• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KKLF AM 1700 Flips to Tejano???

djmannyb

Heard Tejano Music on the signal.. I wonder if it will work, they seem to be playing older tejano mixed with new tejano/conjunto/norteno music..

Heard Tejano Music on the signal.. I wonder if it will work, they seem to be playing older tejano mixed with new tejano/conjunto/norteno music..

Tejano is mostly a 35+ format and very gold based.

A) Yes, x-band stations are eligible to show up in the ratings - though not many do. Probably the most successful x-band station in terms of share is WTAW-Bryan/College Station, TX which regularly showed up in the 8-9 share range when it was a subscriber.

B) KKLF is now branded as "KICK 1700" (perhaps as a nod to DFW's first Tejano station, Kick 99.1/107.9) While the music is Tejano, the imaging is all English: "thanks for joining the Tejano music revolution", "rockin' the Metroplex with total Tejano"

A) Yes, some x-band stations do show up in the ratings. Probably the most successful x-band station in terms of share is WTAW/1620 in Bryan/College Station, TX, which regularly showed up in the 8-9 share range when it was a subscriber.

B) KKLF is now branded as "KICK 1700" (perhaps as a nod to DFW's first Tejano station, Kick 99.1/107.9) While the music is Tejano, the imaging is all English: "thanks for joining the Tejano music revolution", "rockin' the Metroplex with total Tejano". Despite this, it would still probably be wise for a Spanish-language station to change those call letters. :)

B) KKLF is now branded as "KICK 1700" (perhaps as a nod to DFW's first Tejano station, Kick 99.1/107.9) While the music is Tejano, the imaging is all English: "thanks for joining the Tejano music revolution", "rockin' the Metroplex with total Tejano". Despite this, it would still probably be wise for a Spanish-language station to change those call letters. :)

A typical Tejano station, if there is such a thing, will have the imaging, commercials and jock talk in English or a Spanglish that's more English than Spanish. Music is usually more Spanish than English. It's technically not a Spanish-language format, and one of the strong selling points of the format 20 years ago was that it wasn't subject to Spanish-language discounts from advertisers.

I do, however, agree with you that those calls should be changed!

What's wrong with the current call letters? I don't know Spanish, so I can't tell anything.

What's wrong with the current call letters? I don't know Spanish, so I can't tell anything.

The double "K" in Spanish is pronounced as "kah kah" which is slang for excrement.

The excuse was used by Liberman to get the historic KHJ callsign back on 930 in LA (Which had been KKHJ for a long while)..However if they use English to ID the station, then there is no problem (and I wish the FCC would make it a requirement that stations DO ID in English no matter what format..President is already set, on the amateur bands, stations can talk in any language BUT are required to ID in English under part 97)

The excuse was used by Liberman to get the historic KHJ callsign back on 930 in LA (Which had been KKHJ for a long while)..However if they use English to ID the station, then there is no problem (and I wish the FCC would make it a requirement that stations DO ID in English no matter what format..President(sic) is already set, on the amateur bands, stations can talk in any language BUT are required to ID in English under part 97)

I believe KP4's can ID in Spanish.

I was told hams in American Somoa could ID in Somoan as well.

Commercial stations in Puerto Rico have long been able to ID in ether language, going back at least to the 30's.

KKHJ only used the calls once an hour, in a blurry-fast English language ID. Like most stations in Spanish, it otherwise used a station name dozens of times an hour.

I believe KP4's can ID in Spanish.

I was told hams in American Somoa could ID in Somoan as well.

Commercial stations in Puerto Rico have long been able to ID in ether language, going back at least to the 30's.

KKHJ only used the calls once an hour, in a blurry-fast English language ID. Like most stations in Spanish, it otherwise used a station name dozens of times an hour.

Broadcast station in the US are not restricted to the English language under Part 73.

Any FCC licensed radio amateur station must ID under Part 97 rules:

§97.119 Station identification.
(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving the transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not authorized to the station.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:

(2) By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station identification is encouraged;

When AM band conditions are in, KKLF comes in quite well over here in Washington state. Better than it used to when it was comedy. I often hear it competing with XEPE (ESPN San Diego), and sometimes covering KVNS, when it used to be rare to even hear KKLF.

Power reduction?

Last few nights, they seem to have run all night from the north tower site. Signal level near Lucas (just west of) didn't change nor did the 'bearing' to the active site ...

J

Confirmed it... For at least the past month KKLF fights with KVNS here in San Antonio when before Claro Communications bought it it never used to come in.
I've actually read on other RD boards before that Claro's head guy is a little, can we say adventurous?
But hey, I'm not complaining as it just puts music where an otherwise boring talk station would dominate if this weren't happening! LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom