• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

March Ratings for Philadelphia

I think "meaningless" is a bit strong. They are certainly not definitive for an advertiser trying to reach a specific demographic, but they do give an overall picture.

It appears that WPHT is a distant second to its sister station KYW on the AM dial and sports station WIP (also CBS owned) is #3 CBS "owns" the top spots on the band - Clear Channel, Cumulus and Salem aren't even in contention. This is likely why CBS is not inclined to make major changes in its AM lineup. Let us not forget that Philadelphia is where CBS began.

Last edited:
Any idea how WDAS-AM (Smooth Jazz 'JJZ) is doing? They don't seem to show up in the ratings. I know with that signal, they probably have 2 listeners, but I think Clear Channel's motive is to push the IHeartRadio app that they constantly cross promote. Anyone out there actually listen to 1480 AM? I try to when I'm in the area. World's worst 5,000 watt signal.

Smooth Jazz and Classical are probably the worst formats for AM radio. I can't believe they are doing any better than when they were Soul oldies. I would imagine they probably have very few listeners. It would be nice if Clear Channel would put 50's/60's oldies or standards on 1480. At least they would get a small but loyal audience. What they are doing now doesn't make any sense. 100.3 is an updated version of what 1480 did, but they rarely go into the 60's, yet the 50's...yes, I know undesirable demos..but it's an AM station at the high end of the dial. It would be an improvement over what they are currently doing...and it would make a lot of people over 55 happy...but I know if you are over 55 it doesn't matter.

Oddly, benale, on two separate casual occasions, I've gotten WDAS up this way recently -- both with the soul-oldies and the newer format. We're about 100 miles NNW of Philly and way out of even their fringe. But if the radio is sensitive enough (and it is), well *something* has to come in. 1480 has been vacant locally since WISL Shamokin went dark. 1480 is a cool DX channel, especially around sunset and just after sunrise.
Anyway, perhaps when the WDAS version of Smooth Jazz doesn't tilt the earth's axis, Clear Channel will try the Quiet Storm format.

Got a question myself about the demo issue. WPPZ shows up pretty well, and has for several years now 6-plus. I remember seeing them around 3.5 in the diary days. What is their chief demo strength?

I think you guys are missing the point of what Clear Channel is trying to do. I'm not trying to defend them as I actually dislike the company, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes and I think this smooth jazz thing on 1480 is actually pretty intelligent. If you listen to 1480 for any length of time, they push the IHeartRadio app almost constantly. What's one of the most popular internet streaming formats? Smooth jazz. I think the idea is simply to get people to hear the ad to come to the app, and then listen over there. Having a lame signal that kinda comes in sometimes is then simply just a little bonus for the people who enjoy the app to be able to take it into their non-smartphone compatible car for a few miles.

Let us not forget that Philadelphia is where CBS began.

No, it is not. CBS began in New York. Philly is where young Bill Paley first got interested in the radio business (buying air time for his family's cigar business). CBS did have an O&O in Philly until 1958 (in an very dumb move, they sold what is now one of - if not THE - top revenue generating station in the US to do it.

They also promote the 106.1 HD-2 signal, which is a good move to get HD on peoples minds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom