• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Fringe Austin Texas

flyingdj

Frequent Participant
I don't think this information has been posted on this board yet. I didn't find a thread for it.

This is the headline to the article followed by the link to the article:

Austin getting new radio station

http://www.austin360.com/weblogs/tv-radio-blog/2014/apr/14/austin-getting-new-radio-station/

Since this site is associated with the Austin American-Statesman, they might only leave the free articles up for 7 days. After that the free articles go to the archives where you have to pay to retrieve them so you won’t be able to use the free link above after 7 days from today if they follow the same format as the Austin American-Statesman. I don’t think that I am allowed to post the article because it would probably be removed due to copyright rules.

I've already read about the new station. The new station will be starting in a couple of days.

This is a reminder for those that like to catch the first broadcast of a new station.
This is the information that I found in the articles about it:

Band: FM
Frequency: 105.3 MHz
Call Sign: unknown
Nickname: The Fringe
Start time: 10:00 AM
Start date: 04/19/2014 (Saturday)

Sandy McIlree of "The All New JB and Sandy Morning Show" was on a sister station (The Horn) today promoting their new show and the new station.

"The All New JB and Sandy Morning Show" featuring Sandy McIlree and JB Hager will debut on 105.3 MHz, Monday (04/21/2014) at 6:00 AM.

One of their position statements is "It's Different Here".

The station plans to play "the new stuff to all the way back thirty years".

Here are some of the bands that he mentioned that will be played on the new station:

Lord
The National
Portugal. The Man
The Clash (London Calling)
The Police (Walking on the Moon)
Bob Marley
Queen
Lou Reed

He said the station will play songs that are not highly played by other stations for those groups.

This is the new Facebook page for their show:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-All-New-JB-and-Sandy-Morning-Show/263862483774432

The station will start at 10:00 AM on Saturday (04/19/2014) and explain what type of music the station will be playing and how it got started.

105.3 sounding more powerful than 104.9 in Northwest Austin Jollyville area on the Sanyo Quad receiver.
Sounds like a hybrid of the old KGSR format on 107.1, 94.5 the Buzz in the '90s, and 101x.

How and why the FCC want's to clutter FM like this I have no idea. IT's hard enough for me to DX to The beat any more with 98.5 (KOKE) in and they even seem to be broadcasting more then they are predicted in the coverage map.

Here is some information about the debut of The Fringe that might come in handy during a trivia contest.

The last song played by KOKE-FM on 105.3 MHz was “Sounds Like Love” by Johnny Lee on 04/19/2014.

The song was abruptly cut off before the end of the song at 10:01 AM and the station went to dead air.

There was dead air from 10:01 AM to 10:11 AM.

At 10:11 AM, they played these lyrics for less than ten seconds, “I walk down these streets I swear I hear your name but it’s just in my head” from the song “In My Arms Instead” by the Randy Rogers Band and then went back to dead air.

At 10:17 AM, the opening jingle went something (but not exactly) like this:

This is good radio
Redirect your radio signal right now
Right now
Radio silence
Sloppy
Fringe
Radio
The Fringe
Fringe
The Fringe
Fringe
(etc.)

The opening jingle was soon followed by this production:

It was sung and spoken to the beer commercial tune of “Budweiser/Bud Light Presents Real Men of Genius” (Today we salute you Mr…)

KJBS radio presents real men of genius (spoken by person #1)
Real men of genius (sung by person #2)
Today we salute you JB & Sandy (spoken by person #1)
Mr. I don’t want to play your corporate game (sung by person #2)
For telling MIX-FM to ram it up their pie hole (spoken by person #1)
We salute you (spoken by person #1)
I’m coming down on you like Swayze in Road House (sung by person #2)
So go ahead JB & Sandy (spoken by person #1)
Get your dirty ropers on and go Chuck Norris on MIX-FM (spoken by person #1)
** NOTE: I am not sure what the next line really says, this is only my guess. **
It’s a tight rope like a spider will kick (sung by person #2)
Who cares if Justin Bieber and Katy Perry get a hundred spins a month (spoken by person #1)
You’ve got live and local on your mind (spoken by person #1)
And those Ivy League pinheads can kiss every ounce of your ass (spoken by person #1)
Mr. I don’t want to play your corporate game (sung by person #2)

The production above was followed by the first song played at 10:19 AM:
London Calling by The Clash

Their phone number is 512-314-7777
The on air DJs: JB Hager and Sandy McIlree
The producer is: John
The Program Director is: Ray Segren

KOKE-FM will be on 98.5 MHz and 99.3 MHz

The dead air was due to their inability to figure out how to switch over to the new station.

I do not know if the call sign used in that production, KJBS, is really the new call sign or if it was used because of their initials (JB & Sandy).

If you want to hear some behind-the-scene details about The Fringe, you can find a lot of information in this (1 hour 20 minute) podcast about it:

Johnny Goudie
How Did I Get Here?
Episode 266: 105.3 The Fringe – J.B. Hager & Ray Seggern

Link to the Johnny Goudie podcast about The Fringe:

http://howdidigethere.podbean.com/2014/04/18/episode-266-1053-the-fringe-jb-hager-ray-seggern/

Johnny Goudie, an Austin musician, talks to J.B. Hager (of J.B. & Sandy) and Ray Seggern (the program director) about how the station began.

If you are interested in trivia, check out this 48 Hours Mystery link to learn more about Johnny Goudie and his mother:

48 Hours Mystery: Who Killed Natalie Antonetti?

Link to the 48 Hours Mystery program about Johnny Goudie and his mother:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/48-hours-mystery-who-killed-natalie-antonetti/

Let's see how many Austin stations are now AAA or Indie? Too many. Just like the Spanish stations in Houston, too many. Cole should have made 105.3 Oldies and did Sports/Talk for 104.9, or vise versa. I'm sure JB and Sandy could deal with a Sports/Talk format.

AAA or Indie Stations in Austin:

1. KGSR
2. KUTX
3. KDRP
4. 103.1 iHeartCrap
5. 105.3 Fringe

Does Austin really need (5) of these?

Their signal is painful...

I have HD in the car, and it sounds worse than 105.3 - and I get KSMG more often than the translated signal of HD4.

Just like the Spanish stations in Houston, too many.

In Houston, there are about 27 shares for Spanish language in 18-49, and all but 1 share goes to the top 6 Spanish language FMs... an average of over 4 shares per station!

Hardly "too many".

In Houston, there are about 27 shares for Spanish language in 18-49, and all but 1 share goes to the top 6 Spanish language FMs... an average of over 4 shares per station!

Hardly "too many".

And there is too many CHR or, variation thereof, stations, and Classic Rock, and it's wannabe Classic Rock stations (KISS and JACK) in San Antonio.

Mix 94.7 Majic 95.5 KHFI 96.7 102.3 The Beat And Other Lhen Some Latin Songs There Pop As Well Terrible Waist Of Time!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom