• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBEN Legend Celebrates 25 Years

Yes, advertising makes it all go - and some of these weekend shows news/talk stations like to run which are either hosted by people who are promoting themselves or outright informercials may have a place. When I lived in WNY I used to listen to this show on occassion and found it informative. But to call the host a "legend" is definitely pushing the envelope (over Niagara Falls). He is a subject matter expert who answers questions/gives advice - and he does it well - but he is NOT Danny Neaverth, John Otto, Stan Roberts, or many other examples.

According to "TheBigA"s standards, the guy doing Colon Blow will be a legend if he just hangs around long enough.

According to "TheBigA"s standards, the guy doing Colon Blow will be a legend if he just hangs around long enough.

As long as you don't admit that it's pre-1996 bad radio, because that invalidates all claims that the Telecom Act was bad for radio.

So you're equating a local home handyman show with colon cleaners? That puts Alan Freed's Moondog Matinee in the same infomercial category because the music he played was available at his sponsor's record store. I think there's a difference. And I don't think it has anything to do with whether or not the host can be called a legend.

For my money the Colon Blow commercial IS more legendary than the home improvement guy on WBEN. Spt87 is correct, Buffalo has many radio legends and this guy is NOT one of them, no matter what the promo says.

Programming

Infomrcials CAN be a good as any programming, but in this case it isn't.

"But what (Docket 80-90) did was dilute the audience and advertising money. Markets have a finite number of dollars, and this spread that money around more people, making localism harder to do. Five years after Docket 80-90, longtime owners were getting out like rats deserting a sinking ship."

Bingo, A!

Economics 101, folks. Competition drives down prices...read, "spot rates".

And now the extra competition from the Internet, satellite radio further dilutes the revenue available to each station.

"Whuut? Satellite doesn't hurt local revenues?!"

But it hurts PUR. And the fewer people you have using radio in general, the more difficult it may be for your station to justify higher rates. And if PUR in WNY is flat or even up, that's an anomaly...I'm guessing it's down like everywhere else.

I've stated before...allowing hurting stations to turn in their licenses for a tax credit may be a help. It certainly can't hurt.

Someday I want to do a little digging around my cluster - which houses The World's First Commercial Station - to see what they billed, say, back in 1948, before TV. Or 1964...or 1987...I know the billing has dropped since 2000. It takes fewer people to do the job so that helps but as we all know, many operators have long ago cut the fat, then they cut the meat and now are gnawing off bone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom