• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ESPN lives on in the Hudson Valley on WGNY, Newburgh – Sort of -Amid ID Confusion.

ESPN lives on in the Hudson Valley on WGNY, Newburgh – Sort of -amid ID confusion.
After several days of dead air Poughkeepsie Translator W247AW, 97.3 is relaying ESPN sports for the Hudson Valley. Obviously it is using WGNY-FM HD3 Rosendale for its programing source. That is good news for sports fans in Poughkeepsie .However without a similar translator in Newburgh it won’t be heard much in Newburgh because of W247AW’s somewhat directional signal to protect co-channel WZAD Wurtsboro.
However the legal Id still says WGNY-Newburgh and WGNY-FM HD3 Rosendale. Even the local sports report is referred to as sports 1220. That is despite the fact that 1220 WGNY-AM stopped carrying ESPN March 17th.
Furthermore despite that WGNY-AM has been simulcasting Oldies 98.9 WGNY-FM for almost 2 weeks there is no mention of the AM station at the TOH legal ID- even on WGNY-AM.

Last edited:
Good question. WGNY-AM has been simulcasting WGNY-FM's "Fox Oldies" for about 2 weeks since the launch of Bob O's new morning show with his sidekick Laurie G which is the first female DJ to do her morning show together, and then Van Ritshie moved to middays was a big mistake. He sounds terrible in middays since he was doing mornings at that time before he moved. I hope Van needs to retire soon and maybe let Gene Slather do middays and put Rich Stevens in afternoon drive and move Buffalo Bob to weekends. Big mistake for "Fox Oldies", and I want to see Van Ritshie go. About 2 years ago, Suzy Garcia was originally going to do middays on "Fox Oldies", but it is not happening, she's now doing middays on WCZX's "Mix 97.7".

Aside from that, I listened to 97.3 yesterday when I left work, and I heard that they're still running ESPN Radio on WGNY's HD3 channel and on AM 1220 where they are now carrying it on weekends. First, "Fox Oldies" on weekdays and "ESPN Radio" on weekends. That is a big problem. Maybe they should put ESPN radio on 98.9 and leave "Fox Oldies" at 1220 AM. Oldies doesn't' sound good on an FM dial which is rather too old to play a lot of 50's music. Over in Albany at WROW, they did a great job with oldies on AM which is "Magic 590", and that bring enough listeners that fans who grew up with the old CBS-FM back in the 1980's and 1990's which was the golden era of playing oldies. "Fox Oldies" is an example of playing the music that we all grew up with the old CBS-FM from about 1977, 1978, 1979, or possibly 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989 and into the 1990's. "Magic 590" has a great sounding mix than "Fox Oldies" did, the jingles sounded good and the liners that Ziggy made sounded excellent and it sounded a lot like CBS-FM except the JAM's "Do It Again" and "Home of the Hits" jingles sounded a lot better than that godawful jingles that "Fox Oldies" did was using the PAMS "Jet Set" package.

To get back to ESPN Radio, 1220 does that on weekends and "Fox Oldies" on weekdays and on 97.3, they're still running ESPN Radio which is kinda strange. I wish if WEOK/WALL should consider flipping to CBS Sports Radio which is a great idea. ESPN Radio has been on 1220 since last year and 97.3 during the last few months which is a terrible move since 98.7 in NYC cannot reach Poughkeepsie which is WEPN-FM while WEPN-AM now carrying a Spanish sports format known as ESPN Deportes which is a bad move back in the fall of 2012 where 1050 AM has a huge signal all over the Poughkeepsie and the entire HV area that carrying ESPN Deportes. What a disaster.

Here's a great idea, move ESPN Radio to 98.9 to have younger listeners with sports and move "Fox Oldies" back to 1220 where it belongs to have older listeners. That would be 1 KCS away from NYC's 98.7.

Like I said, WGNY-AM's ESPN Radio on 1220 and 97.3 is a big mistake, put oldies back to its format where it belongs.

And as of this week, 94.1 and 95.7 has finally pulled the plug on "Fox Drive FX" which was heard on WGNY and WJGK's HD2 channel and flipped to ESPN radio and spanning all over the Hudson Valley. "Fox Drive FX" can still be heard on WGNY's HD3 channel only. Now we got ESPN Radio on 1220 AM along with 94.1, 95.7 and 97.3 all together. And finally, WGNY ended the simulcast of "Fox Oldies" from 98.9 since it has been on 1220 for the past few weeks, but now it's back to ESPN Radio again. That oldies station on 1220 AM didn't last long, what a boneheaded move from Sunrise.

"Fox Drive FX" can still be heard on WGNY's HD3 channel only. Now we got ESPN Radio on 1220 AM along with 94.1, 95.7 and 97.3 all together. And finally, WGNY ended the simulcast of "Fox Oldies" from 98.9 since it has been on 1220 for the past few weeks, but now it's back to ESPN Radio again. That oldies station on 1220 AM didn't last long, what a boneheaded move from Sunrise.

So after this big grand publicized announcement on all Sunrise owned ‘Fox’ radio stations, including all the affected air personalities ,everything goes back as it was a month later. The only exception being now is that The Drive has been replaced by ESPN, which had been already available on WGNY-AM and on an FM translator at least in the Poughkeepsie market.
I enjoy ESPN and sports radio as much as the next guy and appreciate Sunrise broadcasting providing it to us. Apparently Sunrise caved to the angry ESPN sports fans that lost reception when it was dropped from its (relatively) powerful daytime anyway( nights not so much) AM station. I guess ‘The Fox’ radio decided to cancel this ill advised change completely, but this whole fiasco does not make sense.
Of course now they have pissed of The Drive people and replaced it perhaps temporary with programing they already broadcast on other frequencies.

So they are still producing programing for Fox The Drive FX , so why burry it on a HD3 channel nobody gets ? This makes even less sense !

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom