• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WYNU Format Change

anotherguyTN

Walk of Fame Participant
I discovered today that WYNU Rock 92.3 in Milan/Jackson, TN has changed from classic rock to classic hits from the 70's and 80's with the new name U92. I found out that they changed formats on Mon. Apr. 7th.
I'm surprised at this happening since WYNU has been AOR and classic rock since the 80's. I actually don't mind the change myself, but I'd imagine that there's probably a lot of negative reaction from longtime listeners.

That could impact Kool 103, in particular. We listened to them going to and from west TN last month. This once again (apparently) leaves Jax without a classic rocker. Of course, they lost John Boy & Billy to SL-100 a couple of years ago.

I suppose everyone in Jackson is going to dust off their "Jackson, TN, home of wimp rock radio" bumper stickers once again. Those stickers showed up after the old WKIR went country back around 1981. And they are still country to this day, as far as I know.

WYNU was a top 40 station back when I lived in west TN back in the '80s. Probably the best signal in west TN outside of Memphis.

In some ways I think I'll like this better than Kool 103 because so far they've been playing top hits, probably from the late 60's into the early 80's. Kool 103 mixes in music that runs too close to easy listening at times. They seem to have kept some of the same staff that was there already. Something I wonder is if they'll still carry Titans football.

I was a semi-regular listener to Rock 92.3, but I tend to jump around a lot on the dial, especially when my wife and/or daughter are in the car with me. I change stations when I want to find a song I like better and my wife changes it when any station goes to talk or ads. :rolleyes:

104.1 is still country. They're Froggy 104 now and are owned by Forever, who also owns 92.3. I wouldn't be surprised to see Titans football go there.

Last edited:
When I lived in the weststate, I lived in UC and could pick up 92.3, Q102, 104.1, basically anything with a listenable signal and tower on the north side of Jackson. Kool 103 (weren't they "Mix 103" at one time, based on those call letters?) has a tower on the south side of Jackson (I think), so I believe I was just outside their listening area.

I believe the format flip happened on April 1st. I tuned in to WYNU on my way back from Nashville and thought it was an April Fools Joke...then I noticed their switched their facebook page and website. I was definitely surprised by the switch. I've always known them as a classic rocker...way back into their "Power 92" days.

I assume this is an easier format to sell...but, and I could be wrong, I thought 92 had a strong-hold in the 25-54 male demo. I know there were a lot of angry people those first couple of days after the switch...glad I didn't have to answer the phones that week. ;)

I hope they do well with the switch.

Kool 103 (weren't they "Mix 103" at one time, based on those call letters?)

103.1 was the top-40 station that pushed Rock 40 WYNU to classic rock/AOR in the mid-to-late 80's. Unfortunately, it quickly got caught being a CHR when no one wanted to be a CHR. So, it went hot AC as either "Mix 103" or "Mix 103.1." That lasted about a year, and it switched to oldies as Kool 103, which it's been ever since.

My suspicion of U92 running satellite music programming during some of their dayparts was confirmed tonight as I was scanning the dial during the 7 p.m. hour. I was in West KY at the time, and came across an AM station (of unknown location) on 1460 running the same thing that was on U92. The only difference was that the feed on the AM station (wherever it is) was ahead of U92's feed by about two minutes. Before discovering this, I thought U92 might be voice tracking from out-of-market as I've heard some new talent since the change from Rock 92.3 to U92 back in April.

I'm guessing they're probably only live during drive time and possibly midday now.

I know they are live during the morning drive time, but I think they are satellite during the afternoon. I think it was local at one time, but I've heard a lot of canned satellite-type jocks talking about random stuff. I heard this several times recently...once around 4pm and the other time around 5pm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom