• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Me-TV To Debut on Channel 3.1 in NYC Market in Spring

Here is the very latest -- KVNV has submitted an amended filing to the FCC where they propose to operate over the air on channel 3.10. They will give up 3.1 through 3.9 to WFSB as well as giving up cable channel 3 in CT. Will this appease WFSB? Time will tell.

Here is the very latest -- KVNV has submitted an amended filing to the FCC where they propose to operate over the air on channel 3.10. They will give up 3.1 through 3.9 to WFSB as well as giving up cable channel 3 in CT. Will this appease WFSB? Time will tell.
According to the proposal released for public comment yesterday, WFSB doesn't accept the idea. And the Commission points out that there is also a PSIP conflict between KVNV and KYW-TV, also on channel 3, at the opposite end of KVNV's signal.

I think the FCC should assign PSIP channel 37 whenever these conflicts arise, since that channel has been reserved for radio astronomy since 1963 and no station was ever licensed on that channel, so it can't create new conflicts.

According to the proposal released for public comment yesterday, WFSB doesn't accept the idea. And the Commission points out that there is also a PSIP conflict between KVNV and KYW-TV, also on channel 3, at the opposite end of KVNV's signal.

I think the FCC should assign PSIP channel 37 whenever these conflicts arise, since that channel has been reserved for radio astronomy since 1963 and no station was ever licensed on that channel, so it can't create new conflicts.

KVNV actually asked, at one point, to be assigned channel 14, which is reserved in New York for land mobile and thus won't be used for TV anyway. I think that solves the problem neatly in the same way a mapping to 37 would, while keeping the station "in the VHF neighborhood" which is what KVNV actually wants.

- Trip

KVNV actually asked, at one point, to be assigned channel 14, which is reserved in New York for land mobile and thus won't be used for TV anyway. I think that solves the problem neatly in the same way a mapping to 37 would, while keeping the station "in the VHF neighborhood" which is what KVNV actually wants.

- Trip

I was thinking the same thing as both of you guys. This new channel won't even be referring to a channel number in their imaging anyway (I don't think), so whatever PSIP channel number they use won't matter to anyone watching the station.

I was thinking the same thing as both of you guys. This new channel won't even be referring to a channel number in their imaging anyway (I don't think), so whatever PSIP channel number they use won't matter to anyone watching the station.

Their Wilmington/Philadelphia station does -- http://kjwp2.com/ It is also rumored that they have registered KJLP3.com for New York/New Jersey -- again, not confirmed, just internet chatter.

Also -- how likely is it that the FCC will block overlapping PSIPs? For example, the New York area has two 43s -- WZME, BRIDGEPORT, CT and WNXY-LD, NEW YORK, NY and channels appear in this order:

43-1 WZME Me-TV

43-1 WNXY CCTV News

43-2 WZME The Works

43-2 WNXY CCTV 4

43-3 WNXY CCTV Spanish

Me TV is officially on the air as of 6pm tonight! They are branded as Me TV 3- New Jersey/New York. The call letters are supposed to change to WJLP at midnight tonight. Currently KVNV 3-10.

It's not on Fios yet either. I think with must-carry the cable companies have 30 days to add the channel.

With respect to cable carriage, the decision on when and where on the channel lineup still rests with the FCC. There's no indication that those issues are worked out yet. I also believe that KVNV's use of PSIP channel 3 is still in dispute with Meredith (WFSB). That's also in the FCC's lap.

With respect to cable carriage, the decision on when and where on the channel lineup still rests with the FCC. There's no indication that those issues are worked out yet. I also believe that KVNV's use of PSIP channel 3 is still in dispute with Meredith (WFSB). That's also in the FCC's lap.

There is no reason WJLP can't be added in places like NJ where WFSB is not a factor. Besides, if the dispute was still going on I doubt they would have been allowed to sign on the air to begin with. I read on another site that there was a FCC agreement for PSIP 3-10, which is what is currently on air.

Last edited:
Of course you need to have an elaborate antenna, preferably rooftop to get the over the air signal in its COL Middletown NJ. I guess the prospects of cable coverage will make this project worth while.

Of course you need to have an elaborate antenna, preferably rooftop to get the over the air signal in its COL Middletown NJ. I guess the prospects of cable coverage will make this project worth while.

You really shouldn't need an "elaborate" antenna from that location. You need an antenna designed for VHF. A pair of rabbit ears should do it. I have a $5 dipole wire antenna connected to my TV in West Orange and I have no trouble pulling in the station.

I was unable to get a signal from KVNV/WJLP from my grandmother house in Springfield, NJ . Using a portable RCA DTV I re scanned many and moved the Radio Shack digital antenna around and was unsuccessful every time . I was able to get the other NYC Physical VHF stations WABC 7, WPIX 11 and WNET 13 all from the Empire State Building the difference being is KVNV/WJLP is coming from the Condé Nast Budilding.

Clarification of my previous response. I live 24 miles from the transmitter according to tvfool.com in Middletown NJ the COL. Reception on the 1st floor of my home which is aprox 20ft above sea level using a "rabbit ear" adjusted to Ch3 frequency is non existent after repeated scans and relocation of the antenna. 2nd floor reception was established after a few scans and reorientation of the antenna. My thoughts are that the fcc regulations regarding COL vs actual transmitter location seem to be too liberal as far as putting a strong signal in the COL.

No, the problem is its LOWBAND and limited in ERP (only 6KW...whereas analog stations were allowed 100KW visual)..ATSC does NOT like impulse noise present in lowband channels....and with such weak ERPs plus any obstructions in the way, lowband DTVs like this one dont cover worth a flip...Houston had a DTV 5 before June 2009 (one of the UHF stations used 5 for its pre-transition channel...then went back to their analog channel) and you could be looking at the tower at a distance and still not pick up the signal!!

The 28dbu contour is here: https://maps.google.com/?q=http://t...tour=28&city=MIDDLETOWN_TOWNSHIP&state=NJ.kml

The FCC based receiving contours on an outdoor, 30 ft high antenna...(which is totally stupid!)....so there you go.

No, the problem is its LOWBAND and limited in ERP (only 6KW...whereas analog stations were allowed 100KW visual).

Up to 100 kW. In New York, WCBS ran 45 kW and WNBC/WNYW 30 kW each from the Empire State Building due to their height. On the World Trade Center, those power levels were even lower (21.4 kW/17.4 kW/17.4 kW, respectively).

- Trip

Thank you Trip...yeah I left the word "up" out of that...still, lowband just doesnt cut it for DTV....especially at the ERPs given by the FCC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom