+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainsmokers - #Selfy

Chainsmokers - #Selfy

Has anyone heard this yet? My reaction when I first heard this, so this is what passes as music these days? I have to admit some of the lines are pretty funny and it does have a good beat, but seriously?

Angry

It's horrible. I have to change it every time I hear it.

We will pass on this one. A novelty that needs to go away.

A song about a popular social media "thing." What do you expect for top 40/CHR?

-crainbebo
    654 AM's in the log, 389 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 94.5 KHTQ-ID, KRXY-WA, CFBT-BC 9/27/14 (KATS off briefly)
    Last New AM Log: 1560 KKAA-SD, 1660 WBCN-NC (new state!!), 1510 KCKK-CO 11/14 early 11/15/14

Uh, could you even call that a song? That's my biggest problem with it.

When I first heard that what does the fox say song, I thought that was the worst song I have ever heard. After 30 seconds of this song, my opinion has changed.

Cripes, I feel like I've step into a retirement home or something...

First rule of being a Program Director or Music Director: Program to what your audience/market wants to hear, NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.

As far as #Selfee is concern: It is among the most added records for the fourth week in a row, according to BDS, it's #21 with a bullet on the BDS Mainstream CHR chart in its 4th week, and #2 on BDS's Dance/Mix Show Airplay chart.

And it's a fun song, something in the vein of "Valley Girl" by Frank and Moon Unit Zappa.

BTW: "What Does The Fox Say" by Ylvis was never really meant to be a song per se. It was created as an anti-hit by Norwegian comedy duo/brothers Vegard and Bård Ylvisåker under their stage name Ylvis to promote the third season of their show on TVNorg. They made a deadpan video for it and it took off from there. The internet get the credit (or blame) for breaking that song.

Robyn

What Does he Fox Say was actually a pretty decent song compared to this. It would have been a lot better had they decided to do a synthesizer interlude during the chorus instead of the stuff with their voices. Anyone with a little audio editing experience could have put #Selfy together, all it is is just a conversation where you only hear the one voice.

I don't look at #Selfie as a song to take seriously from a lyrical or artistically standpoint. I look at it as a hot fun uptempo dance record about a young woman taking a photo of herself and putting it online, while commenting on what's going on from her vapid point of view. It goes well with the other uptempo pop that is out there like Katy Perry's "Dark Horse", "Pharrell Williams' "Happy", and so on.

As far as production, It's not bad, the radio edit clocks in at 3:00, while the commercial single is at 3:43. I've heard worse. The intro to the album version of Beyonce's "Drunk In Love" comes to mind. That sounds like Cartman from "South Park" trying to either sing or howl at a full moon.

Robyn

That it has a good beat to it is the only redeeming quality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast