• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New Clear Channel Study - WHAT?

Clear Channel just made a study of radio listeners and this is the line that got my attention: "The vast majority of Americans have interacted with radio personalities during their lifetimes; 8 out of 10 have called into a station, met a DJ in their community, or interacted in some other manner." This flies in the face of everything I've ever heard about the average listener! I'm hoping that David or Michael will see this and comment.

They said "During their lifetimes".....that could be a long, long time.
I'm 60, and I interacted with most everybody in my hometown market. Remotes at furniture and tire stores. Going down to the studios to visit. Asking them to help out with school projects. Helping out on parades.
Of course, that was years ago (1960's).

What I've always heard is that the vast majority of people have never called a radio station and never will.

That is true - but many have interacted in some other way. Met a DJ somewhere, posted on Facebook, etc.

The statement doesn't specify format. Come on David, I'm treading water here! :)

As mentioned before, the study talks about "contact" with a station. It lists calling in as one of the forms of contact, but hides the real contact in the phrase "... in some other manner" so they don't have to reveal that what they mean is that they had a banner at a concert... of a presence at the county fair.

Today contact is not calling a station. Who calls anyone most of the time today, anyway?

The contacts that are more common are booths / stages / presence at events and concerts, social media and things like that. In most cases, these are not occasions that involve active seeking of the station such as calling in are... they are intercepts where a person "sees" the station as part of another activity.

Everyone does, except in your closed universe!

Millenials seldom and only when necessary use the "telephone" part of their cell phones. Gen X has swung to texting for personal communication, FB, Pinterest and similar for exchange of content, email for precise communication and the web for things like setting a car service appointment.

While phones are fairly prevalent in the workplace still, the number of cell phone only households is approaching 30% and many people only retain a landline for their alarm system and such. Cellphone users quickly move to texting instead of phone calls.

The last group of about 125 people I "talked" with (early this week) was in the 25-44 age group and all but one had a smartphone. 50% of the use of the phone was for streaming of music and audio, as well as videos (YouTube and TV net free streams), followed by texting, emailing and finally talking real time. The prime reason to talk was to use FaceTime or other video app with the phone call.

Second favorite radio station: Pandora.

I think it is you who do not know what is going on out there.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom