the Alternative genre seems to forget its heritage
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the Alternative genre seems to forget its heritage

the Alternative genre seems to forget its heritage

Anyone notice that a majority of Alt Rock stations that play older music play nothing more than the same Weezer and Nirvana songs. Anything that isn't the same ol' grunge isn't really played at all. Which means most of the 90's that isn't Grunge or Weezer isn't played.

Don't even get me started with the 80's and the late 70's. Alternative as what it is wouldn't even exist if not for the CBGB, the punk-rock scene, the Post-Punk scene as well as the Factory Records/ Manchester Scene.

While things move on and times change, it's a bit odd that stations don't even generally play The Clash anymore. At least there's still the awesome flashback show on 91X every day at Noon Pacific Time.

On a related note, recently Music Choice dropped the Classic Alternative channel from its offerings.

The new Rock channel on Music Choice is playing Hair Metal from the 80's and Alternative from the 90's and 2k. Talk about confusion.

The End, KNDD in Seattle devotes 2 hours on Sunday mornings and the noon block on weekdays as "Resurrection Jukebox" They seem to play everything from Robyn Hitchcock to Beastie Boys. They even added a live person on Sundays.
    Chris Chronic

I'm a 42 year old male who loves Alternative music. While I appreciate the format history, I am a person who looks forward. The average 25 year old listener probably doesn't have any connection with early Alternative hits, which explains why they are put in as specialty show material. It is just a case of format evolution.
    Radio station employee...<br />Amateur photographer...<br />Cat slave...<br />Sarcasm expert...<br />Annual USA visitor...

I don't know what this means specifically, but WKZQ Myrtle Beach calls its music "new rock and classic alternative". They seem to have given up the metal from the 80s that they used to play, and overall the station's volume level sounds like the station can no longer have children. That's not to say there isn't any of the active rock type material, but it just isn't like it was.

Quote Originally Posted by leethalweapon View Post
    I'm a 42 year old male who loves Alternative music. While I appreciate the format history, I am a person who looks forward. The average 25 year old listener probably doesn't have any connection with early Alternative hits, which explains why they are put in as specialty show material. It is just a case of format evolution.
    Totally agree. Alternative/Modern Rock has always been primarily a new music format aimed at young adults, and like any other contemporary music format, you'd expect it to keep evolving. You don't hear CHR and Urban stations still playing their '80s and '90s hits anymore for the same reason.

Much of what's considered "Classic Alternative" is now getting plenty of play on Classic Rock and "Jack FM" and "best mix of the '80s, '90s and 2K" stations these days, and Alternative stations are finding more success lately as they let go of all but the biggest hits from their past, and return to their original mission of breaking new artists and new music (much of which has proven to be crossover-friendly lately).

Agree with all the points above. Modern/Alternative/Indie (what the hell do we call it now?) rock has ALWAYS been about new, groundbreaking music; but in the right formula it's mixed with the songs that are now classics that were once groundbreaking themselves. There are, heritage stations, like 91x for example that do a great job of recognizing this, that play new, emerging bands like Big Data, Tame Impala, Sir Sly to name a few, mixed with their fairly good gold selection which includes The Smiths, The Clash, Depeche Mode Social Distortion, etc. Agree, it should be more than just relegating gold to a few overplayed Green Day and Nirvana selections...

Quote Originally Posted by puddingpop View Post
    Much of what's considered "Classic Alternative" is now getting plenty of play on Classic Rock and "Jack FM" and "best mix of the '80s, '90s and 2K" stations these days, and Alternative stations are finding more success lately as they let go of all but the biggest hits from their past, and return to their original mission of breaking new artists and new music (much of which has proven to be crossover-friendly lately).
    I don't find your first point to be accurate at all, and your second point about artists being crossover-friendly is exactly what's holding "alternative" back.

G
    Formerly...but always... &quot;The Guru&quot; (Still as old &amp; crotchety as ever)

Quote Originally Posted by upstate29651 View Post
    ...and your second point about artists being crossover-friendly is exactly what's holding "alternative" back.
    Holding it back from what?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast