• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

There Was Never A Shortage Of Product:

Today, that means spending on new media, FB post promotion, iTunes and all that.

That band generates millions of dollars, even without radio airplay, and they can get booked on any TV show they want. All they have to do is hire a publicist.

Later this year, the Doobie Brothers are going to re-release their hits singing with some country stars. They've been signed by Sony, and all of the key members are back, including Tom Johnston, Patrick Simmons, and even Michael McDonald. They may or may not get radio airplay on the project, but they WILL get attention. There is big money backing this one.

It's guys like you, your "A"ness, that can't see the truth of...such as...this Cross-roads project. Bruce Cohn, long-time manager of The Doobie Brothers, is one of the most Briliant men to ever execute Enterprise. This is undoutingly his idea.

If you've been in the media as long as I have, you can only clearly read this as Country format airplay, and really nothing else. Much like Country fans own Skynyrd product, so do they own Doob! So, after all the stir, and however much exposure, and airplay it all nets. They will sell product....their original product, and this project will find its way to the bargin bend in the stores, much like "Common Thread"; The Eagles (covers) tribute.

Sorry to Pee in your Cheerios, but you deserve it!

If you've been in the media as long as I have,

The fact that I'm still in it means that I've been in it longer than you.

They will sell product....their original product, and this project will find its way to the bargin bend in the stores

You must mean "bargain bins." Common Thread was a huge seller in its day, back when people bought physical product. They don't do that much any more. The main thing this album will do is allow the band to reach a new audience that was born and raised after their first hits. Journey could benefit from this as well, but they won't, because they'll make more from touring than anything else.

Allll-right, pay attention, as I'm teaching again....raise your hand, if you need to go to the restroom. TheBigA, you can go, but make sure that you have your tweazers.

Journey has made good money off of (Recorded) Product sales, and not from the benefit of Sony, their last major label. June of '08's "Revelation", the first fronted by Arnell Pineda, sold over 102,000 copies, with very little airplay. Packaged for $11.88, their Walmart exclusive gave you 1) the new studio album, 2) a re-recorded greatest hits disc, and 3) a full Live DVD concert. Regarding the re-record of "Separate Ways", Pineda delivered high notes,...that Steve Perry could only dream of hitting.

Not too bad, +plus all that tour money. However, Radio screwed themselves, as the three offered singles were stellar as well: Never Walk Away, Where Did I Lose Your Love, and After All these years.

However, Radio screwed themselves, as the three offered singles were stellar as well: Never Walk Away, Where Did I Lose Your Love, and After All these years.

Had the public been more vociferous (there's a 4-syllable word for you to look up), it would have received more airplay. But radio listeners didn't care. They can watch karaoke singers on The Voice.

There are several of us old Radio Dawgs that read this site. We find the younger ones like TheBigA, his royal "A"-ness quite amuzing. Flonting an alleged high IQ, catch phrases, and Big words.

The Truth is: I was pulling double-digit ratings on the air, back when everything that he had wrapped around his fanny, he soiled it!

The Truth: It was the Corp PD's that denied airplay to those artists that they just didn't like. Incorrectly Programming launched in Cluster form!

There are several of us old Radio Dawgs that read this site. We find the younger ones like TheBigA, his royal "A"-ness quite amuzing. Flonting(sic) an alleged high IQ, catch phrases, and Big words.

Why do you have to flaunt your disdain for those with contrarian views of radio or music with rude expressions and demeaning insults? Can't you simply state your point without trying to make it "stick" by meanly discrediting those other posts?

The Truth: It was the Corp PD's that denied airplay to those artists that they just didn't like. Incorrectly Programming launched in Cluster form!

You can believe whatever you want to believe. But it's not the truth. The truth is that no one at Columbia was invested in the karaoke version of Journey. The label was due one more album by the band to complete the contract, they released it without promotion, and called it a day.

I think it's a shame that people with your level of experience are so gullible as to fawn over a karaoke band. In MY day, we knew fake singers from the real thing. The real singers create their own sound and style, and don't do note-for-note copies of originals. If you bought art that way, you'd lose a lot of money.

Why do you have to flaunt your disdain for those with contrarian views of radio or music with rude expressions and demeaning insults? Can't you simply state your point without trying to make it "stick" by meanly discrediting those other posts?

It appears that Scooter has been taking some lessons from Saul Alinsky - in particular - Rule 5 & 12.

New Product, By Major Talent, Yet Still...No Airplay:

In the last few years, Heart has released three studio, and one Live album, yet still
No Airplay. Steve Miller, three studio, with one being a Blues album.

Last year both Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple topped the LP chart in Europe, with two brilliant studio LP's

New this year from: Ian Anderson, Asia, Jack Bruce, Winger, Brian May, Wishbone Ash, Missing Persons, Nazareth..........

Yes, they can still do it, and they still make records.....on their own labels!

It appears that Scooter has been taking some lessons from Saul Alinsky - in particular - Rule 5 & 12.

Particularly #5 which says, “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating."

A Small Wake-Up Call For CHR:

A small wake-up call for all you Pencilneck Corp PD's who daily select Awwww-ful major record label fodder for airplay,...with neither a jot, nor tittle of merrit!

Yes, Rap/Hip-hop Horse manure, and just expect your audience to like it. There was never a shortage of good Pop material either, but you are inslave-id to whims of what the labels have to say.

Miami Steve Van Zandt has given the nod,...and the "Name"...to a new Foursome:
THE EMPTY HEARTS....they are...Wally(The Romantics), Elliott(The Cars),
Clem(Blondie), and a guy from The Chesterfield Kings, on Bass.

The Sound Cloud sounds awesome,....and the rest is due out August 5th.

Is this,...my approch to Programming CHR new? No, but it was always successful.

Stop poisoning your playlist with major label fodder!!!!!!!!!!!

Scooter, these poor saps you get after day after day have no choice. They are only doing what they are commanded. They need not suffer any derision, but need our pity. For they are charged with defending the indefensible.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom