• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KING History to disappear?

It's the great gentrification method -- take something that is culturally and historically valuable, and wipe it out. Replace it with new, fancy looking, cheaply built condos.

Well that didn't take too long. Kilroy Real Estate (and apparently was here) purchased the entire block including the KING Broadcasting building and will probably tear it down. Cue the outrage..
I'm not surprised by this...with the downsizing of TV, I expected this to happen. It's just to hot a real estate market in South Lake Union.

It's the great gentrification method -- take something that is culturally and historically valuable, and wipe it out. Replace it with new, fancy looking, cheaply built condos.

It's called the American way. But seriously, did you think they would keep that building when the developer can make more $$money$$ from a 10+ story condo tower? The evidence exists all around down there.

No different than selling off an AM transmitter site in Kirkland or in the DC area for it's prime real estate.

This is sort of an abstract question, but what makes for good ground conductivity for AM signals?
Complete and total topic hijack alert! Generally a combination of ground water level, mineral makeup of the soil and surrounding soils (or salt water). The ground conductivity in the PNW is pretty bad, that's why stations locate on an island surrounded by salt water.

Complete and total topic hijack alert! Generally a combination of ground water level, mineral makeup of the soil and surrounding soils (or salt water). The ground conductivity in the PNW is pretty bad, that's why stations locate on an island surrounded by salt water.

Thanks for the info! That would certainly explain some of our local antenna farms.

Thanks for the info! That would certainly explain some of our local antenna farms.

Now back to the topic... CBC television sold off a huge portion of their downtown Vancouver property to accommodate new condo construction. They also tore off half of their building and tried to make everything more "state of the art" while conserving space. The result is a 1970's style concrete building attached to some sort of metal and glass structure. I guess its a good thing that a big chunk of the KING building is not being ripped off to have an out-of-place condo sticking up.

Now back to the topic... CBC television sold off a huge portion of their downtown Vancouver property to accommodate new condo construction. They also tore off half of their building and tried to make everything more "state of the art" while conserving space. The result is a 1970's style concrete building attached to some sort of metal and glass structure. I guess its a good thing that a big chunk of the KING building is not being ripped off to have an out-of-place condo sticking up.

I suspect if nobody else wants the KING building, the whole enchilada will be torn down. The KING building is exactly what you describe.. A very old concrete moving warehouse with a glass and post tension concrete addition. I can't imagine that sort of structure being very appealing to another type of business, let alone urban housing.

King moving

KING confirmed they are moving to Sodo by the stadiums today.news on its website now

Wow. Sad news for the KING-TV family. They have been in that Dexter Ave N building for decades...I suppose KING will now have a KPNX-like news set that turns "red" during breaking news. Ugh. Thank you very much, Gannett.

-crainbebo

Wow. Sad news for the KING-TV family. They have been in that Dexter Ave N building for decades...I suppose KING will now have a KPNX-like news set that turns "red" during breaking news. Ugh. Thank you very much, Gannett.

They haven't even started building the site, and you're declaring the new studios to be a failure already?

According to NW broadcasters, the new KING facilities will feature the only curbside studio in the market. While I really hate to see the old KING building go, this is a very neat idea.

New studios to be a failure? Maybe not a failure, but that Dexter Ave studio held KING, KING-FM, and then KONG and NWCN and KWPX, for DECADES! Remember, when I mean decades, I meant that Stan Boreson's show was taped from that same studio more than 50 years ago.
This is just like when KOMO demolished 4th North and Denny Way. Held the TV (and radio) studios for decades. Then Fisher Plaza took it out in around 2000.
KIRO's 3rd and Broad St building has been occupied by them for a long time.

-crainbebo

New studios to be a failure? Maybe not a failure, but that Dexter Ave studio held KING, KING-FM, and then KONG and NWCN and KWPX, for DECADES! Remember, when I mean decades, I meant that Stan Boreson's show was taped from that same studio more than 50 years ago.
This is just like when KOMO demolished 4th North and Denny Way. Held the TV (and radio) studios for decades. Then Fisher Plaza took it out in around 2000.
KIRO's 3rd and Broad St building has been occupied by them for a long time.

-crainbebo

Times change. This is the digital age now, and TV has to find ways compete by cutting costs and selling valuable property for extra revenue.

BTW, you forgot KING 1090 was located there until about '94 or '95 and before becoming KNWX and then moving to 770.

According to NW broadcasters, the new KING facilities will feature the only curbside studio in the market. While I really hate to see the old KING building go, this is a very neat idea.

Curbside window TV news studios may be neat. But I hope they don't attempt to arbitrate who's in or out of the studio TV camera's way outside on public sidewalks. Bad, BAD PR move....

Curbside window TV news studios may be neat. But I hope they don't attempt to arbitrate who's in or out of the studio TV camera's way outside on public sidewalks. Bad, BAD PR move....

It works really perfectly when the studio is up on a higher floor; its really neat to have the natural city background. As for a curbside studio... yeah I see what you mean. It might bring a whole new meaning to the term "the birds"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom