• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Has WAMB Gone all Spanish?

CDG

New Participating Member
Has WAMB Gone all Spanish?

I noticed on January 1st WAMB was all Spanish. I was wandering if the have changed Formats? Also I have noticed that WAMB AM is on the air sometimes all night long, so are they going to add a night time service at sometime?

Yes, they changed formats. If I'm not mistaken, they were already playing Spanish language programming part-time before the flip. WCOR/Lebanon has taken a couple hours during the day to broadcast standards/big band music.

WAMB doesn't have night service nor an app for night service.

Yeah, last I heard, WCOR has the former WAMB format from noon to 3:00 p.m. every afternoon, otherwise simulcasting with WANT-FM. To look at their website, you would not know about WCOR's separate programming, and would think that it is a 24/7 simulcast.

The Big Band WAMB that we knew left the air the day before Thanksgiving, when Dave Eastman signed off the air for the last time. From Thanksgiving Day to New Years Eve, WCOR-AM in Lebanon programming was being aired on both WAMB and WCOR and was purely much automated. On January 1, WAMB went All Spanish. As far as night time programming, their is a station on 1200 AM out of San Antonio, Texas that has a pretty strong night signal that I have picked up here, especially during the winter. It is the flagship staion for the San Antonio Spurs. Maybe that is what you heard.

Speaking of the format change at WAMB, how does that effect the Big Band Dances at Centennial Park, since WAMB was one of the MAIN SPONSORS for the dances. Will Metro Parks find a new media sponsor for the dances or will Metro Parks drop the dances altogether? The dances normally pull in a very sizable and devoted crowd on most Saturday nights to Centennial Park during the summer?

Also, does anyone know what Dave Eastman is doing since he left the air in November? All I know is that he is no longer with WAMB, WCOR or WANT (all owned by the late Bill Barry's family) in any capacity? Is he still in Nashville?

I look for metro to continue those big band dances out at Centennial Park, as long as they remain popular. Wonder if WCOR would step in and sponsor them now?

I highly doubt that WCOR would become a sponsor for the Big Band Dances since they are strictly a Lebanon station with very little presence in Davidson County outside of extreme Eastern Davidson County (Hermitage and maybe Donelson). Also, I do believe that the 12 Noon to 3 PM Big Band Music they air is all automated with No on-air personalities. I could see maybe Mix 92.9 becoming a sponsor, though.

Susie James (owner of WANT / WCOR in Lebanon). Bill Barry of WAMB was Susie's stepfather:

"Bitter sweet, bitter cold move today of approximately 5000 vinyl albums from 43 years at the WAMB studios. To all be labeled and available from Vanderbilt's Wilson Library at the Blair School of Music, stating "From the WAMB AM & FM collection of William O. (Bill) Barry, Vanderbilt Class of 1950". I think Pop would have been pleased with this decision."

I highly doubt that WCOR would become a sponsor for the Big Band Dances since they are strictly a Lebanon station with very little presence in Davidson County outside of extreme Eastern Davidson County (Hermitage and maybe Donelson). Also, I do believe that the 12 Noon to 3 PM Big Band Music they air is all automated with No on-air personalities. I could see maybe Mix 92.9 becoming a sponsor, though.
WAMB wasn't exactly huge over on this side of town either. As for Mix 92.9, they dropped their Sunday morning CCM after Brian Mason retired, so I don't see them extending themselves any further. However, it could be argued that with the Fish, WAY-FM, and now K-Love, that they really didn't need a CCM program on 92.9 anymore.

Speaking of the format change at WAMB, how does that effect the Big Band Dances at Centennial Park, since WAMB was one of the MAIN SPONSORS for the dances. Will Metro Parks find a new media sponsor for the dances or will Metro Parks drop the dances altogether? The dances normally pull in a very sizable and devoted crowd on most Saturday nights to Centennial Park during the summer?

Also, does anyone know what Dave Eastman is doing since he left the air in November? All I know is that he is no longer with WAMB, WCOR or WANT (all owned by the late Bill Barry's family) in any capacity? Is he still in Nashville?

since this is my first post I'll just let you know, I'm what they could call a troller. I've read the post here and read it at the previous board for a few years. While I'm not not the business I enjoy reading about the other side that many listeners dont get to hear about, both good and bad. Its fun to hear what the people who work in the business really have to say. Ya'll have more insight on what is out there and what is up and coming so its fun to find those hidden gems of radio stations that no one knows about.

That being said, I do know a little about the subject at hand. Yes, Metro will still be having the Big Band series this year in the park. While WAMB was a huge driving influence in making it a success, it is also becoming a bit self supporting. When you have crowds of 1,500-2,000 for those events and people of all ages at them it shows the great popularity it generated. It kicks off on June 7 and will run every Saturday until August 30. As for Dave, I have heard rumors that he will be there to emcee it. As for what he is doing these days, I do not know. As a fan of the music of that era I hate that we lost the station but its not about what the listeners like its what the market will support.

The Big Band Dances at Centennial Park are scheduled to be held as always this summer as they have for the past 30 summers, with Metro Parks as the primary Sponsor, along with Corner Music and Dance World. There is no local media sponsor with the dismise of WAMB this year. I did find it ironic that the first of the Big Band Dances scheduled for this year, Saturday Night June 7, was rained out, but as also APPROPRIATE since this is the first without WAMB Sponsorship.

There is no local media sponsor with the dismise of WAMB this year. I did find it ironic that the first of the Big Band Dances scheduled for this year, Saturday Night June 7, was rained out, but as also APPROPRIATE since this is the first without WAMB Sponsorship.
You're blaming a lack of media sponsorship for the dance getting rained out? Wow, that's cold! But I seriously doubt that they will all get rained out, so you may need to look for another scapegoat.

What's more problematic for me is that this summer is shaping up to be a repeat of last summer, when it rained almost every day! I was hoping for a much drier summer this year!

You're blaming a lack of media sponsorship for the dance getting rained out? Wow, that's cold! But I seriously doubt that they will all get rained out, so you may need to look for another scapegoat.

What's more problematic for me is that this summer is shaping up to be a repeat of last summer, when it rained almost every day! I was hoping for a much drier summer this year!

Where did I state in my previous post that I WAS BLAMING the rain-out of the Big Band Dance on LACK OF MEDIA SPONSORSHIP? All I said was it was IRONIC and kind of APPROPRIATE that the first one without WAMB as sponsor was rained out, never blamed it on anyone or anything. It was just an observation.

You're problem is you think you are smarter than ANYONE ELSE on this board. If a song wasn't played on Memphis radio when you were growing up, it was NEVER a hit. If someone in East Nashville or Southeast Nashville and beyond mentions anything about the signals of 102.5 FM and Hippie 94.5, you mention there is no signal problem and that you can pick up both signals in Pegram (or where ever you happen to live). Memphis and Pegram are not the CENTERS of the RADIO universe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom