• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nash

are you sure its antenna is only ten miles west of NYC? 94.7 has serious signal
problems in some NYC areas.

I did some measurements using Google Earth. It's about 13 miles from the transmitter to lower Manhattan, and about 14 miles from the transmitter to Central Park.

I did some measurements using Google Earth. It's about 13 miles from the transmitter to lower Manhattan, and about 14 miles from the transmitter to Central Park.

That is closer to "the central city" than many major market antenna farms are. The issue here is the wall of large buildings that make signal penetration more difficult than in virtually any other US city.

The issue here is the wall of large buildings that make signal penetration more difficult than in virtually any other US city.

But as I've said, how many actual country listeners will they have on the island of Manhattan?

On the other hand, their current West Orange antenna location has direct line of sight into Brooklyn, Queens, and the rest of Long Island.

But as I've said, how many actual country listeners will they have on the island of Manhattan?

On the other hand, their current West Orange antenna location has direct line of sight into Brooklyn, Queens, and the rest of Long Island.

The issue here is that the signal, coming from nearly 20 miles to the West of the ESB, does not get very far out on LI. In fact, much of its coverage on LA is in areas where you would not expect a lot of country core to live... Long Island has its share of Brighton Beaches...

Compare the ratings of WNSH to WJVC in the Nassau book.

But WJVC is far out in Suffolk and only puts a 65 dbu over 175,000 people in a market of just under 3 million... about 6%.

It covers from the Hamptons to Mastic, not even reaching Pachogue.

WNSH covers, besides the bouroughs that are on Long Islan, enough of Nassau County to reach nearly 1/3 of that market... and in the last book, only got 0.4 shares more than WJVC did.

WJVC doesn't get into Nassau County and I thought they didn't subscribe to Arbitron so how can one compare?

Subscribers and agencies get the full Nassau / Suffolk book which includes non-subscribers.

But you are right... WJVC is a bit like the more famous East End station, WLNG... it does not get very far west and it covers very few people.

The complaint was the Nash signal doesn't cover Long Island. But it covers enough of the most populated part to do better than a similar station located on the Island. The fact is that there will not be a full market signal going country. This is the best situation they can get.

The complaint was the Nash signal doesn't cover Long Island. But it covers enough of the most populated part to do better than a similar station located on the Island. The fact is that there will not be a full market signal going country. This is the best situation they can get.

How about a NYC full market country signal on 99.5. ? if Pacifica sells 99.5 for needed cash.

Nash does well in western long island----it just needs lots of promotion.

Do not knock NASH --just knock its owner----there are no tv ads ,no NASHMOBILES,etc!!!!Staten Island is THUNDER COUNTRY since NASH does no promotion.
Cumulus wants to say they have a country station in NYC. (NASH FM).
they can exploit that in Nashvillle & elsewhere. ( to make $$$$).
in several areas of NYC where NASH 94.7 is weak, hard to receive or is
unable to receive at all. Calling this a NYC station is an exaggeration.

I just saw that Nash has a new PD...Brian Thomas from CBS-FM fame. I guess the guy doing double duty with PLJ got the boot so perhaps we will see some action now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom