• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is KFBK the best 15 minutes for News?

S

SFSAC

I could go on a long diatribe, but I'm interested to hear other comments on this station. Mine are that yes, for 15 minutes maybe at the most 30, this giant of news serves the community. In my observation of the morning program, after that, it's all down hill. Listen for an hour or more, you'll hear the same stories-not rewritten, the same sound bites and lack there of inside the newscast, as well as sound bites from other sources not properly credited. The station touts traffic every 10 minutes. So in a 60 minute newscast they have 6 traffic reports totaling 4:30 minutes an hour. The reports are read quickly and never really follow a specific direction of traffic going from 50 to 80 to 99 back to 80 to west bound 50 to east bound 80 to a cow in Auburn. Financial reports are updated regularly and Brothers, for some reason, continues his streak of letting us know what the value of currency is in case we're "headed across the pond." As for the afternoon, well, one word....Giggles!!! Is there room for improvement? ABSOLUTELY! Will someone challenge them in news, probably not. I wouldn't be proud of the product...well, except for 15 minutes. Without personal attacks, I'd love to hear your opinions.

For 15 minutes, yes, but only because they have little competition. There are no Sacramento based news/talk stations other than KFBK. Their delivery over the years has become more informal and seems targeted at younger audiences. KFBK's imaging and music beds now resemble more of an "action news" type of production than in the past when they were comparable to most other conservative, dry, and boring AM news stations. A lot of entertainment and lifestyle based segments now mixed in with the top stories, plus every segment has its own sponsor. And then you have sports guy Pat Walsh pop in playing hard rock or something under his sportscast. Plus lots of laughing and small talk back in forth between Kitty and others. You might argue much changed when they expanded to FM, so my guess is it's the attempt to bring in younger listeners. Much different than they were 15-20 years ago!!

I get my radio news from Capital Public Radio (KXJZ) for the most part, not sure what the ratings say comparing the two though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom