co-host or someone to work off his straightness.

I'm not up on sports enough to critique Freddie Coleman on things mentioned here. I've listened to him, but if I tune to sports radio at night I tend to tune in to Ben Maller.

But I think Freddy Coleman's got a great radio voice.

Freddie is quick-witted, compelling and has a great sense of humor. He also doesn't present himself as an arrogant know-it-all as many national sports talk show hosts do. Off-air, he's a great guy who would do anything for a friend. That's my kind of show host. If you don't like him, so be it. Fortunately, you're not in charge at ESPN Radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom