• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Markets where at least one of the big 4 network stations is in a different city

I would say so. In the case of the Paducah/Cape Girardeau/Harrisburg market, it is also a case of being too far away from such SMSAs. The nearest metropolitan areas from there (in every direction) are Memphis, St. Louis, Evansville, Little Rock, and Nashville. And as I mentioned earlier, not everyone in that market gets ABC from Harrisburg. We got ABC from Jackson, TN, while those in the western fringes of that "market" probably got theirs from KAIT in Jonesboro, AR.

The western portion of the market also gets ABC on KPOB in Poplar Bluff, though that's merely a simulcast of WSIL in Harrisburg.

To the topic at hand: KPHO (CBS), KSAZ (FOX), and KNXV (ABC) are licensed to Phoenix, whereas KPNX (NBC) is licensed to Mesa.

KCSM has not been connected with PBS since 2009. The station picks up international newscasts and dramas(mostly police procedurals) from MHZ Worldview.
I could have sworn that when KNTV started transmitting from Mt. San Bruno, the COL changed to San Francisco.

The San Francisco Bay Area (cities of license)...

San Francisco: KRON 4 (My), KPIX 5 (CBS), KGO 7 (ABC), KQED 9 (PBS), KDTV 14 (Univision), KOFY 20 (Ind.), KTSF 26 (Multi-ethnic), KMTP 32 (Public Ind.), KCNS 38 (MundoFox), KBCW 44 (CW), KKPX 65 (Ion), KFSF 66 (UniMas)
Oakland: KTVU 2 (Fox)
San Jose: KNTV 11 (NBC), KICU 36 (Ind.), KSTS 48 (Telemundo), KQEH 54 (PBS)
Concord: KTNC 42 (Estrella TV)
Santa Rosa/Somona County: KRCB 22 (PBS), KEMO 50 (Azteca)
San Mateo: KCSM 60 (PBS)

The western portion of the market also gets ABC on KPOB in Poplar Bluff, though that's merely a simulcast of WSIL in Harrisburg.
I lived close enough that I probably could have picked up KPOB, but I did not know about its existence back then. But as a straight simulcast of a southern Illinois station, it would have been of no use at all to me in west Tennessee. Whoever wrote the WSIL Wikipedia page claimed that WSIL was viewed in NW TN, but as a former resident of that area, I can attest that it was not. We watched WBBJ-TV out of Jackson, TN. It was the only local station with primarily rural west TN coverage, although channel 6 out of Paducah had a west TN bureau.

The Raleigh-Durham market (#24), which includes Fayetteville (located 75 miles to the south), has its Big Four affiliates pretty much spread out between different cities in the DMA, at least on paper, though most studios are in the core city of Raleigh:

WRAL-TV (CBS) Raleigh (studios in Raleigh)
WTVD (ABC) Durham (studios in Durham)
WNCN-TV (NBC) Goldsboro (studios in Raleigh)
WRAZ-TV (Fox) Raleigh (studios co-loated with WRAL-TV in Raleigh; recently moved back there from Durham)

Also, Raleigh's neighbor market to the east, Greenville-Washington-New Bern (ranking in the 90s), has this set-up for the Big Four:

WITN-TV (NBC) Washington (studios were there until recently moving to Greenville)
WFXI (Fox) Morehead City (studios moved from Morehead City to New Bern at sister station WCTI's studios)
WNCT-TV (CBS) Greenville (studios in Greenville)
WCTI (ABC) New Bern (studios in New Bern)
WYDO (Fox, satellite of WFXI), Greenville (studios moved from Morehead City to New Bern at sister station WCTI's studios)

Albany, GA:

WALB 10.1 (NBC) Albany
WALB 10.2 (ABC) Albany
WFXL 31 (Fox) Albany
WSWG (CBS) Valdosta, basically a satellite to WCTV 6, (CBS) in Tallahassee

Savannah:

WSAV 3 (NBC) Savannah
WTOC 11 (CBS) Savannah
WJCL 22 (ABC) Savannah
WTGS 28 (Fox) Hardeeville, SC

Jacksonville, FL:

WTLV 12 (NBC) Jacksonville
WJXX 25 (ABC) Orange Park, FL
WAWS 30 (Fox) Jacksonville
WTEV 47 (CBS) Jacksonville

Last edited:
The Raleigh-Durham market (#24), which includes Fayetteville (located 75 miles to the south), has its Big Four affiliates pretty much spread out between different cities in the DMA, at least on paper, though most studios are in the core city of Raleigh:

WRAL-TV (CBS) Raleigh (studios in Raleigh)
WTVD (ABC) Durham (studios in Durham)
WNCN-TV (NBC) Goldsboro (studios in Raleigh)
WRAZ-TV (Fox) Raleigh (studios co-loated with WRAL-TV in Raleigh; recently moved back there from Durham)
Can people in the Fayetteville area pick up these stations without cable or satellite?

The city where I live doesn't have a single television or radio station in the entire town! I'm forced to watch or listen to programs from as much as ten to forty miles away!

The city where I live doesn't have a single television or radio station in the entire town! I'm forced to watch or listen to programs from as much as ten to forty miles away!
My little town is the COL for a local radio station, but of course, all their programming is aimed at Nashville. There is NOTHING on this particular station particularly aimed at my town.

My little town is the COL for a local radio station, but of course, all their programming is aimed at Nashville. There is NOTHING on this particular station particularly aimed at my town.

I was making the point that it doesn't matter if some dinky suburban bedroom community is or isn't the COL for a radio or TV station. The city I used to live in had dozens of local stations that had some two-bit suburb as their COL, but that's only because the local politicians didn't want to lose their power and influence (and potential for graft) by supporting urban consolidation. If that city wasn't so totally stuck back in the 19th century politically, the entire metropolitan statistical area would be a single, unified city government, and all the local radio and TV stations would all have the same legal COL.

I was making the point that it doesn't matter if some dinky suburban bedroom community is or isn't the COL for a radio or TV station. The city I used to live in had dozens of local stations that had some two-bit suburb as their COL, but that's only because the local politicians didn't want to lose their power and influence (and potential for graft) by supporting urban consolidation. If that city wasn't so totally stuck back in the 19th century politically, the entire metropolitan statistical area would be a single, unified city government, and all the local radio and TV stations would all have the same legal COL.
What city are you referring to, yours? Nashville has been metro since 1963. As far as I know, all the local TV stations here are Nashville COLs. The radio station COLs, for the most part, are jokes. At least, the ones that are bedroom communities, and not Nashville.

As far as I know, all the local TV stations here are Nashville COLs.

The Big 4 networks, CW, MNT and PBS are COLed to Nashville. ION is Cookeville (despite moving its stick to Whites Creek), TBN is Hendersonville, and there are two indies in Lebanon and Murfreesboro.

What city are you referring to, yours? Nashville has been metro since 1963. As far as I know, all the local TV stations here are Nashville COLs. The radio station COLs, for the most part, are jokes. At least, the ones that are bedroom communities, and not Nashville.

I was referring to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Since Nashville went metro, that would automatically make all COLs in Davidson county "Nashville". In Pittsburgh, all of the TV stations are COL in Pittsburgh, but the local radio stations are often in "independent" municipalities like Carnegie, McKeesport, Braddock, Homestead, Munhall, etc. There are well over 100 discrete, separate municipal entities in Allegheny county. For all practical intents and purposes, they're just 19th century political leftovers. But, from time to time, some idiot will start some controversy over why a station licensed to some tiny like township or borough doesn't have more programming to "serve" just the people in those few square miles of their COL instead of concentrating on everyone within the range of their signal.

As for television in Pittsburgh, the ABC affiliate's license is for Pittsburgh, their studios are in Wilkinsburg (which has Pittsburgh Zip Code), and their transmitter is in Buena Vista, a place few people in the Greater Pittsburgh area have ever heard of, or know where it's located, or can pronounce correctly!

The Christian station, WPCB, is licensed to Greensburg, the CW station, WPCW, is licensed to Jeannette.

I had to look all that information up. Few people who live in the Pittsburgh area know the official COL of the radio and TV stations, and even fewer care. I suspect that's the case in most other cities as well.

I was referring to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Since Nashville went metro, that would automatically make all COLs in Davidson county "Nashville". In Pittsburgh, all of the TV stations are COL in Pittsburgh, but the local radio stations are often in "independent" municipalities like Carnegie, McKeesport, Braddock, Homestead, Munhall, etc. There are well over 100 discrete, separate municipal entities in Allegheny county. For all practical intents and purposes, they're just 19th century political leftovers. But, from time to time, some idiot will start some controversy over why a station licensed to some tiny like township or borough doesn't have more programming to "serve" just the people in those few square miles of their COL instead of concentrating on everyone within the range of their signal.

The issue is partly that the FCC specifies "Community of License" and not "City of License". Take a look at the 2010 copy of the FCC rules (or look at the current one online at the FCC site) and do a search on "Community of License."

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-FCC/FCC-Rules-2010.pdf

The only place a City of License is mentioned is in reference to putting a specified signal strength over that place. Otherwise, all references are to "Community".

And a community is, as anyone who did the onerous ascertainment in the late 60's and 70's knows, is the area served by a station. When we did ascertainment of community needs, we looked at leadership individuals in every town, jurisdiction and city in our metro, not just the COL.

In television, where DMA's define a market, we may be talking about an entire state and adjacent areas in the case of small states... or huge pieces of several states, as in the SLC market.

If that city wasn't so totally stuck back in the 19th century politically, the entire metropolitan statistical area would be a single, unified city government, and all the local radio and TV stations would all have the same legal COL.

The DMA for Nashville (the "metro" for TV is a DMA) and it includes over 50 counties in two states. There is no way those counties are going to merge.

Even in radio, the MSA... which in radio means Metropolitan Survey Area, not Metropolitan Statistical Area... is 8 full counties. They are not going to merge in this or the next few lifetimes.

Traverse City-Cadillac:
Cadillac: WWTV (CBS 9), WCMV (PBS 27) - simulcast of WCMU, WFQX (FOX 32)
Cheboygan: WTOM (NBC 4) - simulcast of WPBN
Manistee: WCMW (PBS 21) - simulcast of WCMU
Sault Ste. Marie: WGTQ (ABC 8) - simulcast of WGTU, WWUP (CBS 10) - simulcast of WWTV
Traverse City: WPBN (NBC 7), WGTU (ABC 29)
Vanderbilt: WFUP (FOX 45) - simulcast of WFQX

Flint-Saginaw-Bay City:
Bad Axe: WDCQ (PBS 19)
Bay City: WNEM (CBS 5), WBSF (CW 46)
Flint: WJRT (ABC 12), WCMZ (PBS 28) - simulcast of WCMU, WSMH (FOX 66)
Mt. Pleasant: WCMU (PBS 14) - transmitter in the Traverse City-Cadillac market
Saginaw: WEYI (NBC 25), WAQP (TCT 49)

Grand Rapids:
Battle Creek: WOTV (ABC 41), WZPX (ION 43) - transmitter in the Lansing market
Grand Rapids: WOOD (NBC 8), WZZM (ABC 13), WXSP (MNTV 15), WXMI (FOX 17), WGVU (PBS 35)
Kalamazoo: WWMT (CBS 3), WLLA (IND 64)
Muskegon: WTLJ (TCT 54)

Lansing:
East Lansing: WKAR (PBS 23)
Jackson: WHTV (MNTV 18)
Lansing: WLNS (CBS 6), WSYM (FOX 47), WLAJ (ABC 53)
Onondaga: WILX (NBC 10)

Marquette:
Calumet: WBKP (CW 5)
Escanaba: WJMN (CBS 3) - simulcast of WFRV Green Bay, WI
Iron Mountain: WDHS (silent 8)
Ishpeming: WBUP (ABC 10)
Marquette: WLUC (NBC 6), WNMU (PBS 13), WZMQ (ThisTV 19)

Lansing:
East Lansing: WKAR (PBS 23)
Jackson: WHTV (MNTV 18)
Lansing: WLNS (CBS 6), WSYM (FOX 47), WLAJ (ABC 53)
Onondaga: WILX (NBC 10)

WHTV has its transmitter in the Detroit market, at WPXD's former site.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom