• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dick Morris should be fired from WPHT

J

Jul

It is a travesty that Dick Morris has been on for a year on WPHT now. He should have been let go a long time ago. We all know that Hannity should be airing in the 3-6 PM slot, not 9 PM-12 AM where it currently is now. If Andy bloom and Marc Rayfield have common sense, they would move Hannity to 3 PM and fire Morris. I will support 1210 WPHT again if that move were to occur.

Actually, we don't "all" know any such thing re: Hannity.

..... they would move Hannity to 3 PM and fire Morris. I will support 1210 WPHT again if that move were to occur.

That is an interesting bit of assertive observation. Can you tell us what makes Hannity so desireable.... while making Morris so undesirable?

Some of us don't care for... or agree... with either of them. Help us understand what it is that makes one of them shine better than the other.

That is an interesting bit of assertive observation. Can you tell us what makes Hannity so desireable.... while making Morris so undesirable?

Some of us don't care for... or agree... with either of them. Help us understand what it is that makes one of them shine better than the other.
Hannity should be airing live from 3-6 PM, not on a 6 hour delay from 9 PM-12 AM. In some cases, 1210 runs the show in its entirety causing Coast to coast AM to be pre-empted.

Of all the things to worry about in radio, I think Julius' complaint about Hannity being delayed in this market (not the only one, by the way) has been eclipsed by one guy's recurring complaint about Car Talk airing reruns since the hosts retired.

The really curious part is Julius has said he doesn't like right-wing talk anyway, so why does he care?

Now that the post-season is getting underway in hockey and basketball, stay tuned for Julius' complaints about local stations not carrying those games. Happily, we haven't heard anything lately about KYW's "bad signal" in Bucks County.

Of all the things to worry about in radio, I think Julius' complaint about Hannity being delayed in this market (not the only one, by the way) has been eclipsed by one guy's recurring complaint about Car Talk airing reruns since the hosts retired.

Is it reruns or is it recorded segments that were never used? I listened a couple weeks ago and I couldn't tell.

It is a travesty that Dick Morris has been on for a year on WPHT now. He should have been let go a long time ago. We all know that Hannity should be airing in the 3-6 PM slot, not 9 PM-12 AM where it currently is now. If Andy bloom and Marc Rayfield have common sense, they would move Hannity to 3 PM and fire Morris. I will support 1210 WPHT again if that move were to occur.
AGREED.

I thought it was more or less assumed that Hannity would move back to 3:00 as soon as Dick Morris's contract was up. What happened with that?

AGREED.

I thought it was more or less assumed that Hannity would move back to 3:00 as soon as Dick Morris's contract was up. What happened with that?

How many posters in this thread have access to Dick Morris' contract with WPHT?

I thought so.

AGREED.

Assumed by whom? One or two posters have made the unfounded claim/speculation, but there's zero in the way of actual evidence to support it.

If I understood Julius' reasoning above, it was part some other syndicated overnight show gets pre-empted by Hannity's last hour. Isn't that overnight show the one where the host sometimes talks about UFO's and other paranormal stuff? Now that is compelling radio - haha ! Could be more interesting than Hannity - heh heh. To each his/her own.

Comparing Morris vs Hannity as Goat Rodeo Cowboy asked. Morris isn't a radio guy, so his presentation is dry and could put you to sleep [dangerous during PM drive]. Hannity on the other hand is irritating, because of all the vile being spewed from his loud ranting mouth [not good for your blood pressure]. So frankly I find both not programs I seek to hear, for different reasons. While I don't agree with either quite often, my guess is Morris is more knowledgeable than Hannity.

Maybe the reason WPHT keeps Dick Morris on in PM Drive vs Hannity, maybe Morris show is more sellable for local avails as all those spots are local vs Hannity. Bottomline is money. IF WPHT is making more money with Morris than they did when they did have Hannity, then Julius and others have their answer. If WPHT believed they'd make more money airing Hannity in PM Drive, they would. Both are against Obama, so their message is essentially the same, the style of presentation is different. One more professorial and the other more ranting loud mouth. Maybe the professor style sells in Philly better than the ranting loud mouth.

Dick Morris' hiring was announced March 14, 2013. Julius made his original post about one month after Morris' first anniversary. Apparently, Morris has a multi-year deal, so we can wait each year for the Ides of March to see what happens.

Morris is/was a "name." Some suit at local CBS management thought hiring a "name" would be a coup. As long as that person keeps his job, Morris is likely to keep his. The guy who hired him is not likely to admit he was wrong. That's how radio works.

Refresh your memory with the prescient story in the Daily News announcing Morris' hiring. Compared to this, Julius' posts are almost a valentine to Morris.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/WPHTs-Dick-Morris-move.html

Dick Morris' hiring was announced March 14, 2013. Julius made his original post about one month after Morris' first anniversary. Apparently, Morris has a multi-year deal, so we can wait each year for the Ides of March to see what happens.

Morris is/was a "name." Some suit at local CBS management thought hiring a "name" would be a coup. As long as that person keeps his job, Morris is likely to keep his. The guy who hired him is not likely to admit he was wrong. That's how radio works.

Refresh your memory with the prescient story in the Daily News announcing Morris' hiring. Compared to this, Julius' posts are almost a valentine to Morris.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/WPHTs-Dick-Morris-move.html

Actually, Julius made his original post on Morris's one-year anniversary- his on-air debut was 4/15/13.

Actually, Julius made his original post on Morris's one-year anniversary- his on-air debut was 4/15/13.

Depends on whether his contract runs from the date of signing or the date of his first show.

Morris has had the time slot for over a year.

How do his ratings now compare to those of Hannity before he was moved?

And how does Hannity in his new slot compare to the ratings being garnered by Coast to Coast before the move?

These are simple questions for the professionals on this board to ferret out. I feel that without them we're jurors spouting our opinions without having seen the most critical evidence. With all due apologies to Juls, not even WPHT management deserves conviction on that basis!

For all the talk of this show-- and I'll admit I can't imagine how this can possibly be working, at least with regard to listenership-- has anyone actually seen a book? How is this program doing, especially in demos under 55? And how does it match up compared with when Hannity was in the slot a few years back?

From the occasional (and that's being kind) listening I do to this station, it seems at least *some* NTR is indeed being generated by Morris's presence. Just the other day there was a promotion mentioning his upcoming appearance at or connection to a Crash-Proof Retirement event. There have been similar happenings in the past. As long as things like that are going on, I'd imagine ratings-be-damned. Like infomercials.

I can't help but think this whole radio show thing was originally conceived by either Morris's people or station/company management as some kind of springboard to national syndication.

When it launched, I said it would probably last about as long as Whoopi Goldberg's morning show did. How long did that run, two years?

Whoopi is still working. Baba Wawa is gone.

Infomercials worked so well for WWDB. You'd think people would have learned something but ..... NOOOOOO!

Infomercials actually worked pretty well for WWDB. They helped jack up short-term revenue, allowing Charlie Banta's group to sell the station for something like $17 million more than it had paid less than two years earlier.

Oh, you meant ratings... Never mind.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom