• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

they ruined metv

hangman

Frequent Participant
Since METV was cancelled from WFMZ and is now on this new shister station KJWP they added infomercials. Shows like Donna Reed are off and Weight Loss is on. When WFMZ had METV they had the whole program schedule 24/7, now that its on Channel 2 many shows are gone. Corporate greed rears its ugly head once again...

I was watching "Hogan's Hero's" on Antenna TV last night and the opening and closing was like listening to the Chipmunks. The actor's voices also seemed higher pitched at different times throughout the show. I don't know if it was being sped up for commercial insertion or they might have been having a technical glitch.

We don't have 3 other broadcast channels showing infomercials practically 24/7? Hey owners of KJWP, why don't you show Me 24/7 like WFMZ used to? You'll get more viewers than infomercials.

Cute, but the HH episode was in B&W so it was one of the early ones (I think it said 1965).

Here's what the money-grubbers are not letting you see (so they can run infomercials)...

Wanted: Dead or Alive
My Three Sons
Petticoat Junction
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Donna Reed Show
I Love Lucy

Some SOBs who list their address as being in New Hampshire use some obsolete loophole in FCC regs to move a translator in the middle of Wyoming to Wilmington. This old loophole was meant to insure each state has local programming - especially news and public service programming - meet the public interest, convenience and necessity. But Delaware's three TV stations all have their transmitters in Philly and both channels 2 and 61 offer no local programming - none, zip, nada.

It was a better world when infomercials were illegal.

I wonder if they picked the shows that get the lesser ratings to preempt for the infomercials? I've not watched the station a lot, but haven't noticed any local spots, so maybe to pay the bills KJWP decided to air some infomercials.

Sadly, the two commercial Wilmington TV stations KJWP 2 and WPPX 61 do not air ANY local programming. The PBS non-comm offers the only Delaware based program, the 30 minute once a week news magazine "First". Sadly the FCC doesn't require stations to air any local programming so they don't.

I noticed the other day that KJWP legal ID has changed and now says KJWP Wilmington, De instead of Wilmington/Philadelphia. The icon on the lower right part of the screen also says ME TV Wilmington instead of Philly as it did a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why they made these changes. Channel 12 and 61 still show Wilmington/Philly in their legal Id's.

The time period they picked for infomercials is probably their worst time period in terms of audience size. But Lucy and the Beverly Hillbillies are among the biggest draws among Oldies TV shows. Probably an arbitrary decision motivated by greed. METV was running the black and white episodes of Petticoat Junction from the first two seasons when they were still on 69.3. Those have not been shown for a long time and came from a time when the sisters were sexy and the show was actually funny. I'm glad, at least, I got to see those again. Back in the day, I had a huge crush on Bobbie Jo #1 (Pat Woodell) - and still do.
Given Steve McQueen's career, I'd think Wanted: Dead of Alive would be a good draw, too.

Yes, Wilmington has no local TV. Of course, Wilmington is not a TV market so no reason to except local TV for New Castle County any more than - say - Montgomery County. But let's place the blame where it belongs: The money-grubbing Steinmanns of Lancaster County, PA who eviscerated Wilmington's VHF allocation so they could increase power on their Lancaster station.

I wonder if they picked the shows that get the lesser ratings to preempt for the infomercials? I've not watched the station a lot, but haven't noticed any local spots, so maybe to pay the bills KJWP decided to air some infomercials.

Sadly, the two commercial Wilmington TV stations KJWP 2 and WPPX 61 do not air ANY local programming. The PBS non-comm offers the only Delaware based program, the 30 minute once a week news magazine "First". Sadly the FCC doesn't require stations to air any local programming so they don't.

I noticed the other day that KJWP legal ID has changed and now says KJWP Wilmington, De instead of Wilmington/Philadelphia. The icon on the lower right part of the screen also says ME TV Wilmington instead of Philly as it did a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why they made these changes. Channel 12 and 61 still show Wilmington/Philly in their legal Id's.
The bug says Wilmington / Philadelphia instead of Philadelphia / Delaware Valley. They say in the legal ID, "KJWP Wilmington Philadelphia". The graphic now say "KJWP Wilmington DE".

Since METV was cancelled from WFMZ and is now on this new shister station KJWP they added infomercials. Shows like Donna Reed are off and Weight Loss is on. When WFMZ had METV they had the whole program schedule 24/7, now that its on Channel 2 many shows are gone. Corporate greed rears its ugly head once again...

KJWP isn't a sister station of WFMZ. WFMZ had their Me TV taken away from them. Maybe it's no loss to WFMZ. The channel has been stale lately anyways. If one really wants "I Love Lucy", they buy the DVDs. I think it's on Amazon Prime for free. Maybe it's on Hallmark still? Those other shows seem to be more niche, but I suppose the die hard ME TV fans that received the subchannel aren't pleased.

The plus side is Dish and DirecTV customers get the channel now, and Me-TV is on Comcast in Atlantic City, as the WFMZ subchannel wasn't carried on these systems.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom