• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSSX Tries A Different Approach to Rhythmic AC

Gregg.

Star Participant
Kiss FM Tries Different Rhythmic Approach

For a short time, San Diego had THREE Rhythmic AC stations playing similar music: Magic 92.5 XHRM, which has been running this format for years; KIFM, which segued from Smooth Jazz; and newcomer Kiss-FM, which switched from a simulcast with Talk Radio KOGO at the end of 2012. KIFM switched to Soft AC, much softer than KYXY. And KSSX has switched to a more recent, harder-edged Rhythmic AC format, using the slogan "Today's Rhythm and All The Best Throwbacks."

Magic has stayed pretty much the same, concentrating on 70s/80s/90s songs that scored on both the Top 40 and Rhythmic charts. But Kiss is now mostly post-2000, with much of its playlist not necessarily crossing over to the Top 40.

Here's what Magic 92.5 played between 5:30 & 6:30pm Wed. evening. I think only Blurred Lines is from this century.

Big Mountain--Baby, I Love Your Way
The Tramps--Disco Inferno
War--Low Rider
Marvin Gaye--Sexual Healing
The Gap Bound--Outstanding
Robin Thicke--Blurred Lines
Prince--Raspberry Beret
Jon B.--Somone to Love
Michael Jackson--Rock with You
Lipps, Inc.--Funkytown

Meanwhile, Kiss-FM might also be called "Rhythmic AC" but they share few titles with Magic. Here's what Kiss played...

T.I.--Whatever You Like
Usher/will.i.am--OMG
Jennifer Lopez/LL Cool J--All I Have
Bruno Mars--Treasure
R. Kelly--Bump and Grind
Jay Z/Justin Timberlake--Holy Grail
M.I.A.--Paper Planes
Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg--Still Dre
Cee Lo Green--Forget You
Busta Rhymes/Mariah Carey--I Know What You Want
Prince--When Doves Cry
Puff Daddy/Mase--Can't Nobody Hold Me Down

In this case, When Doves Cry is the only pre-2000 title. Quite a departure from what KSSX sounded like a few months ago, before they went All-Christmas during the holidays.

In a separate thread, David Eduardo tells us KSSX and KIFM are tied at around #15 in the 25-54 demo, not so great. But I'm not sure if that's the latest ratings because both KSSX and KIFM have been increasing nicely over the last couple of months in the 6+ ratings. And with Kiss-FM's move to a mostly post-2000, harder-edged playlist, I'd suppose KSSX should also be moving up in the 18-49 and 18-34 demos. We'll see if this format adjustment pays off.

In a separate thread, David Eduardo tells us KSSX and KIFM are tied at around #15 in the 25-54 demo, not so great. But I'm not sure if that's the latest ratings because both KSSX and KIFM have been increasing nicely over the last couple of months in the 6+ ratings.

That's the March book, released last week.

While KIFM has increased dramatically in 12+, most of the gains are in listeners over 55.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom