• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Another Talk Show Added to "All-News 106.7"

Cumulus' All-News 106.7 WYAY is adding another talk show to its midday schedule, Michael Graham from Boston. And he's starting at 9am no less, when most All-News stations are still in morning drive mode. (Not everyone gets to their desk by 9.) That will give WYAY back-to-back Talk shows, with The Kimmer (Kim Peterson) hosting Noon - 3pm. I don't think this is smart.

Graham is VERY opinionated and conservative. Not the type of news magazine you'd expect on an otherwise All-News radio station. You'd think they'd simply get a local host who can generate some listener calls on the Atlanta stories of the day, and integrate traffic, weather and news updates. Some years ago, All-News KCBS San Francisco did a midday magazine show with listener calls. It was about how to choose the right doctor or how a new recycling plan will work. But I doubt that's what Graham and Cumulus have in mind.

Yes, WYAY is mired at a one-point-something, #19 in the latest Atlanta results. But no one said competing with WSB was going to be fast or easy. I don't understand why Atlanta listeners want their News station to also be their Conservative Talk station, that you have to wade through Limbaugh, Hannity, Herman Cain, Andy Dean, etc., telling us how bad Obama and the Democrats are, to get your news. I like Clark Howard who does a show about family finances, not politics. But again, when he's on WSB, you're not getting All-News. You're not getting frequent traffic, sports, business and weather updates.

Yet WYAY is not really growing. I've asked this question before but why is there no successful All-News station in the Sunbelt, except for KNX Los Angeles? KRLD Dallas, KROI Houston and WYAY struggle, and there's no All-News in Miami, Phoenix, Tampa or San Diego. All the successful All-News stations are in North, from New York to Washington to Chicago to San Francisco. I guess I'm a person who wants his news straight, not filtered by a conservative commentator. But apparently in Atlanta, there aren't enough people like me.

So if you want All-News in Atlanta, you can get it at 10pm or 4am. But not weekdays between 9am and 3pm. And not on weekend mornings when infomercials are running. I don't think this is a good way to run an All-News radio station. The website is still www.AllNews1067.com but who knows for how long?

They will probably take a page from Clear Channel and rebrand as Newsradio 1067. I have noticed that quite a few CC stations have rebranded as Newsradio even though they carry mostly syndicated conservative talk shows.

Maybe this will give WSB the incentive to get rid of Herman Cain at 9am and bring Atlanta a REAL talk show that is worth listening to, instead of the rants and raves that we now get on WSB at 9am. I agree that WYAY does not know what to do with its wonderful frequency. The news that is currently on between 9 and Noon on AN 106 is really good. John Lisk and Cheryl Castro are very professional, and give the listeners a very viable alternative to the nonsense on WSB. Once again,
HERMAN'S GOTTA GO.

So very sorry to hear this. First my lunch news review is stomped on by a sophomoric geezer who thinks he is cute and entertaining but is really a dirty old man; now a Glenn Beck "wannabee." Why have they destroyed the one innovative change in this market? If this is the way they are going to do us, then I say bring back the Oldies!

And BTW, since I understand 98.9 is dumping TOC, it should be available here now. Somebody please snap it up?

I agree about the Kimmer being sophomoric. I hate that juvenile type of comedy. Pete Davis is the only reason to listen to that show, and even then unless he is filling in and does the show himself, he reverts to the stupid. I like the all news format, but it does get repetitive at times. I think that there should maybe be blocks where maybe an hour is devoted to business only news, an hour devoted to sports only news, etc. Maybe some type of call in, but keep it specific to the news topic.

TOC is being replaced with a similar type oldies format. I don't think that Atlanta can handle more than one Oldies station at a time

I guess I'm a person who wants his news straight, not filtered by a conservative commentator. But apparently in Atlanta, there aren't enough people like me.

So if you want All-News in Atlanta, you can get it at 10pm or 4am. But not weekdays between 9am and 3pm. And not on weekend mornings when infomercials are running. I don't think this is a good way to run an All-News radio station. The website is still www.AllNews1067.com but who knows for how long?

I want my news straight any day of the week, especially on weekends. I'm 26 years old. I'm way younger than the target demographic of 50+. And yet I like the format. I, like many others, don't want to be reminded every single day that the world is coming to an end. Yes, it's coming to an end, but not anytime soon. I like both All News and News/Talk. I just can't listen every single day to both. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose to listen to All News over News/Talk any day. Just take out PBP of the Braves and GA Tech Yellow Jackets and I'm good. Just commit to covering severe weather fully when there is severe weather in the area and I'm good. Unfortunately, AN106.7 is going against my advice, and they're intentionally running the station into the ground. They know that they're not doing a good enough job. What next? They're committing a long radio station suicide. Not cool. If they can prove us wrong by saying they're truly willing to make the station work, then they need to prove it. That is all.

I admit I like the idea of being able to tune in for a quick bunch of news whenever the mood strikes me. However, it doesn't strike me all that often, and when it does, I can usually access the internet on my smart phone any time I want. Since almost everyone can do that, I can understand why a station might want to put something on the air that people might want to listen for longer than it takes to get through all the breaking stories and then start over again. That means news/talk, or pontificating pundits expounding about what's in the news. And though I can understand that some folks don't like the conservative view on what's happening in the news, the conservatives outnumber the other categories enough that they represent the best ratings potential. I get the impression that people who hold the liberal perspective on things in the news would rather listen to music. I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate, but the ratings performance of liberal news/talk hosts overall compared to conservative news/talk hosts overall are consistent with that assumption.

Anything But Cain..

Maybe this will be the beginning of the end to Herman Caine...

TOC is being replaced with a similar type oldies format. I don't think that Atlanta can handle more than one Oldies station at a time

All the more reason AN1067 needs to repent or 98.9 needs not to change.

Another example of how radio people can stretch the truth beyond recognition. I worked for a station that called itself all news but it was talk outside drive-time. But the PD claimed those talk shows talked about things in the news, so it was all news.

The only all news stations in the US are 1010 WINS in New York and KYW 1060 in Philly.

KNX Los Angeles and KCBS San Francisco might dispute the assertion that "The only all news stations in the US are 1010 WINS in New York and KYW 1060 in Philly." Granted that KNX has a two hour weekend "food news" program and KCBS has various news features, they are still news.

Last edited:
KNX Los Angeles and KCBS San Francisco might dispute the assertion that "The only all news stations in the US are 1010 WINS in New York and KYW 1060 in Philly." Granted that KNX has a two hour weekend "food news" program and KCBS has various news features, they are still news.

But as you point out: Not ALL news. At least they come closer than they used to. KNX used to do a food news show every day and run old time radio shows each evening. CBS stations have never been truly all news, as Group W stations were.

Another example of how radio people can stretch the truth beyond recognition. I worked for a station that called itself all news but it was talk outside drive-time. But the PD claimed those talk shows talked about things in the news, so it was all news.

The only all news stations in the US are 1010 WINS in New York and KYW 1060 in Philly.

WBBM in Chicago might dispute that as well.

WBBM carries the Bears, so they are not truly all news. WCBS also runs sporadic basketball and football play by play and I think WBBM,WCBS,KNX and KCBS run the audio of 60 minutes, so in the purest sense of the word WINS and KYW are the only all news stations. Does KYW or WPHT run 60 minutes? Up in Canada, CFTR,CFFR and CKWX are all news stations, as well running the format 24/7.

WBBM carries the Bears, so they are not truly all news. WCBS also runs sporadic basketball and football play by play and I think WBBM,WCBS,KNX and KCBS run the audio of 60 minutes, so in the purest sense of the word WINS and KYW are the only all news stations. Does KYW or WPHT run 60 minutes? Up in Canada, CFTR,CFFR and CKWX are all news stations, as well running the format 24/7.

If you are going to exclude WBBM for the less than 25 preseason, regular, and play off games (Which is really big news to a lot of folks in Chicago) then there might not be any station in America that fits you definition of "all news". The FCC requires all commercial stations to some kind of local "public affairs" programming. These "shows" (often boring) are usually air Saturday or Sunday in the wee hours of the morning, and are usually taped days if not weeks in advance which is not "news".

BTW: These shows should be documented in the public files in station's lobby or the local public library. Any on the air employee or station management should know where this file is and EAS procedures in case the FCC visits.

IMHO one of the best ways around this was either WCLF or WLS back when both were top 40* at the end of the newscast they would have a 15 second taped announcement (food bank, homeless shelter, blood drives, etc.) inserted into a really cool audio doughnut that had the instrumental version of their jingle with the really big voice announcer tagging it: "(WLS or WCFL) getting it said for Chicago.

*late 1960's or early 1970's

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom