• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WDHC 92.9/WCST 1010 Berkley Springs Format Changes

Last year WDHC/WCST were sold to DC area's Metro Radio, known for Spanish language programming. Well starting this week WDHC (and presumably WCST; can't hear it or it's off) has flipped to a simulcast of WTNT AM 730/92.9 with Spanish adult contemporary.

Someone on DCRTV reports that WCST 1010 is doing automated oldies music. I guess that's at least a format most Morgan County residents will enjoy more.

Someone on DCRTV reports that WCST 1010 is doing automated oldies music. I guess that's at least a format most Morgan County residents will enjoy more.

Since I'm the only who cares; WCST now has more of an automated country/Americana on the limited signal. Maybe Metro can get a FM translator for 1010 to serve the local audience again?

Since I'm the only who cares; WCST now has more of an automated country/Americana on the limited signal. Maybe Metro can get a FM translator for 1010 to serve the local audience again?

Wonder what became of their staff pre-Metro since I know Stacy Drake though we haven't chat in a long time.

Maybe they could make an offer for 107.5 or 107.7 Catholic Radio since I believe they are in the same building as WCST ??
Then again it has been ten years since I last heard that.

Ah the link doesn't work. I wonder if they will re-hire the staff ?? Anyway it's a radio station few care about past and present formats. Like Winchester, VA''s WXVA AM & FM, Martinsburg, WV's WICL and a few of the Hagerstown, MD stations they don't have much in the way of listeners. Like in the case of WXVA I don't think WDHC has ever made the book. And like WXVA, WICL and a few others WDHC could go dark tomorrow and unfortunately many will not even notice it. It's the same with WCST too. You can't pick them up even in large sections of it's own county,

Last edited:
Ah the link doesn't work. I wonder if they will re-hire the staff ?? Anyway it's a radio station few care about past and present formats. Like Winchester, VA''s WXVA AM & FM, Martinsburg, WV's WICL and a few of the Hagerstown, MD stations they don't have much in the way of listeners. Like in the case of WXVA I don't think WDHC has ever made the book. And like WXVA, WICL and a few others WDHC could go dark tomorrow and unfortunately many will not even notice it. It's the same with WCST too. You can't pick them up even in large sections of it's own county,

According to Wikipedia;

"Due to community backlash, Metro Radio entered into a local marketing agreement with Hancock, Maryland restaurant owner Diane Smith, who will flip the station back to English-language classic hits on May 1."

When the article was readable Stacy Drake is back, so that's at least one.

Personally I find rural radio interesting, I check these types of stations when traveling. I'm sure the locals care, and the programing can sometimes be more interesting than bigger market signals.

Did they change back to MAX ???

"Due to community backlash.." I have to wonder if this is a case of "One complaint" equals a thousand complaints. WICL did this !!!! If WICL received one, two or even 3 complaints and that is it then it becomes massive like we got a lot of calls. Anyway it's good to see Stacy Drake is back but on the other hand the man is over 70 !!! Does he know the word "retirement" ?? That area has way too many people on the air just waiting for retirement. Stacy Drake WDHC, Rick Alexander WIKZ, Lou Scally WJEJ/WHAG-TV, Randy Woodward WZRV, Chris Mitchell Q102, Scott Bradley WFQX, Barry Lee WINC, Rob Mario WRNR...all well into their 50s and 60s.

Did they change back to MAX ???

Yup, listened to some of it Monday morning. Also the TOH ID mentioned WCST so must be simulcasting on weak 1010. Makes me wonder why Metro bought the thing now, can't imagine this is what they originally intended.

Last weekend driving through Berkley Springs WCST 1010 was on simulcasting Max with horrible unlistenable over-modulation. If the owners (or programmers) aren't even listening haha.

Last weekend driving through Berkley Springs WCST 1010 was on simulcasting Max with horrible unlistenable over-modulation. If the owners (or programmers) aren't even listening haha.

WCST 1010 always had this problem. I don't even think they care !!

Last week I was talking to a friend of mine who still works in radio in Martinsburg and she was saying she has heard that Stacy Drake is doing his show from a restaurant and has been since MAX was brought back.

Metro is throwing in the towel on the stations, they can be yours for a cool $365,000 if you want them. Wonder if the current programmers will buy them?

Buyer found, West Virginia Radio Corporation. Max 92.9 will evolve to classic hits, 1010 WCST will become a simulcast of WEPM.

WEPM probably only wants WCST for its translator. Interestingly, last time i looked there has been no application filed at all relating to the stations being sold to WV Radio.

No surprise that there’s no application at the FCC yet. That’s usually one of the last documents filed in a sale these days.

Plus, given that both stations are apparently losing their tower, it’s quite possible there’s an agreement in the LMA that no sale will take place until the stations get on their new tower. Even if WV Radio is responsible for getting everything in order for the tower move, it might not buy it outright first so as to not get saddled with the full price of the purchase should something fall through.

I doubt that they are loosing the tower. That article is wrong in so many ways, that Diane Smith is the LMAer, not the owner of the actual station. They lost their lease of the station because Metro Radio is selling it. I don't think Metro would have a reason to keep the tower once they sell. That article makes it sound like Smith owned everything when all she did was provide the programming.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom