• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WSNE legal id

U

Unregistered

I just heard the legal id for WSNE-FM and it didn't mention anything about Taunton. I heard it at around 2pm and I immediately thought this must be a joke. Then I saw a Wikipedia article that said nothing about the apparent change. What is going on (by the way,I like the new female announcer)

Listening online, I have heard a few liners that drop references to the "90s to Now." I have even heard one liner that says, "Today's Hit Music." Some people have scoffed at a CHR war between 92 PRO-FM and Coast, stating that the stations are too close in terms of dial position. In Charlotte, NC, however, a CHR war has been going on for years between CBS and CC, with the two stations at 95.1 and 96.1.

In an unrelated note, Coast seems to play very little 90s music. I am not sure if they are still using the iHeartRadio playlist, but I would be surprised if more than one song per hour is from the 90s. Most songs played come from the past five years.

Too close on the dial means nothing. For years, Hartford had a battle between WTIC-FM 96.5 as 96-TIC FM and 95.7 KISS-FM/Kiss 95.7. WTIC-FM was a straight CHR/Top 40 station then and Kiss was a CHR/Top 40, with an urban lean. Today? Kiss is just another run-of-the-mill Clear Channel stale top 40 outlet.

As for the legal ID at 93.3 FM, are you sure it wasn't buried in a commercial stopset at about 10-of-the-hour or so?

The legal is in fact buried in the :50 stopset, but it's incorrect. I happened to catch both the "buried" legal and the unofficial TOH liner. The legal doesn't mention Taunton, or the HD operation. Fortunately, nobody in any position of power cares.

Why does CC seem to bury the TOH IDs in the stopset, instead of at the top of the hour? This trend seems to have started in the last few months at CC stations everywhere.

Their new positioner statement is "Southern New England's Hit Music Station" which replaced "The 90s To Now". This type of slogan is commonly found on CHRs, not Hot ACs, but it's not unheard of. It's not necessarily any indication that Coast is 'going CHR'; that's most likely reading into it too much or wishful thinking.

Regarding the legalities of the ID... I've heard at least 5 different :50 stopsets in the past month where the legal is indeed in that stopset. In the past, they have said "WSNE Taunton Providence" which is actually still illegal. Why is it illegal if the COL of Taunton is being said you might ask? It's because the "-FM" suffix can actually part of the official FCC call sign for any FM station. It's actually required for any FM if the call sign is also used on an AM station as well. Note that "-FM" can still be used even if the call sign is not being used on an AM (such as the case with WSNE-FM). -FM is also not required if a TV station (-TV) is using that call sign, as long as it's not being used on AM.

93.3's licensed call sign is for a fact "WSNE-FM" -- http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=WSNE. Clear Channel did use WSNE on an AM station down south about a decade ago, but it has since been changed. Nothing is stopping CC from changing the call sign back to "WSNE". Another example of this same situation is 106.1 WCOD-FM on the Cape. For at least 20 years now, they start out with "WCOD Hyannis...". This is illegal, since the call sign is officially WCOD-FM -- http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=WCOD. Finally, another one I have heard was 97.9 WPXY in Rochester, NY (98PXY). It is officially WPXY-FM -- http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?call=WPXY, however at some point since Entercom aquired it from CBS Radio, they are now saying "WPXY and WPXY HD1 Rochester". It should be "WPXY-FM and WPXY-FM HD1 Rochester". Moreover, it is perfectly legal to simplify this to "WPXY and HD1 Rochester". The scheme "[FCC call sign] and HD1 [city of license]" properly IDs both the analog and HD1 signal.

A minor error on my last post. I mentioned the simplification of the WPXY-FM ID. I meant to say "WPXY-FM and HD1 Rochester" is legal. I actually mistyped it leaving off the -FM myself, which would be illegal! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom