• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Eugene and Portland signals

bobdavcav

Star Participant
What's up here? Has anyone been down to Eugene and tried Portland stations down there, then tried Eugene stations in Portland with the same radio? What have been your results? I do not understand why I can get most Portland sticks from Eugene but hardly any of the Eugene sticks come in in Portland. KGON is blocked most of the time by KHRB-LP, but in tropo KHRB is blown completely off the air at the Eugene Global Tuners node, which is the only comparison I can give as I've never been down that way, farthest south on 5 I've been is Albany. Usually KRYP is pretty weak but listenable, same with KPDQ-FM, and KNRK, though KNRK is directional away from Eugene so this makes some sense. KBFF, KYCH, and KPLV come in like locals from that receiver, KUPL can be spotty but can also come in like a local. KWJJ is blocked by a religious translator, while KKRZ sometimes fades in and out but is mostly in stereo. KXL-FM sounds pretty good, while KINK is significantly degraded by the KWAX translator to the south. KKCW and KFIS come in pretty well to in and out, while KRSK is usually pretty good but is in and out sometimes. KFBW seems to be blocked by the KNLR translator, which does well despite being 40 miles away. KLTH does well down there, while KXJM does not, though this could be due to the KLVU translator at 107.3. In contrast, I was down in Portland earlier this week with my G8 and didn't get much from Eugene. No sign of KKNU on 93.3, no KMGE or for that matter KLYK on 94.5, no KUJZ on 95.3, no KZEL on 96.1 although when KXXO is on full power they usually dominate this frequency, no KODZ on 99.1, nothing on 100.5, KEHK is blocked by the KKRZ-hd2 translator, no sign of KNRQ's new signal on 103.7 while the old one would have made it, no sign of KEUG on 105.5, and 107.1 was a weak KRQT. I did receive the following from down that way, 99.9 KRKT, 101.5 KFLY, 104.7 KDUK, 106.3 KLOO, and 107.9 KHPE. Nothing was the strong local-sounding signal I'm used to hearing from Portland sticks in Eugene. Why?

I'm not familiar with KPLV. KNRK no longer protects Eugene, other than only being a Class C2. KMGE reduced power instead. KNRK protects Kelso WA. As far as your main question is concerned, I would say that line-of-sight of Eugene is probably better from the Portland towers than Portland is from the Eugene towers. I seem to get KKNU all over the place. I'm always picking it up and never did when it was on 93.1! Now that it's a first adjacency, there's no problem.

Hmm, maybe the West Hills get in the way a little? There's a possibility I'll be relocating to that area at least temporarily starting in late September, so I'll keep an ear out for KKNU.

I've been tearing those KPLV calls apart and I think I've finally figured it out. Did you mean to say KLVP 97.9?

I have heard KKNU 93.3 down there on my G8 - I was in Gresham however. I've even heard them up in Ocean Shores during tropo. KLYK was also heard and once I had KZEL, but KXXO almost always blocks it. KDUK/KRKT/KFLY/KLOO/KHPE are fine. The others I haven't heard yet. Shockingly 99.1 is blank as can be. Bongwater says there will be a new LGBT LPer in PDX however soon.

-crainbebo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom