• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Whyl

What's going on with this station? It was off-air for awhile, now the other day it seems to be back on, just playing automated soft AC.

WHYL has been off the air most of the past week. I was in the area and I didn't anything the yesterday and today. It's a shame WHYL was a good sounding station for years with a nice mix of oldies and standards. That signal really got out there.

It's a shame. The owner was a true professional who wanted to do quality family friendly programming for Central Pa. Hard to do as a stand alone AM. Was always a great sounding station under his watch.

I've heard the towers of WHYL have been torn down. Anyone have any more info?

I think this will happen to more AM stations soon. ( off the air--- out of business)

When traveling down I-81 this week, I noticed that both towers were taken down.

Maybe the owners of WIOO might want to make an offer on the station.

I read today the owners of WIOO are trying to buy the license for WHYL. I know at one point they were trying to move WIOO to 1010 and then they also added the FM translators as well as WEEO. The 960 frequency seemed to travel farther & be less cluttered - I wonder if they'd swap frequencies & then put something else on 1000?

I believe they are gonna diplex it on WIOO's tower on the Holly Pike. If so it will be non directional with lower power. Maybe 1kw....or maybe even lower.

I believe they are gonna diplex it on WIOO's tower on the Holly Pike. If so it will be non directional with lower power. Maybe 1kw....or maybe even lower.

That would be a shame, losing one of the best daytime AM signals in the region. Perhaps the lease on the present tower site was ended by the sale of the station.

I read today the owners of WIOO are trying to buy the license for WHYL. I know at one point they were trying to move WIOO to 1010 and then they also added the FM translators as well as WEEO. The 960 frequency seemed to travel farther & be less cluttered - I wonder if they'd swap frequencies & then put something else on 1000?

I was hoping the powers-that-be at WIOO would consider a purchase of WHYL. The thing is would they move the country format over to 960 and put, say, standards or something similar on 1000 or keep with the previous and current formats?

When I drove past the WHYL site Tuesday I noticed that the towers were down. With this turn of events it becomes a bit more complex, because diplexing on the WIOO tower is probably not possible since they are only 40khz apart in frequency. I guess they could string up a wire somewhere and do the STA thing to save the license or find an existing tower that you could lay down ground radials and fit whatever power non directional. It looks to me like about a kilowatt is possible non directional. Even retaining the old site and erecting two towers is going to be a fairly expensive proposition for a class D AM.

Why bother ? small, local AM radio is on the way to the graveyard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom