• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Downtown Dave passes away

Dave Wagenvoord

Attention Tampa Bay, you can now have your own spot in heaven for less than the cost of several AM stations.

Sorry, too soon.

Dave Wagenvoord passed away today. He was a true successful broadcaster in an era where independent radio stations are almost non existent. Truly a innovative guy who did what many others could not do. He made money with his stations. He was fun to talk to and he was very smart. He has a very loyal and very professional staff that I am sure will miss him.

Now the question is, what will his wife do? I really hope the station stays a local English speaking station with all of the cool local flavor.

I first heard a version of the aforementioned commercial around 15 years ago, I never imagined that I would get to know the man many years later. I only knew him for the last 3 or 4 years of his life, but I can truly say that I learned more about broadcasting from him, than I have from any other single individual. The first year I was around him I was so intimidated by his experience and intellect, that I was afraid to look at him, let alone talk to him. And that's a shame, I cried more today than I think I ever have. The thing that is so tragic is that even though he was no spring chicken (82), his mind was as sharp as an 18 year old and he easily could have lasted another 20 years if the cancer wouldn't have gotten him. I will always regret not getting to know him better sooner, in the last couple of years he was very kind to me, and he'll never know how much it meant to me. I'll miss him.

http://cedricharris.com/radio/downtowndave.mp3

Last edited:
dave wangenvoord

I have known Dave for almost 30 years and my heart is broken right about now!

I am deeply saddened to hear of Dave Wagenvoords passing. When I had my mid-life crisis many years ago and decided I wanted to get back into radio I walked into WTAN to see about doing a show just to see if I still had it in me, and if I would really enjoy doing it. There was Lola sitting at her desk and Dave napping on the couch surrounded by the dogs. You really had to know Dave and sit in his office listening to his vast experience in broadcasting. Many people here only know "Downtown Dave of the Tan Talk Radio Network". Dave had bought and sold radio stations all across America including my former home of Honolulu which opened the door to "do you know so and so, and how about good old whats his name". And a friendship was born. My deepest condolences to Lola. Aloha Dave.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom