• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How to lose your job in radio

crowbobley

I've been mulling this over for a while. Here's some:
1.) Make too much money. They always go for the highest paid person in a job category when cutbacks come.
2.) Get close to your bosses boss. It makes your boss uncomfortable.
3.) Have experience. They hate it when you tell them their idea is illegal, unethical or doomed to failure.
4.) Be too old. More expensive to insure, and also see above.
5.) Use the insurance. Honestly, I've known several people who were fired after having an expensive illness, or even showing an indication they might have one.
6.) Arguing with a co-worker. The manager doesn't have time or inclination to figure out who's right. He just knows there's a problem.
7.) Contradict your boss's politics... or your station's talk show host's politics
8.) Get negative publicity.
9.) Work in an At-Will Employment state. They really don't need a reason at all. They got knives and they got to cut something.
10.) See the guy who hired you leave. The new guy doesn't know you or what you do. It doesn't matter if you do the work of three people. He promised his buddy he'd bring him with in the new gig.
Any other ideas?

Gee you might as well have named the thread, "...lose your job anywhere".

R

I've been mulling this over for a while. Here's some:
1.) Make too much money. They always go for the highest paid person in a job category when cutbacks come.

This might need some qualification. I've worked with a lot of high priced talent. But what ultimately got them canned was when their income exceeded the revenues they attracted.

2.) Get close to your bosses boss. It makes your boss uncomfortable.

If this is the case anywhere you work... go find a new boss!

(It is a VERY big problem in radio because we're an industry full of fragile egos... but I'm lucky enough to work outside of radio now, and my boss encourages me to get close to his boss, and his boss's boss. It is SO much healthier than what I'm used to!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom