• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dan Lewis to Retire from KOMO

Say "we can't wait to see you on Q13 with the rest of your ex-KOMO kolleagues Tribune has hired."

Western Washington will miss Dan Lewis! He's a great anchor with great chemistry.

-crainbebo

Dan Lewis has become a NW icon. Just look at his twitter or facebook. Literally thousand upon thousands of good wishes.

He says he is going to step away, but I wonder for how long. He still has some good years left, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up on KCPQ, or even KIRO, where an upgrade is needed IMO. I would guess he has a non-compete, hence playing golf for several months!

Dan Lewis has become a NW icon. Just look at his twitter or facebook. Literally thousand upon thousands of good wishes.

He says he is going to step away, but I wonder for how long. He still has some good years left, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up on KCPQ, or even KIRO, where an upgrade is needed IMO. I would guess he has a non-compete, hence playing golf for several months!

Someone asked him on Twitter if he was being forced out or let go and he emphatically replied that he was leaving on his own and they tried to get him to stay. He's 64 years old, has had a long career, and most importantly, has stayed at the anchor desk to transition KOMO first through the death of Kathi Goertzen and most recently through Mary Nam's maternity leave.

I think its been obvious that KOMO has been worried about his exit for some time. First they moved Eric Johnson to news (first as a hybrid news/sports guy, more recently as news only) to be his heir apparent. They also added Molly Shen to the evening newscasts (teamed with Johnson) seemingly to get the viewers familiar with an alternate anchor pairing (I'm sure they were doing focus groups, too). Finally, they've maintained a two-anchor weekend evening team when the other two stations dropped to a solo anchor newscast (including some very good anchors in Casey Norton, John Discepolo, and now Russ Bowen). KOMO has been prepping for his departure for more than a few years... I would speculate he's been hinting at retirement for a while.

I'm sure Dan thinks about Kathi every day. Kathi Goertzen and Dan Lewis were probably one of the best anchor teamups in Seattle history. They had great chemistry, enjoyed themselves and had fun even when working. God bless her.
So this means Shen/Johnson at 5, 6 and 11? Or Nam and Johnson?

-crainbebo

I'm sure Dan thinks about Kathi every day. Kathi Goertzen and Dan Lewis were probably one of the best anchor teamups in Seattle history. They had great chemistry, enjoyed themselves and had fun even when working. God bless her.
So this means Shen/Johnson at 5, 6 and 11? Or Nam and Johnson?

-crainbebo

Molly & Eric will continue to co-anchor at 5pm (Molly will continue her 11 am duties as well), and Eric will join Mary Nam on the 6 & 11pm newscasts(The spot being vacated by Dan Lewis)

Gaard Swanson

Do you think Gaard Swanson might be in line for a role in the evenings? He did just return from being the main anchor at a station.

Do you think Gaard Swanson might be in line for a role in the evenings? He did just return from being the main anchor at a station.

No Gaard is ony a freelance anchor/reporter at KOMO-TV. It's been known for years that once Dan Lewis stepped down from the anchor chair, Eric Johnson would be the one to take over his duties. Also Eric is Dan's primary fill-in when Dan is off.

I remember Gaard from KIRO several years ago, he did sports. I don't think KIRO has a sports reporter anymore (well, maybe Raible!)

-crainbebo

I remember Gaard from KIRO several years ago, he did sports. I don't think KIRO has a sports reporter anymore (well, maybe Raible!)

-crainbebo

They have Chris Francis handling sports duties on the weekends, and just have Steve Raible talk about sports during the weekdays. Also occasionally James Sido (who freelances at KIRO) does sports.

I'm curious JoseRM303... are you a news director at KOMO? You're really in the know with a lot of inside info.

Randy

No not at all just really into broadcast journalism. I usually get my info from other sites such as tvspy, ftvlive, tvnewser, tvnewstalk.net, tvnewscheck, tunnedinnyc etc. I only knew Eric Johnson would be Dan's replacement because of something a Seattle Times or Seattle PI newspaper article posted a few years ago.

I caught the end of the 6PM news on KOMO tonight where they did a great tribute to Dan. What a classy way for KOMO to send him out ... something many long time personalities (on both TV and radio) never get a chance to do. Dan also anchored the 5PM tonight, a newscast he was replaced on by Eric Johnson many years ago. I'm getting ready to watch the last newscast tonight at 11.

Here's the tribute clip from the end of the 6PM newscast:
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Tribute-to-a-newsman-Dan-Lewis-retires-260208311.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom