• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Record Store Day, This Saturday:

S

Scooter Lesley

In addtion of owning a retail store for six years, I have enjoyed the hobby of Record Collecting, since age ten. I am concidered a "Vinyl Mizzer"! When most sold their vinyl in the late eighties, to turn the cash into CD purchases,...I didn't!

Years ago, I, myself, along with several others in Radio & TV, predicted the resurgence of vinyl. It was rather easy, as it only slowed here, and not in the rest of the world.
American Record Companies Rammed the CD down our throats, whether we wanted it or not.

This Saturday, April, 19th, marks the 7th Annual (National) Record Store Day, with many limited vinyl releases on that day only. Not nessesarily chains, but mostly independently owned stores. Some have become landmarks.

For more: Go to the Website.

He who dies, with the most records....Wins!

Well,...for once your "A"-ness you're right...or kinda/sorta half right. There maybe only one vinyl pressing plant here, but much like some other goods, the Best is made overseas. As an American, it pains me to say such, but there be the truth!

Today's vinyl is an upgrade: Pure, thick, 180gram virgin vinyl, that sounds even better than much of it's predicessors. You drop one of these on your foot, and toes will part.

Over here, we pushed vinyl away, as the Record Companies sold us an allegedly better product. The rest of the world carried on, an wondered at us. Kind/sorta like us willingly electing our current Prez.

When I assume room temperature, my daughters will have a rather popular yard sale,...all for maybe $1 a piece.......I'll be spinning in my grave like a rotiserie chicken!
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!

Over here, we pushed vinyl away, as the Record Companies sold us an allegedly better product. The rest of the world carried on, an wondered at us.

The Japanese always had better vinyl than that pressed in the US; when I did Beautiful Music syndication I got a lot of my pressings from Japan, despite the high cost.

But "the rest of the world" did not carry on. Vinyl production in Latin America died simultaneously with the US, and even more totally. I've been in record stores in the larger countries and there is no vinyl of any kind available... you have to go to swap meets or online to find any vintage material.

Similar things happened in much of Africa, leaving only some European nations and a few in Asia with any vinyl output as we moved into the 90's.

For those keeping score at home, Sheeeesh!...I wish I could give these guys a little credit, but between the truth, and the way that they seems to always paint themselves into a corner, I have to tell like it is:

Reply to Mr. Ed,....Canada, the Far East, and all of Europe held on to their vinyl, and just bought CD as just another format. In fact, the largest vinyl show in the world is in the Netherlands. I know collectors that fly-over every year. I am a proud American, but over the last 30-years, this country has Oafed on alotta things, not just the white house.

For those keeping score at home, Sheeeesh!...I wish I could give these guys a little credit, but between the truth, and the way that they seems to always paint themselves into a corner, I have to tell like it is:

Reply to Mr. Ed,....Canada, the Far East, and all of Europe held on to their vinyl, and just bought CD as just another format. In fact, the largest vinyl show in the world is in the Netherlands. I know collectors that fly-over every year.

I specifically excluded Europe and "a few nations in Asia" as my exceptions.

Even then, many of the Eastern European nations dropped vinyl... and some, like Spain and Italy, dropped it for all but classical and esoteric titles.

Now for TheBigA, his royal "A"-ness: There is a link included in his reply #5. In suppling such, it was a failed attempt to discredit those seriously into the hobby of Record Collecting. Representing those pictured as Nerdy, Dorky....a social Geek. Well, judge as you may. I've seen several of them at the Austin show; the largest U.S. show. Most are retired, have lots of money, and actively sell Records for Big money, even though they have plenty. About 18-years ago, collector, Neal Smith, paid $3,600 for one Beatles 45. At that time, there were only three copies known to exist. Most thought him insane, until earlier last year, when he intrusted it to Heritage Auctions, and they sold it for him; netting 11 bids, before selling for over $35-thousand dollars. Case Closed.

Now for TheBigA, his royal "A"-ness: There is a link included in his reply #5. In suppling such, it was a failed attempt to discredit those seriously into the hobby of Record Collecting. Representing those pictured as Nerdy, Dorky....a social Geek.

I did not get that impression. What I did see was that there is a small niche... very small... of old vinyl collectors and enthusiasts.

I'd think that the current EDM mixers and fans would be a considerably larger group.

My Last Post For This Topic:

If you'd like to gaze back, at the last post, by Mr. Ed, you can clearly see that....
he does not get it. No worry there, as all collectors, and most lovers of "Serve It Up" pre-recorded music do.

The Vinyl LP, and the new 180gram Vinyl LP's are the best "Living(Listening) Room" format, and as always, I suggest investing in a good system, with headphones.
"Darkside Of The Moon" is a Gem,....now with more "Sparkle"!

My last point is that of a vinyl experiment by Capitol Records, a few Record Store Days back. They released a 10" inch piece, on 180gram virgin vinyl...pure, high-grade stuff! It was "Good Vibrations",.....spinning at 78rpms! I saw the piece, but snoozed on buying it because I had no way of playing it. Since then, the price has went through the stratusphere.

I can only imagine the fedelity. When they played it for Brian Wilson, he only said:

"I've Just Heard It Again,...For The First Time.".

Scooter Lesley,
Now, Gluten Free, and still Lezbian Friendly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom