• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dierdorf to Succeed Beckmann as UM Play by Play Man

And maybe a meteor will strike during the first home game of the season, god willing.

Fred... You don't like this choice? The interesting part is Brandy doing "play by play". He sent the one aircheck of him doing this to IMG and they bought it.

Fred... You don't like this choice? The interesting part is Brandy doing "play by play". He sent the one aircheck of him doing this to IMG and they bought it.

I have no opinion on this choice. I didn't like the last choice. But most of all, I hate the U of M.

Jry, I think IMG gave Brandy the job because he had been on the broadcast for years, they had Dierdorf in mind, and Dierdorf would want to do the color, not the play by play. Dierdorf, as a former player, will excite the fan base and Brandy provides continuity. While I hear a lot of complaints about this choice (in other places), I'm not reading many offering alternatives, save for Mark Champion. Champion would've been an acceptable choice, but if you can get a former alum who made a great name for himself in the NFL and as a NFL broadcaster, I think you take him. This will only be for a few years. Dierdorf isn't a young guy.

I'd say that Dan is a short term solution, UMFAN. Look for both of them to be retired in a year or two. Think of Dierdorf as a "bridge" to keep things interesting until Brandy retires. I cannot imagine his wife wanting him to do this for much longer.
On Mark Champion. Great guy. Have had the pleasure to work with him on a couple of things. You wouldn't go wrong having him in the booth.
So, then, here is the big question. Who are the U of M Alum and football greats with broadcast chops? What two guys would be ready to take the mic in a couple of years?
Brandon, with his ego, could add this to his job description. For some reason, i really thought that they would consider him for Mary Sue Colemans job.

That's my take on it, that this team is a bridge. No idea who might follow. Maybe get Anthony Carter started on some broadcast school? (No, I'm not kidding). John Wangler has some broadcast experience, does he not?

I'm not sure Brandon would have taken the President's job. I think he likes being AD. It certainly isn't about money since he's shown he could be making a great deal more in the private sector.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom